Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to install some grill lights similar to the Ford Raptor style and am debating on where to power these lights from.

I would like for them to come on with the parking lamps, however, I figure that if I tap into the parking lamps then they will also blink when the blinkers come one. The other option is to tap into the headlights, but then I would loose the functionality with the parking lights.

Is there a source of steady power (non-blinking) at the parking light setting? If not, any options to achieve this functionality?

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
I'm going to install some grill lights similar to the Ford Raptor style and am debating on where to power these lights from.

I would like for them to come on with the parking lamps, however, I figure that if I tap into the parking lamps then they will also blink when the blinkers come one. The other option is to tap into the headlights, but then I would loose the functionality with the parking lights.

Is there a source of steady power (non-blinking) at the parking light setting? If not, any options to achieve this functionality?
Try here....

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21715

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the thread. I read it and suggested piggy backing off the parking lights. If done that way, won't they blink when the blinker is turned on?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thanks for the thread. I read it and suggested piggy backing off the parking lights. If done that way, won't they blink when the blinker is turned on?
NO. You need to connect to the parking light wire,NOT the blinker....it's a dual filament bulb. I just connected my new fog lamps this way but forget the color of the wire I tapped into to power the relay.

EDIT: I just read the link. I connected mine to the wiring feeding the left front parking light accessible by removing part of the wheel well liner.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NO. You need to connect to the parking light wire,NOT the blinker....it's a dual filament bulb. I just connected my new fog lamps this way but forget the color of the wire I tapped into to power the relay.

EDIT: I just read the link. I connected mine to the wiring feeding the left front parking light accessible by removing part of the wheel well liner.

Ok, good deal! I'll try to do some research as to which color wire is the one for the parking lights. I'll probably tap into it at the left front wheel well also. If you remember the color of the wire let me know please. Thanks

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hoping it will look similar to this:

Looks good but that is stealing the Raptor look which I couldn't handle unless I actually drove a Raptor. But that's just me not wanting to be seen as a Raptor wannabe. In other words, if i wanted Raptor grill lights, I would buy a Raptor.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
So all that work for four dot lights? Not sure I get the attraction - not that I need to.

·
Supporting Vendor
277 Posts
Looks good but that is stealing the Raptor look which I couldn't handle unless I actually drove a Raptor. But that's just me not wanting to be seen as a Raptor wannabe. In other words, if i wanted Raptor grill lights, I would buy a Raptor.
You'd buy a Raptor just to get ~$100 worth of grille lighting? :act018:

Nick C.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So all that work for four dot lights? Not sure I get the attraction - not that I need to.
I don't expect this to be that big of a project. I'm going to do it while I've got the grill/bumper pulled to install OEM fog lights and complete the TSB to lower the bumper. I just like "modding".... :act010:

We need to start a MA (Modders Anonymous) group

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I plan on taking pictures and making an instructional write up for anyone who wants to add accent lights. It maybe a while though, my weekends have been booked for me for the next few weeks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last night I went ahead and installed my grill marker lights. I did run into a slight issue with where I wanted to put them, which I will give details when I get to that step. So here we go:

1. Here is a link to the lights I purchased: http://www.oznium.com/motorcycle-led-bolt
I chose these lights because I needed a bolt light for where I wanted them mounted. They are waterproof and seemed to be of a good quality build. They are pretty bright for their size.

2. If you want to mount the lights to the grill area, then you will have to remove the bumper. There are several threads already on the ROC about how to do this, so I am skipping the walk-through on this step.

3. Once the bumper is removed, find the parking/blinker light inside the front fender. I used the driver's side light, so that is what I will be referring to. Twist the socket to remove the bulb from the socket. I suggest removing the bulb while working to avoid damaging the bulb. Remove the wire guarding and electrical tape to expose the wires.

4. The wire that is red/silver is the power for the parking lamps. The red/blue wire is the blinker.

5. Splice the red/silver wire (unless you want them to blink) and run the new wire back up into the engine bay by the grill.

6. Cover the splice with wire guarding and electrical tape. I zip tied the new wire to ensure it wouldn't rub on the sheet metal.

7. I measured out where I wanted the lights to be spaced out and drilled thru mounting holes. I had to drill through the top layer to get to the grill.

8. I used rubber washers, metal washers, lock washers, the supplied nuts that came with the lights, and thread locker to mount them. I used the following sequence: light, rubber washer, metal washer, grill, rubber washer, metal washer, lock washer, nut (with thread locker).

9. Here are the mounted lights.

The wire length only allowed me to wire 2 lights together at a time. I used butt connectors to wire the lights up in pairs and then ran the wires in the channel shown to run the wires to the driver's side of the bumper/grill.

10. *** ATTENTION *** Now mounting the bumper back is where I ran into a problem. There is a cross member that runs from headlight to headlight that the grill/bumper mounts to. It is supposed to slide into the channel where I had the lights mounted, but it couldn't fit since there were bolts sticking up into that channel now. I ended up cutting notches in this cross member (it is and upside down "U" shape) to allow the light bolts to slide inside the cross member. I forgot to take pictures of this, but I held the bumper up to the truck and marked on the cross member where the notches needed cut.

11. Run the wires into the engine compartment beside the driver's side headlight. I used a spade connnector to connect the hot leads to the hot lead that is spliced into the parking light circuit. This way I could disconnnect if I ever took the bumper off again. I used an eyelet connector to connect the ground wires to the ground bolt that is used for the battery. It is right above the driver's side headlight. (Forgot pictures).

12. Here is the finished product.

Overall I am pleased with the look and location. I wish I hadn't had to notch the cross member, but it wasn't too big of a deal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts