Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Sport model. At times when I have stopped and start to go the engine will not respond to the throttle until half down and then the vehicle surges forward. Many trips to dealer and, of course, no problem found. One of the service guys said he had same problem on his 2007 Ridgeline. Has anybody else had this problem? any fixes?

·
Registered
4,171 Posts
Check that the floormat isn't trapped under there.

Otherwise, I would look at changing the pedal position sensor out. IIRC, it's an $80 part.

Chip H.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I have a 2013 Sport model. At times when I have stopped and start to go the engine will not respond to the throttle until half down and then the vehicle surges forward. Many trips to dealer and, of course, no problem found. One of the service guys said he had same problem on his 2007 Ridgeline. Has anybody else had this problem? any fixes?
Assume you know this vehicle will not accelerate when your foot is on the brake. Some type of safety precaution. Make sure foot off of brake then engine should accelerate properly. I'm a two footed driver and this feature drives me nuts.

·
Administrator
17,178 Posts
The accelerator pedal position sensor assembly (mounted in the upper, rear of the engine compartment on the passenger's side) contains two, redundant potentiometers. Both must agree within a specific tolerance or the throttle blade won't be allowed to open normally. A discrepancy in either of these sensors will result in a DTC.

As a side note, I was surprised by Honda's implementation of BTI (Brake Throttle Interlock) on my '14 Ridgeline. The engine will still rev to the stall speed of the torque converter at a stop with the brake and accelerator applied simultaneously. Even when the vehicle is in motion, I can still accelerate while the brake pedal is depressed, although I can tell the throttle opening is limited. In some other vehicles I've driven with BTIs (a rental Nissan Versa and Toyota Sienna come to mind), the throttle won't respond at all if your foot is on the brake.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I HAVE THIS SAME ISSUE!! It is intermittent though. But it normally happens when I go over a sharp speed bump about 5-10 mph. My throttle becomes completely dead for about 2 seconds. I can push it all the way to the floor multiple times before it all of a sudden kicks in. Never a check engine light though. 06 ridgeline.

·
Administrator
17,178 Posts
I HAVE THIS SAME ISSUE!! It is intermittent though. But it normally happens when I go over a sharp speed bump about 5-10 mph. My throttle becomes completely dead for about 2 seconds. I can push it all the way to the floor multiple times before it all of a sudden kicks in. Never a check engine light though. 06 ridgeline.
I've experienced conditions on a few very rare occasions where there is just enough wheel slippage to cause the traction control to intervene, but so brief that the VSA indicator doesn't illuminate.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I think I've had that happen. At the time I thought the engine was missing (but it was smooth) but no response to pedal pressure.

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,069 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had this issue a couple of weeks ago. I was getting jerky response at redlights, and very harsh shifting at highway speeds. When I put on cruise control, the shifts were better. After trying to just clean the connections (which worked for maybe a day), I changed out the accelerator position sensor. Worked like a charm. Two weeks and no problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had this issue a couple of weeks ago. I was getting jerky response at redlights, and very harsh shifting at highway speeds. When I put on cruise control, the shifts were better. After trying to just clean the connections (which worked for maybe a day), I changed out the accelerator position sensor. Worked like a charm. Two weeks and no problems.
What model of Honda do you have? What sensor did you buy for it please? Having the saame struggle now with my honda ridgeline 4wd 2012.

Cheers,

A.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts