Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was fooling around and put my VIN into this website: Free Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) Decoder & Lookup.
It came up with this recall about the accelerator pedal. Looks like it just started. Since my RL was imported from Canada I don't trust anyone to provide me with recall info I feel it's in my best interest to do this once in a while.
Please see attached. Well I guess I can't attach a Word doc to this message. I'll have to copy and paste. I hope this doesn't get too ugly.

Well that's not too bad. Hope this helps out.

·
Administrator
14,959 Posts
This is a part being recalled by an aftermarket parts manufacturer (Dorman). This is not a recall from Honda and does not apply to the accelerator pedal assembly originally installed in the vehicle by Honda. This would only be a concern if you replaced your accelerator pedal assembly with an aftermarket version from Dorman.

·
Registered
399 Posts
This is a part being recalled by an aftermarket parts manufacturer (Dorman). This is not a recall from Honda and does not apply to the accelerator pedal assembly originally installed in the vehicle by Honda. This would only be a concern if you replaced your accelerator pedal assembly with an aftermarket version from Dorman.
Hmm, I'm suspicious. Here's why -- 3rd party parts market is MASSIVE and this would be a crazy nightmare to manage faulty parts.

I'm wondering if what's going on here is that it's not just aftermarket, but an officially-condoned aftermarket parts that are used by repair shops or even the service dept for aftermarket use, increasing liability substantially.

For example, I'm guessing that there's zero chance that a faulty Sprint Booster gets listed on this site.

·
Administrator
14,959 Posts
Hmm, I'm suspicious. Here's why -- 3rd party parts market is MASSIVE and this would be a crazy nightmare to manage faulty parts.

I'm wondering if what's going on here is that it's not just aftermarket, but an officially-condoned aftermarket parts that are used by repair shops, increasing liability substantially.

For example, I'm guessing that there's zero chance that a faulty Sprint Booster gets listed on this site.
From Dorman's website:

"At our heart, we do two things: supply new products that match the fit, function and performance of original equipment manufacturer parts, and reengineer parts to fix common flaws in original part designs."

The 1999 Buick Regal that I bought new had a nylon intake manifold that was prone to thermal degradation caused by tube that ran through it that contained hot exhaust gases. Eventually, all the GM manifolds would fail in this manner. GM eventually reverted back to the the use of aluminum for this manifold, but it was not a direct swap. Dorman designed an aftermarket replacement that was reinforced in the problem area.

Dorman products are all aftermarket replacement parts purchased by independent mechanics and individuals. They are not used by automakers.

·
Registered
399 Posts
From Dorman's website:

"At our heart, we do two things: supply new products that match the fit, function and performance of original equipment manufacturer parts, and reengineer parts to fix common flaws in original part designs."

The 1999 Buick Regal that I bought new had a nylon intake manifold that was prone to thermal degradation caused by tube that ran through it that contained hot exhaust gases. Eventually, all the GM manifolds would fail in this manner. GM eventually reverted back to the the use of aluminum for this manifold, but it was not a direct swap. Dorman designed an aftermarket replacement that was reinforced in the problem area.

Dorman products are all aftermarket replacement parts purchased by independent mechanics and individuals. They are not used by automakers.
Bingo, repair shops use them as aftermarket OEM replacements. I bet if it were a pedal extender it wouldnt have a recall.

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did call my Honda dealer an asked about this. They said they'd get back to me as their website had crashed? Haven't heard from them yet and frankly, I don't expect to.
I'll hit them again on Monday just to hear what they have to say.
Being retired, I have lots of time to be a pain the ass to corporations!

Reactions: RLG1fan

·
Premium Member
2011 VP Bali Blue Pearl
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Follow up:
Called Dorman and yes it's only for their aftermarket gas pedal.
Honda denies any such recall for their products.

Another mystery solved! ;)

Reactions: RLG1fan
1 - 7 of 7 Posts