Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

41 - 60 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
If you are married and that's an actual quilt under your truck, I'm guessing you are no longer married. :^)

Great writeup. At some point I'll have to get off my lazy a$$ and post some on some of my mods (side steps, roof rack, Kenwood DVD unit, etc.) I've done to my '07.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just ordered my Honda grille thru Majestic Honda. They have some really good prices. The grille shipped was 227.00.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Piece of cake and it looks good. Hope it don't fall off!
Rocky

Looks great, where in Sunny South Florida? I lived in Delray Beach about 7 years ago. You must have been getting a lot of rain or are watering your grass. It looks nice and green. We are burning and drying up here on our coast.;)

·
Registered
529 Posts
We still have water, but not much. It is rationed out between the Cubans, Haitians, Puerto Ricans, Mexicans, Russians, Germans, Canadians, Jews, Italians, French, Muslims, alligators, and Americans. And for some reason Americans are the only one with green lawns.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Great thread! I have a question for those who removed the stock grill. Instead of painting the silver pieces black for my new grill, can I just remove the silver pieces? Are they screwed on or riveted on? I am talking about the 4 horizontal "wings" right next to the H logo on the factory grill.

If anyone has a BIG picture of the back of the factory grill please PM me or post it. Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Great thread! I have a question for those who removed the stock grill. Instead of painting the silver pieces black for my new grill, can I just remove the silver pieces? Are they screwed on or riveted on? I am talking about the 4 horizontal "wings" right next to the H logo on the factory grill.

If anyone has a BIG picture of the back of the factory grill please PM me or post it. Thanks!!
what year is your RL? not sure of 2009? older years the silver is attached. psrt of the grill itself i believe, it has been a while since I removed mine on a 2007;)

when it comes to painting stock grill, this thread will interest you.
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1609

·
Registered
307 Posts
:confused:I swear I saw that at some point in time! Thanks for the link!

Per the post there
Here are a few pics showing stages of disassembly of the grille for painting of the satin chrome trim piece.

Photo no.1 shows removal of screws for emblem removal.
Photo no.2 shows removal of screws for satin chrome trim removal
Photo no.3 shows careful prying of trim clips to allow disengagement of trim from grille backing. Please disregard the black BMW that was sacrificed in order to setup the Matchbox RL for Ron-5SDude!!!

It looks like the satin pieces are only screwed on. So for me to install the ablaze grill I dont have to paint ainything just remove the silver logo and satin pieces. Sa-weet!

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I want to do something like subman did on page 3. I have done that once before with my other car. just using metal lath you got at lowes for 5 buck for 2x5 sheet.
But.
I only have the original grill, and it looks like he has a chrome outer ring around his grille.
Any one any ideas how i can go about this with out getting the outer ring? :confused:
please help

·
Registered
81 Posts
Good thread! I recently installed the accessory grill on my 2009 RTL. I was going to start a thread but since I found this I'll just post some info and pics here.

jch mentioned in the OP that there tabs that hold the bumper on after all the screws and bolts are removed. These were a little tricky to figure out, but with a little persuasion they came off without extra tools. I feel like a trim tool would have helped here but I don't own one. My first attachment shows where these are. It seemed like these tabs do most of the work of holding the bumper on. All the other screws and bolts, with the exception of the two on the bottom in the middle, don't seem very tight or like they are holding much on.

The bumper is pretty light, but I did have a helper which made it a little easier to lower and get back into place. Beyond that I did it all myself.

The instructions suggest you break off all the tabs on the old grill. This makes it so you can never reuse the old grill (not that I would, but why destroy it.) Instead I was able to use flat toothpicks to wedge each tab open. Then I was able to pull apart the chrome piece from the old grill with some pulling. Actually a lot of pulling. It was hard to get these apart... they are very tight. Getting the chrome piece back on the new grill was also a little tricky. Make sure all the tabs (there are 18 on the outside and 16 on the inside) are fully engaged. I had to put a little body weight into it to get these all to click, but I eventually got them all. And my old grill is not damaged.

The most important thing in this install is getting all the tabs everywhere snapped back into place before you call it done. You don't want pieces flying off on the highway...

Overall, this took about 2 hours and was not too difficult. I studied the instructions and some posts on this forum a lot before digging in.

I have also posted some more pics with the front off and a some after pics (if you are wondering why its at a different place it's because I had to wait to get a car wash ;) )

-Kyle

Attachments

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you for the great detailed instructions on taking the front end off the ridge. I got a new billet grill and was at a loss of how to install it. With out your help I would have never been able to complete the project heres how it looks

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Just wanted to say thank you for the great detailed instructions on taking the front end off the ridge. I got a new billet grill and was at a loss of how to install it. With out your help I would have never been able to complete the project heres how it looks
Is that a laptop-under-the-hood mod? Nice!!!

-Kyle

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I just figure I would drop in here. I decided to part ways with chrome. As a result the grille had to get the treatment too.

·
Premium Member
11,422 Posts
Those grills make a nice difference. I plan to do mine soon with the OEM upgrade. I also plan to use plastic gutter screen on the lower air intake openings to keep out small rocks, etc. Not sure how I will mount the screen, maybe Gorilla glue, etc.

41 - 60 of 76 Posts