Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
The billett, OEM upgrade and all black grilles look great folks. I approached it a little differently. I did not get the upgrade grille upon purchase and now my wife will not let me buy any new accessories to save money. So, I decided to paint the silver part of the OEM grille flat black. I purchased a second OEM grille on Ebay for $25.00 so I could revert if I didn't like it or for when I sell the truck.

You definitely have to have a blanket laid out and ready to place the front bumper. If you have foglights like me, you may want to elevate the blanket 6-10 inches so the bumper is not hanging by the foglight wiring. I did not unhook this wiring. Removal and re-installation of the bumper went smoothly on my truck. Be careful not to drop the clips into the engine compartment or in the grass. If you are taking apart the actual OEM grille to paint like I did, take your time and be careful not to break the plastic tabs that hold it together.

I separated the three pieces of the second (new) grille; black, silver and chrome-like Honda badge. I sanded the exterior of the silver piece with 400-600 grit sandpaper, and sprayed two coats of primer, sanding in between and afterwards. I then applied two thin coats of flat black spray as not to create runs and sags. I purchased flat clear coat as well however, I did not use it because I thought it would have given it a slight sheen. When it dries thoroughly, put it all back together, remove bumper and swapped the grilles. Below are the before, during and after pics.

It was truely only a six beer job/mod.

Good Luck !

Rich

Attachments

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yes I am going to ask a FNG question. When wiring the fog lights did you make your own on/off switch or did you wire it to a pre existing switch from the truck?
I'm gonna guess and say he got the OEM Honda switch

Honda Ridgeline Fog Light Switch, Dark Gray
08V31-SJC-130A

$18.00 from here http://www.partscheap.com/ridgelineaudio07.htm bottom of the page.

Hope that answers your question Marine...

Semper Fi

·
Registered
213 Posts
I decided to paint the silver part of the OEM grille flat black. I purchased a second OEM grille on Ebay for $25.00 so I could revert if I didn't like it or for when I sell the truck.
Rich

Rich I just did the same thing to mine a few weeks ago,the only thing I did different was painted it gloss black then hit it with some matte clear when done... Half a dozen one way six the other

Nice job

·
Premium Member
6,877 Posts
This is my take on a grill. I bought mesh from the parts store and made it myself.
Wow Danny, you're grill is really close to my heart! I love it when members of this community tackle a "do-it -yourself" project like this and the results turn out to be better than the one's being sold retail!! ROC-On!

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Honestly, it looks like the grill is missing when painted completely black. Not my 'cup of tea', but interesting.
It might look cool with a red Type R "H" logo centered on it!

·
Registered
177 Posts
can the bumper be taken off by one person or do I need a second hand

·
Registered
4,317 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Originally Posted by Now you're mine
can the bumper be taken off by one person or do I need a second hand05-21-2007 10:11 PM
I have taken the front bumper off five times by myself. Have something to lay it on under it so that when it pops loose you down't drop it on the ground and scratch it. Take all of the screws out of the bottom first and then the clips at the top and don't worry if the styrofoam bumper coems loose, it goes back easy. A pic of my grill is in this post. I also installed mesh in the other grills. I am now taking the bumper off again to cut the drivers side fake vent for my cold air inlet. By the way 5sdude, thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
177 Posts
cool thanks --that will be my weekend project then--i have a grill with instructions to install without taking the bumper off but its to tight for me. I'm going to take the bumper off to make the install easier.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I found out the rtx replacment grill ( same as accessory less the "h")
is way less than the accessory one !

·
Registered
133 Posts
Thanks for the help on the install, I ordered the grill through honda as a part instead of an accessory and it cost around $230 instead of $316 and the H logo off the old one fits just fine

Attachments

21 - 40 of 76 Posts