Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
I'll post a couple of pics here, but for the whole story in pictures visit my web site: http://homepage.mac.com/coolcat/Ridgeline/PhotoAlbum41.html

A couple things to note:
1. There are only 5 torx bolts that hold on the side bed walls once the cleats are removed, not 6 as the instructions say.
2. Have a vacuum handy to suck up the fiberglass dust from drilling, I didn't and now I'm all itchy.
3. Even though its really easy to take the bed apart it is also very frustrating to do so three times because you just broke off a drill bit or a self-tapping screw. :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the pix.

Do you think the velco will get ruined over time if the cover is usually left in the open position? Trying to decide between Access Cover and Retrax.

·
Registered
338 Posts
absame said:
Thanks for the pix.
No Problem.

absame said:
Do you think the velco will get ruined over time if the cover is usually left in the open position? Trying to decide between Access Cover and Retrax.
No, I don't think so. Of course, I've had all of about 10 hours of experience with it installed so far. :) Haven't even left the garage yet! Really though, Access Covers are really popular, lots of people have them on their trucks (I've been keeping an eye out for these things lately). The "stiff" part of the velcro is what's attached to the rails and it is seriously stiff. I suppose the worst that could happen to it is that it gets full of muck or dust or something, but then I'm sure you could take a stiff bristled brush to it and clean it out. AgriCover has done a really good job with this cover from what I can tell so far.

·
Registered
169 Posts
How well does the trunk lid open?

I'm concerned since I have a lot of tools and cases in the trunk and need to open it fully usually to get in and out. Any chance of a photo showing the lid open ?

Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
utvnut said:
How well does the trunk lid open?

I'm concerned since I have a lot of tools and cases in the trunk and need to open it fully usually to get in and out. Any chance of a photo showing the lid open ?

Thanks
There are pictures of the trunk lid open on my web site, I'll attach a couple here as well. It opens pretty far, though not as much as it did without the cover, but we knew that was the case. I don't think that it'll cause any problems for me with the use of the trunk.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Coolcat, where did you buy it, how much, and how long did it take you to install? Was it difficult?

Thanks,

·
Registered
338 Posts
meanmachine19 said:
Coolcat, where did you buy it, how much, and how long did it take you to install? Was it difficult?

Thanks,

I bought it from The Cap Connection in Waukesha, WI. Their price is $399, which is $50 less than all the other local dealers in my area and almost $100 less than the MSRP.

The install really isn't difficult. It took me longer than it should have because: 1. I was taking it slow and taking pictures - and 2. I broke a drill bit and a self-tapping screw which required disassembling the entire bed an extra 2 times, for a total of 3. My total time was about 4 hours, but take away the picture taking and breaking stuff and I could have had it done in under 2 hours. I'm sure I could do another one in under 2 hours, as long as nothing breaks.

·
Registered
3,852 Posts
Thanks, Coolcat. It really does look terrific and the price is right!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Agree, installed mine last night, 2 hours and 15 minutes. If my drill had not given me problems would have been quicker. A second one would go on in 1.25 hours with the experience. I love the cover and the fit. Access has done a very good job! :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
coolcat said:
I bought it from The Cap Connection in Waukesha, WI. Their price is $399, which is $50 less than all the other local dealers in my area and almost $100 less than the MSRP.

The install really isn't difficult. It took me longer than it should have because: 1. I was taking it slow and taking pictures - and 2. I broke a drill bit and a self-tapping screw which required disassembling the entire bed an extra 2 times, for a total of 3. My total time was about 4 hours, but take away the picture taking and breaking stuff and I could have had it done in under 2 hours. I'm sure I could do another one in under 2 hours, as long as nothing breaks.

Coolcat,

I tried to get to your web site and it wasn't found but I was interested in looking at the pictures of the install.

Coolcat or anyone else,

How do you like the Access cover since you have had them on for a while? Also, can you roll the cover part of the way to uncover only part of the bed and still drive? Is you vision reduced when the cover is rolled up? Have you seen an increase in gas milage?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I installed the Access cover a couple weekends ago and love it. The cover is fully functional and rolls up out of the way in minutes. The cover took about 3 hrs to install going slow and following the directions. The inner bed panels need to be removed and three holes drill in the side panels. Purchased it from "AutoAnything" for $369.00 delivered.

This is a great looking cover and is easy to use. It is exactly what I was looking for in a Tonneu cover. It actually has the look of a hard cover when closed. You don't see the rails across the middle (but they are there) making for a very sleek clean look.

Note, when you roll the cover up it will obstruct the view out of the back window. But you would roll it up to haul something large and your view would most likely be obstructed anyway.

I have experienced a gain of 2 mpg for the last two fillups. I'm convinced the open truck bed really produces a drag.

·
Registered
338 Posts
14ridgeln said:
Coolcat,

I tried to get to your web site and it wasn't found but I was interested in looking at the pictures of the install.

Coolcat or anyone else,

How do you like the Access cover since you have had them on for a while? Also, can you roll the cover part of the way to uncover only part of the bed and still drive? Is you vision reduced when the cover is rolled up? Have you seen an increase in gas milage?

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies.
14ridgeln,

I don't know what's up with the link to my web site, but if you'll go to that address the site is there, for some reason when you click on the link it replaces the "coolcat" with a "1", which is the problem. I don't know why that's happening, it used to work fine, the link reads correctly, it just points incorrectly. You could also go to the main page of my web site and click on the Ridgeline to see the pictures http://www.muelver.us

I still really like my Access Cover. It does have a few quirks, but nothing as major as the huge amount of space that is wasted by installing one of the rolling covers. It has to be either completley rolled up and strapped down to the front of the bed or completely unrolled, there's no going in between because there's no way to secure the roll in the middle of the bed. I guess that you're vision is slightly reduced when its rolled up, but not a whole lot and like nighthawk said, whatever you've got in the bed that required you to roll it up will probably block your view even more.

I did not see an increase in gas mileage after installing the cover. I was getting a solid 17-18 all the time before and after installing it. I have just recently started to see increased mileage because the weather is cooling off and we aren't using the AC as much. I've got about 16,500 miles on my Ridgeline now and I've kept careful mileage records so I can say with confidence that for me at least, the cover did not increase my mileage. Honda designed the bed so that air coming off the top of the cab does not hit the tailgate, as it does on every other truck, which is what causes the extra drag that most trucks have.

Later,

Cool Cat

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here is a pic of the trail seal I installed. It is nothing special. Just note that you have to keep it low enough not to create a large lip on the tailgate so you can still clean out the bed (and so it does not tear off when draggin stuff across it). It also needs to be high enough to clear the tailgate lock. There is a sweet spot, it just takes patience.

I also trimmed my rails to allow the trunk lid to open a little wider. I have not got any pics of it yet, but it figure it gave me an extra 4 or 5 inches of travel at the end of the trunk lid. It will still not open completely, but it is better than it was. I will get some pics later.

I think that as soon as I get me a MIG welder I am going to make my own bed cover for this this thing out of aluminum. I want to use diamond plate for the cover portion and have it anodized or powdercoated black.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
Thanks for the picture zuhl. I need to get my Trail Seal installed, you've just given me a bit of inspiration.

I've been thinking about cutting my rails back too. I'd love to see some pictures of what you've done there!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I installed one on my truck, it was very easy, just needed Torx bit to get the body panels off. I put pipe insulation on the pipes, to make the cover tighter, it still rumbles a bit when you have slight to heavy winds. There is just so much that you can tighten those plastic tightening knobs. Then you have to pull the cover to the side in several places to tighten down the cover to the velcro. I have a bedmat underneath. It really is nice to have the extra dry cargo space. I may try to trim the side pieces so I can open the deck lid more. For the price this is great. And when you have to haul something big in the bed, you just roll it up. Those hard covers cost so much and don't stow well.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Here are some pics of the trimmed rails. In retrospect, I am not sure that I gained more than a couple inches further of travel. I did not measure or take pics beforehand so I cannot verify this though. If anyone has pics of it prior to trimming please share. I would like to take off more, but I dont want to reduce its strengh. As it was, there already was a cut in the rail, so I simply shaved off the extra metal down to that cut. So no change in strength was incurred. I did not really inspect it though to see if it would be structurally sound enough to remove more. The rails are multi-sided, so they should be quite strong even without this flat lip. And there is no real load on them. More to come. Maybe.

To do the trimming I just used my handy 4" grinder with a metal cutting wheel on it. Cut through the aluminum like butter. Remove the plastic edge cover first and then just snap it back on when you are done. The sticky goo inside is strong enough to re-use. If not, I imagine a small bead of silicone on the inside would hold it in place.

A word of caution though- wear glasses and a dust mask because fine aluminum dust particles go everywhere. Also, it is recommended not to re-use that blade to cut steel afterword. I cant remember exactly what the deal is, but there is some kind of risk of explosion from mixing the dusts from the two metals under the extreme heat.

Attachments

·
Registered
338 Posts
zuhl said:
Here are some pics of the trimmed rails. In retrospect, I am not sure that I gained more than a couple inches further of travel. I did not measure or take pics beforehand so I cannot verify this though. If anyone has pics of it prior to trimming please share. I would like to take off more, but I dont want to reduce its strengh. As it was, there already was a cut in the rail, so I simply shaved off the extra metal down to that cut. So no change in strength was incurred. I did not really inspect it though to see if it would be structurally sound enough to remove more. The rails are multi-sided, so they should be quite strong even without this flat lip. And there is no real load on them. More to come. Maybe.

To do the trimming I just used my handy 4" grinder with a metal cutting wheel on it. Cut through the aluminum like butter. Remove the plastic edge cover first and then just snap it back on when you are done. The sticky goo inside is strong enough to re-use. If not, I imagine a small bead of silicone on the inside would hold it in place.

A word of caution though- wear glasses and a dust mask because fine aluminum dust particles go everywhere. Also, it is recommended not to re-use that blade to cut steel afterword. I cant remember exactly what the deal is, but there is some kind of risk of explosion from mixing the dusts from the two metals under the extreme heat.
Thanks for those pictures zuhl! I'm definitely going to give this a shot.

P.S. I've updated the link to my pictures in the second post of this thread, it should work now. Heck, I'll put it here too http://homepage.mac.com/coolcat/Ridgeline/PhotoAlbum41.html.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts