Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i just learned about the rear mic in my 2017RL and its part of honda's ANC.

I proof my studio mixes in my car audio and lately i have been beating my head against the wall over some stuff that i normally have no problem with......which got me to thinking.

What is this ANC doing when i drive and listen to my mixes?

What does this do to the audio playback in our trucks? Is it shaping and reshaping the sound at ALL? Even the tiniest bit?

Is there an easy way to disable it?

If its changing the sound of my audio in the least then i have a BIG problem!

D

·
Registered
998 Posts
I'm not an expert but I belive it reacts to engine, trans, and road noise. Not music.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Why I'm going RTL and putting in my own audio. I play all my studio work in my vehicle, looking for mistakes, adjustments, etc before we send things off to press.

You can get a line converter but it would take more expertise than I have. I have problems getting midi to work with everything we use in the studio. :(

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am now curious to see if there is a way to disable it...just so i can hear with my own ears what this ANC is doing, if anything.

If its listening....then it has to be doing something.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My assumption would be that system audio passes through the ANC, and it knows to "listen" for anything outside those frequencies and to work to cancel them.

So while it wouldn't be changing the source music, it is most certainly coloring the sound reproduction if it pics up any sounds not part of the outgoing mix, since it uses the same speakers and listening environment where you're proofing your mix.

I'd be interested to see if you can tell a difference, so here's the link to the disable thread: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/161-2g-audio-bluetooth-electronics-navigation/157730-anc-disable-how-remove-glovebox.html

Please let us know what you experience from the change!

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeiks! So there is no way to disable it via the settings menu? UGH!

·
Registered
12 Posts
This may just be my perception, but I notice ANC more when having conversations with others in the vehicle, than when music is playing. You miss some of the acoustic reverberration in people's voices. It's almost like the sound dies when it leaves your mouth. I notice it a little with the bass with music playing. YMMV.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
This may just be my perception, but I notice ANC more when having conversations with others in the vehicle, than when music is playing. You miss some of the acoustic reverberration in people's voices. It's almost like the sound dies when it leaves your mouth. I notice it a little with the bass with music playing. YMMV.
in another thread you mentioned turning it off. Can you explain how to do this?

·
Registered
12 Posts
in another thread you mentioned turning it off. Can you explain how to do this?
Hold Audio Power + Menu + Brightness buttons on the infotainment center until the diagnostic menu appears. ANC can be disabled in the audio check settings. You know it's disabled when there is a long low pitched tone for about 1 minute. After the tone ends, you should notice more natural acoustics in the truck. Also, it will be very clear when the engine is lugging under VCM operation, as those low frequencies will become more prominent.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I disabled it last night and proofed a mix. Now, i dont have the golden ears of Chris Lord-Alge but to my Jackleg Engineering Ears i could tell NO difference with it on or off for music playback.

Truth be told i was listening VERY closely for it to do something with the low end. Nope. I could not detect a single thing it did to my mixes.

So, for now, its a non issue.

Thanks for the help on this.

·
Premium Member
2017 Black Edition
753 Posts
I disabled it last night and proofed a mix. Now, i dont have the golden ears of Chris Lord-Alge but to my Jackleg Engineering Ears i could tell NO difference with it on or off for music playback.

Truth be told i was listening VERY closely for it to do something with the low end. Nope. I could not detect a single thing it did to my mixes.

Did you do the test at highway speed?. Again, I read somewhere it was more tuned for engine noise, I don't know if that is true. But what I notice is when it is off, there is (for the lack of better terms) more breath... and I loath using those styles of words. But I can hear what would resemble an ever so subtle vacuum pull in the low-end (around 35-40hz) as if the bass phase is flopping around. But in active noise cancelling headphones, I'm bothered by this same effect. It is not strong, but it is enough to irritate me... and after about 10-15 minutes, I feel like I want to pop my ears.

Listen again. Tell me what you think.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Nervy,
Yes i was at HW speeds. Also in stop n go rush hour traffic on our regular roads.
I detected no difference in audio quality.

My brother HATES the noise canceling headphones because of the swirl affect. I own some Bose NC headphones and love them. Its never been an issue for me.

D

·
Registered
1,727 Posts

That rug really tied the room together.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That rug really tied the room together.
Your OVER THE LINE, Tommy!

Dont get me started on a lebowski quote fest! Been an ordained Dudeist Priest since 2008 and some Brit filmakers interviewed me in 2010 for a pilot they were shooting!

Just remember, Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women! (which IS a factual statement when thought about in context!)

Nice Marmot!

D

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Your OVER THE LINE, Tommy!

Dont get me started on a lebowski quote fest! Been an ordained Dudeist Priest since 2008 and some Brit filmakers interviewed me in 2010 for a pilot they were shooting!

Just remember, Jackie Treehorn treats objects like women! (which IS a factual statement when thought about in context!)

Nice Marmot!

D
2008? Man that's like 10 years after the revelation! Goodman was the star of that film, to me, not Bridges. I'll never forget the scene in 'Flight' where Denzel is in the hospital. Goodman rolls in, ponytail and all, with drugs, nudie books, LMAO!

"Brandt can't watch, though, or he has to pay a hundred." >:)

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
2008? Man that's like 10 years after the revelation! Goodman was the star of that film, to me, not Bridges. I'll never forget the scene in 'Flight' where Denzel is in the hospital. Goodman rolls in, ponytail and all, with drugs, nudie books, LMAO!

"Brandt can't watch, though, or he has to pay a hundred." >:)
I saw the movie much earlier than that. 2008 is just when i became ordained.

"Just gonna go find a cash machine......"

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wow, how do I get ANR in my G1. I use ANR headsets in my airplane and they do a great job of dampening low frequency engine noise. The G1 transmits a lot of road noise into the cabin. Would be great to defeat that with a little Bose technology.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts