Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know how to go from engine running to accessory mode without shutting the car off completely and putting it back into accessory mode? I often pick up passengers from the train station and would like to wait in the truck with the radio on without idling the engine. Thanks in advance.

nizz

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Anyone know how to go from engine running to accessory mode without shutting the car off completely and putting it back into accessory mode? I often pick up passengers from the train station and would like to wait in the truck with the radio on without idling the engine. Thanks in advance.

nizz
I would like to know also, my Audi Q5 automatically goes to ACC mode for about 10min. after you shut off the engine, nice to keep listening to the radio if you want.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
Leaving the vehicle in gear and pressing the START/STOP button while your foot is on the brake will shut the engine off, but leave the "ignition" on. That's not a smart thing to do, but it's the only way I know of to accomplish what you're asking.

Hondas have a retained accessory power feature, but it only works for the windows and sunroof. I wish Honda would maintain full accessory power like GMs have done for decades.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
I believe you can get in the RL and double push the start/stop button-without depressing the brake and that activates the accessory mode.
Getting in the vehicle and pressing START/STOP without pressing the brake pedal once turns on accessory mode. A second press turns the "ignition" on, but does not start the vehicle. Pressing the brake pedal while pushing the START/STOP starts the engine.

Getting in the vehicle and pressing START/STOP while pressing the brake pedal starts the engine.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Getting in the vehicle and pressing START/STOP without pressing the brake pedal once turns on accessory mode. A second press turns the "ignition" on, but does not start the vehicle. Pressing the brake pedal while pushing the START/STOP starts the engine.

Getting in the vehicle and pressing START/STOP while pressing the brake pedal starts the engine.

Thx for the clarification Z.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
417 Posts
I don't know why Honda can't get on board with this. Just about every other mfg'r keeps the radio & power outlets on for 10 minutes after the engine is turned off. It's a nice touch, and really annoying not having it when you get used to it.

My F150 will keep everything running until either front door is opened, or 10 minutes, which ever happens first. Then I get into wifey's Accord, everything goes dead with engine off. Grrrrrr....:frown:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Here is something to try, it works on my 14 Accord but not 16 RDX. With the car running and in Park, hold the shift lever while depressing the button on the shifter. Don't shift it out of park but while holding that button press the engine stop/start button. On my Accord that will leave the car in ACC mode. It will eventually shut off after a pre-determined time, but you can open and close the door without losing power. I think on the Accord it shuts down after 30 minutes. I find it handy when talking on the bluetooth and not wanting to sit with the car running.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
zroger73: I tried shutting off the engine while in D and then shifting into P. Once I shifted into P, everything shut off. Perhaps you already knew that thus suggested it was not a smart option.

bradntx: Thanks, I will try your tip. I assume this is a two handed maneuver. If that doesn't work, I can resort to zroger73's trick and shut the engine off in N with the parking brake engaged.

nizz

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
I wish Honda would maintain full accessory power like GMs have done for decades.
Wow! I thought all vehicles did that since I have had my S-10 for 15 years! Its sad to say, but that might be the best thing about my truck. :grin:
Maybe there is a setting to change that in the G2? Accessory time delay - 0 minutes 5 minutes 10 minutes? maybe? hopefully?

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
Wow! I thought all vehicles did that since I have had my S-10 for 15 years! Its sad to say, but that might be the best thing about my truck. :grin:
Maybe there is a setting to change that in the G2? Accessory time delay - 0 minutes 5 minutes 10 minutes? maybe? hopefully?
Nope. There's no setting to change for accessory delay. Furthermore, Honda's accessory delay only works for the windows and sunroof - not for the radio.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Nope. There's no setting to change for accessory delay. Furthermore, Honda's accessory delay only works for the windows and sunroof - not for the radio.
that is an odd setup choice Honda made. The inverter works with no key on but the radio will shut off right away. It should stay on at least till you open a door. Maybe for 2018? :grin:

Over the last 15 years of owning my S-10, I cannot count the times I have shut my truck off and between gathering my stuff such as phones or tablets or coffee mug etc, that something came on the radio that I wanted to hear, be it a song or news report. Countless other time I have sat in my truck waiting for a pizza or store to open I sit listening to the radio. When the store opens, just get out of truck, nothing to shut off.
Honda never thought of that or they did but do not find it to be a useful feature? :act002:

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
that is an odd setup choice Honda made. The inverter works with no key on but the radio will shut off right away. It should stay on at least till you open a door. Maybe for 2018? :grin:

Over the last 15 years of owning my S-10, I cannot count the times I have shut my truck off and between gathering my stuff such as phones or tablets or coffee mug etc, that something came on the radio that I wanted to hear, be it a song or news report. Countless other time I have sat in my truck waiting for a pizza or store to open I sit listening to the radio. When the store opens, just get out of truck, nothing to shut off.
Honda never thought of that or they did but do not find it to be a useful feature? :act002:
Some manufacturers just have their own ways of doing things that they rarely deviate from. Take cigarette lighters (now power outlets), for example... For decades, they were powered at all times in domestics, but switched with the ignition in imports.

Most GMs have had automatic headlights since the 90s. There are still Hondas being made today that don't have automatic headlights. Different design groups simply have different mentalities. When a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am has automatic headlights and a 2014 Honda Ridgeline doesn't, well... :)

Honda has long been a "simple" brand and the company tends to lean towards "proven", rather than "cutting edge" technology. Look at Apple - they rarely come up with new ideas or immediately adopt the latest technology. Instead, they take ideas of others and refine them then implement them.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
When a 1994 Pontiac Grand Am has automatic headlights and a 2014 Honda Ridgeline doesn't, well... :)
the 2017 has them right??? I might have manually turned my headlights on 20 times over the years, I love the auto feature.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
My wife's solution is to just leave the car running. Yes, it costs us money and wastes fuel and is bad for the environment and makes Honda look bad on fuelly.com, but Honda Corporate doesn't care about any of that. They care about tradition, unless it comes to quality. :p

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
1. Put the vehicle in Park.
2. Pull the shift release button in slightly, but don't shift out of Park.
3. While holding the shift release button, press the START/STOP button. The engine will stop and the vehicle will beep, but the accessories stay on.
4. Let go of the shift release button.
5. Immediately press the START/STOP button again. Everything come back on, but the engine doesn't restart.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,586 Posts
Could Honda make that any more convoluted? :rolleyes:

Reactions: Shineaholic
1 - 20 of 79 Posts