Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was on the way to work the other day when My AC just quit cooling. It was about 85 outside and I had the climate control set on 68. I was driving down the interstate. It quit cooling for about 15 minutes and then started cooling again. I have been experiencing intermittent issues for over a week now. When I first start the truck, it does not cool. I can roll the windows down and the compressor kicks on and it starts to cool. Does anyone have any ideas before I take it to the dealership?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Low freon maybe... or a failing relay. Some of the solid state relays can get hot and fail. Then cool down and start working... But other then that I have no idea,

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts
My bet is on low Freon...

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
Do the RL's have a sight glass on the filter drier where you can see if there are bubbles in the a/c system? I can't remember. I haven't owned one for about five years. If there is one and the sight glass has bubbles in it as the system is working, then it is low on refrigerant. Make sure you allow the system to stay on for a few minutes before checking the sight glass. Be very careful adding refrigerant. Honda systems hold very little compared to others, and sight glasses are only "accurate" if the temperature outside is between about 70 and 90 degrees. The only way to be sure you have the correct amount of refrigerant is to evacuate the system then add a known quantity from cans. If you use a bulk tank you must use a scale or have an electronic dispenser.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts