Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Started up a few minutes ago and it sounded like a leaf had gotten through the filter. Pulled filter and about a quart of leaves and acorns fell into the blower motor. There is a part next the windshield which is missing, and that's where the stuff appears to be entering. It's a bit of a mess and design flaw.
Where do I get the new plastic piece, and how much fun is it going to be to get all of the acorns and leaves out? If it rains, does the water flow straight to the blower motor?
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

Hood Tints and shades Wood Automotive design Circle

glad I don't need to run the air conditioner this week.

· Premium Member
2021 Obsidian Blue RTL
541 Posts
Make sure to completely power down the climate control system until cleaned out. The heater and defroster uses the same blower motor.

I believe you have a 2017 RTL-E.

If so, it should be this part, which is the "Right Cowl Top Side Lid". The pictures are confusing, but it should be the correct part.

It is part 11 of this Parts Diagram.

Maybe a shop vac hose to vacuum out the leaves, and hopefully it's strong enough for the acorns, too.

If not, you can probably pick them out individually.

Good luck.

· Registered
1,241 Posts
If it's possible try cutting and installing a piece of screen to temporarily covering the hole till you get the replacement part. Even if you have to duct tape it in.
All I can suggest is get your shop vac out and start vacuuming all that stuff out. It may take a few attempts to get it all out.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

· Registered
583 Posts
This is the strongest shop vac I've found for a reaonable price; its a beast:

If something is loose, even acorns, this will most likely work. Something to put on your Xmas list...

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the tips, especially about the defroster warning. I filed an insurance claim but just figured it is the same shop that I had it towed to did a windshield replacement some time ago and they are the only people that have ever touched the missing part.
As far as trying a shop vac, I can't fit my hands into the openings and just figured it's a job that has to be done right. They are acorns from a live oak, which are smaller than most others. I can't be breathing decomposition / spores of who knows what.

· Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,898 Posts
It is interesting that the piece that is missing was a design flaw, then later on it is the fault of the shop who replaced your windshield. Did you not notice that the piece was missing when you picked it up after the glass replacement? If it flew off while you were driving, and you noticed it flying off, then not replacing it promptly is your fault, regardless of carelessness on the shop's. If you did not notice it when you picked it up, then filing a claim is a longshot - I am even surprised that your carrier accepted your claim.

I agree what Rob mentioned to be sound advice. Order the piece from the dealer (or source one from the junkyard) and in the interim, cover that hole with a mesh and tape down properly.

Water does get in through that area and it is by design, but not into the filter or the blower.

· Registered
3,373 Posts
It is interesting that the piece that is missing was a design flaw, then later on it is the fault of the shop who replaced your windshield. Did you not notice that the piece was missing when you picked it up after the glass replacement? If it flew off while you were driving, and you noticed it flying off, then not replacing it promptly is your fault, regardless of carelessness on the shop's. If you did not notice it when you picked it up, then filing a claim is a longshot - I am even surprised that your carrier accepted your claim.

I agree what Rob mentioned to be sound advice. Order the piece from the dealer (or source one from the junkyard) and in the interim, cover that hole with a mesh and tape down properly.

Water does get in through that area and it is by design, but not into the filter or the blower.
To add to this, I am curious what the insurance claim is actually for? What damage and costs are the insurance company suppose to reimburse the OP for?
Bill

· Registered
185 Posts
Must have excellent insurance, in my case the deductible would probably cost more than the repair, and then my rates would be adjusted for filing a claim. The only time I even think about an insurance claim is if I have a significant repair. In any case I hope you get it figured out and I hope you get your truck fixed and back to you how you want it soon. Good luck.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts