Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
i've had my '14 SE since end of August and love it but lately (and maybe it's always done this but never noticed until a few weeks ago) when accelerating from completely stopped (heavy and light foot on pedal) when i get to 3rd gear it shifts but then it takes a few seconds revving high before it drops back down to around 2k RPM then it'll resume and then kick into 4th and drop normally. I've tested this on completely flat paved surfaces to make sure it wasn't just on inclines trying to search for the best gear. I checked my tranny fluid level when cold and it was on the "HOT' level. Just wanted to know if it's anything I should be concerned about. thank you.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Hey Fizz,
If I read your description correctly, this is completely abnormal. You should be taking this problem to your dealer under warranty. Our transmissions are a very complex (& expensive) part of our trucks & should not be taken lightly when something is amiss.... especially on such a new vehicles as yours.
I'm surprised you didn't get more replies along this line before. Take it in!
.... and let us know what you/they find out.

(sorry for the delayed response... I've been away)

·
Registered
262 Posts
My '14 SE is in the shop for the this issue and a few others. I'll post up what the results are, but it's not normal.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh ok well then that definitely means it's something alright, please reply with what they say. how long have you had it in the shop? did you take it to honda?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I took it in the shop this morning to the Honda dealer where I bought it.

I took their master transmission tech out with me and buried the pedal....reproducing the issue. I had a new issue at the same time. This time during the shift from 2nd to 3rd, the transmission hunted then shuddered and went into gear. Having the pedal buried, I wound the engine up to the red line before it shifted. The master tech had a look about him that made me laugh...then I realized this was my truck.

I'll keep you posted but have high hopes of internal issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hope they fix this easily and doesn't happen again, very disappointing to hear and to experience myself. mine doesn't take that long to shift, it just doesn't go down back to 2k RPM after shifting to 4th gear. it'll get to around 2500 RPM for a few seconds then go down to right below 2000 RPM.

·
Administrator
16,058 Posts
I've been getting an occasional harsh 3-2 downshift when coasting to a stop on my '14. It hasn't been severe or frequent enough to justify a dreaded dealer visit yet, but I'm keeping my "eye" on it. It's normally imperceptible, but every now and then it'll jolt into 2nd.

·
Registered
93 Posts
hmm, that is odd, mine doesn't act that weird, but I always though the shifts on it were kinda rough, esp compared to my 06 accord...but that could just be the truck in general? Its my wife's so I don't drive it too often and a wheel could fall off before she told me something was wrong with it :eek:

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I've been getting an occasional harsh 3-2 downshift when coasting to a stop on my '14. It hasn't been severe or frequent enough to justify a dreaded dealer visit yet, but I'm keeping my "eye" on it. It's normally imperceptible, but every now and then it'll jolt into 2nd.
Are you going downhill by chance when this happens??? I'm wondering about the engine braking feature of this tranny, and when/how it senses the need to shift down for hills.

Also... why the title for this thread (Accelerating) ?? Did I miss something in your description of the downshift problem?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you going downhill by chance when this happens??? I'm wondering about the engine braking feature of this tranny, and when/how it senses the need to shift down for hills.

Also... why the title for this thread (Accelerating) ?? Did I miss something in your description of the downshift problem?
i'm the one that started this thread and my concern is something i noticed while accelerating as mentioned previously, someone else mentioned their observation while downshifting. thanks.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Thanks Fizz.....I see that now..... Hijack alert :act024:

So ZRog.... maybe you want to start a separate thread in order to keep the replies cleared up? Does sound like a different Tranny problem..... maybe.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Got mine back yesterday afternoon. Verdict on the transmission was two faulty valve bodies and trash in the transmission.

The truck only had 3200 miles on it so they replaced the transmission with a new one. It drives like it should now.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for sharing and glad to hear it's good now. Did they say where this trash came from?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts