Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 213 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed many people being lured out of decent vehicles with acceptable mileage ratings to buy a Ridgeline with hopes of good fuel mileage. I can only hope you actually see anything close to what they state for the mileage ratings.

Now I am not against the Ridgeline and may own one in a year or two but I will do so knowing that we will probably get about 12mpg in the winter. Our 2003 Odyssey (3.5L 240hp) was at 32,000 miles when I decided to see how the fuel mileage was. Turns out I was getting 11.4mpg. Needless to say I sold it for the 99 Bonneville that is getting 20-30mpg so far. Fuel mileage was not the only reason I sold the Odyssey but it was the icing on the cake for me.

I have considered a Tundra Double Cab as well but have noticed they are seeing 12-17mpg at best on most of thier trucks on the Tundra forums. Makes me realize my 1997 GMC for $5000 with 103,000 that looks and drives like new is not that bad a deal for now. Plus I know I am getting at least 15mpg with it.

Makes it hard to justify spending $28,000 on a new vehicle. I know my wife has a "need" for a new car however so I am sure in a year or two we will be out shopping for a truck or suv. As I said the Ridgeline is at the top of the list right now regardless of poor fuel mileage.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Gas milage on any vechicle depends alot on how you drive, and where. I have a 2003 MDX with the same 3.5L 255hp setup as the RL. In two years of driving I regularily get an average of 19 mpg (60% city/40% hwy). On pure highway miles (trips greater than 200 miles) I will get 24 mpg. I will say that for the first four months the mileage was not that good. Once the MDX got past 7,500 miles it started to get better. The MDX appears to be more aerodynamic than the RL so that might be part of the milage difference.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I now have 1483 miles on my Ridgeline and I'm averaging 20.5mpg and that's a 70h/30c split. Just highway and it's close to 22-23mpg.

·
Registered
198 Posts
After every tankful the mileage goes up incrementally. Started out 15.5 now up to 17 mpg. I would say my driving is a 60/40 split with highway cruising at 70 to 75 most prevalent. Question for Hagerswami...what speed are you cruising at?

·
Registered
38 Posts
dolphin said:
Gas milage on any vechicle depends alot on how you drive, and where...
I agree I can average around 29 MPG with my RSX if I shift at low RPMs and I drive mainly highway, however if I drive like I really like to :D then I have seen that I get lower then that...

·
Registered
297 Posts
BamaRidge said:
After every tankful the mileage goes up incrementally. Started out 15.5 now up to 17 mpg. I would say my driving is a 60/40 split with highway cruising at 70 to 75 most prevalent. Question for Hagerswami...what speed are you cruising at?
Thought maybe I was an ole geezer, huh? (if 57 is old):D Highway speed is between 68 and 72mph.

·
Registered
198 Posts
hagerswami said:
Thought maybe I was an ole geezer, huh? (if 57 is old):D Highway speed is between 68 and 72mph.
Nah, I'm not too far behind at 50. Your mileage is pretty good and I just wanted to compare notes.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Only two tanks, but I've gotten 16.1 and 17.4 MPG. I traded my 2000 Dodge Durango in on the Ridgeline. By comparison I'm saving gas!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Third tank 16.3 MPG. This is my first Honda. Two different owners have told me, their Hondas didn't "break in" until almost 30,000 miles and then gas milage got noticably better. Can anyone confirm or dispute?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Usually people see an increase in MPG after the first oil change. I haven't noticed much of an increase with my Element after 3 oil changes (13,500 miles on her, with about 20 MPG city and a bit higher for highway), but I tend to take it easy on the accelerator, so I think that's the biggest factor.

·
Registered
119 Posts
First fill up and 16.2

Tank number one 16.2 mpg...on the low side but there were a bunch of short trips. We'll see. :eek:

65% city
35% freeway/highway
(Tank two in a couple of days.)

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Took a drive to this weekend, round trip was about 300 miles. I averaged 19.8 mpg . I was impressed but I hoping to get 21 mpg. BTW I filled the tank with the medium grade 89 octane.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
bongus said:
Took a drive to this weekend, round trip was about 300 miles. I averaged 19.8 mpg . I was impressed but I hoping to get 21 mpg. BTW I filled the tank with the medium grade 89 octane.
I'm getting 16mpg with stricly 100% short trip city driving. Wish we had the darn trip computer instead of having to pull out the pencil & paper. Last car I had to do that with was my '78 datsun pickup. 3 steps forward, 1 step backward :)

·
Registered
119 Posts

Tank number two 17.7mpg...getting better but not great. We'll see.

30% city
70% freeway/highway

Tank number one 16.2 mpg...on the low side but there were a bunch of short trips. We'll see. :eek:

65% city
35% freeway/highway

·
Registered
218 Posts
Folks, I think we need a reality check. We are talking about a truck :rolleyes: ! The 94 Nissan pickup that is being replaced by my soon to be delivered Ridgeline gets anywhere from 17 mpg to 27 mpg depending on where I am, where I'm going and how much I'm hauling. If fuel economy is your primary issue I would recommend you bypass the Ridgeline and look at the Civic. Great car (not truck), great mileage. If you insist on the Ridgeline drive it very gently. Your mileage will be the best it can be and your truck will last a long time. A driving instructor once gave me a tip. Drive like you have a raw egg between your foot and the accelerator or brake. It has generally worked well for me.;)

·
Registered
133 Posts
I don't worry about the gas mileage. I may if gas gets to 3.00 a gallon. For now I just want to enjoy my ride. If I were really worried about the gas mileage I would have bought a hybrid or a civic or a horse or a ten speed bike. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just calculated my last tank at 18.03 MPG. 60% highway at 65-80 MPH and the other 40% country roads and stop go traffic. A/C on the whole time--temps in 90's with high humidity. RTL has 1800 miles on it. If I stay in that area I'll be very happy. My last 3 Fords got 15MPG on their best day, I'm sure the RTL will improve and do much better when AC isn't running all of the time.

$$ Well worth the investment to me. My 2 kids are just starting to drive--this is the safest truck on the road! Worth every single penny just for the comfort of knowing the truck is the safest my family and I can drive! :D

1 - 20 of 213 Posts