Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1341 - 1360 of 1585 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
I got tired of waiting for the 2020s, purchased a Black Edition on Sat using the Costco Auto program. $37,723 plus $300 doc fee. So $38,023 plus tax,title.
great price!

·
Registered
307 Posts
I was offered a 2019 RTLT AWD for 37,400. That includes tax, tags and doc fee (NJ) We were waiting for the 2020 but not sure we want the 9 speed transmission. Is this a good price?
Vicki,
I have no idea what your taxes, lic, and fees might be. Excluding these listed items, I paid $36980 for a RTL-E.
What is the price of the TRUCK before tx, lic, and any fees. Knowing that, would be better to know if your deal is a good deal or not.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A couple months back, I got multiple price quotes back from local dealers through the Costco Auto Program on a 2019 RTL-E. I tried to get another set of quotes back this morning that will include the dealer cash being discussed but I get the following message now:

Currently, we have not located a dealership in your area that has met our strict pricing criteria for the manufacturer you selected.
For your convenience, we have provided a list of comparable vehicles that are currently available with prearranged pricing at participating dealerships near you.
If you would like to choose another manufacturer, perform another search.

Anyone else having this problem?

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I was getting pricing from dealers, I did get a Costco price from one of them on an RTL-E.

$36,950 which includes their added $495 for window tint, wheel locks, and paint protection. Without dealer add ons, it's $36,455 which was still higher than my deal, $36,168.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I'm looking to pick up a Sport AWD this weekend for $33k drive out (OTD) price. Seems like a good deal, yes / no ?
No one can compare OTD prices. Some states have value based registration that could cost $1,000, while other states have $50 registration. Some states have 14% sales tax, some states have no sales tax.

Sport AWD should be about $31,000 including any dealer imposed fees, then tax title/license (and any optional add ons/service/warranties you agree to) goes on top of that number.

A couple months back, I got multiple price quotes back from local dealers through the Costco Auto Program on a 2019 RTL-E. I tried to get another set of quotes back this morning that will include the dealer cash being discussed but I get the following message now:

Currently, we have not located a dealership in your area that has met our strict pricing criteria for the manufacturer you selected.
For your convenience, we have provided a list of comparable vehicles that are currently available with prearranged pricing at participating dealerships near you.
If you would like to choose another manufacturer, perform another search.

Anyone else having this problem?
Doesn't surprise me, a dealer has to agree to sell at $300 below invoice and pass along any customer or dealer incentives. If they are the only Honda dealer in the area, it won't help them with allocation from Honda, so there is little benefit unless they feel really confident they can sell you warranties and bump you on financing.

Honda dealers around me are the least likely dealers to give that kind of deal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your local honda salesman chiming in for educational purposes...

Honda has $1500 dealer cash on the RL at the moment. ..
Do you know if dealer cash is staying the same in Sept? Or any other incentives? I have a couple decent offers in the works and wondering if it'll improve next month. Salesperson told me 2020's coming in Oct. Looking at RTL-T as I don't want Honda Sensing/$1000 windshield repairs.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Do you know if dealer cash is staying the same in Sept? Or any other incentives? I have a couple decent offers in the works and wondering if it'll improve next month. Salesperson told me 2020's coming in Oct. Looking at RTL-T as I don't want Honda Sensing/$1000 windshield repairs.
Someone on another thread said 9/3 is the current expiration.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My advice is to search inventory for the trim and color combo you want to see availability. If there aren't many units showing in your area, you should buy now instead of waiting for September.

There were 13 RTL-E silver/black leather in a 500 mile radius when I searched which is why I didn't wait.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I pulled the trigger.

'19 RTL-T AWD
Modern Steel
Black interior
Splash guards, all weather mats, cargo tray
w/ doc fee

They had to locate out of state. Lots of Sports and RTLs, a few Es in my area. Had to talk w/ 6 dealers. I have to drive an hour and 20 minutes for this but my local dealer let me get up and walk out last Saturday and neither the salesperson or sales manager have reached out. Not much better than their deal but this salesperson worked hard for my business, working 2 other used cars, which helped me make a decision. Nobody was willing to eliminate the ~ $150 doc fee but would lower truck price with it.

Car gurus has some crazy "great deal" pricing on their comparison tool but nobody would get there around here.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I didn't realize the accessories I agreed to they listed at a $390 price so was able to remove that line.

33955 truck
155 doc fee
= 34110

I can get those accessories for a lot less.

·
Registered
9 Posts
@Hoss Coog the dealer locate fee between Toyota dealers when I sold in the early 2000's it was $300. You are right there is also the driver, but they were all retired guys making minimum wage at that time, just looking for something to do.
I asked a salesperson how much a locate is and he said $200-$300. If it's not close they have to have a truck, trailer, insurance, etc. My local dealer kept acting disrespected about having to go get one for me - like it was a huge cost. The dealer I ended up going with was able to locate 3 and didn't even ask me about colors until after the sale. The one I'm getting was already another locate so will have about 200 miles on it but will be trailered. The other two they found the dealer refused to give up and one was a demo with a lot more miles. When I got my '12 Odyssey from my local dealer they located it but it was driven ~ 100 miles. Logic would dictate that a further distance would require more hours and fuel, but it's not really this huge cost that should stop a deal from happening.

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
Keep in mind that many factory incentives apply only to units that are in stock - not those that are in transit or transferred from other dealers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Keep in mind that many factory incentives apply only to units that are in stock - not those that are in transit or transferred from other dealers.
I missed out on a $750 off new car "sale" one dealer had because of the locate. There was no special APR right now and the dealer cash still applied. I would guess the military and graduate discount would still apply if applicable. Obviously you lose some leverage when it's a locate so have to factor that in. My local dealer just got a new RTL in last week, still had stickers on it - wasn't ready for sale, etc. which I thought was odd if they're closing out '19s. Upper trims definitely drying up around here.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I asked a salesperson how much a locate is and he said $200-$300. If it's not close they have to have a truck, trailer, insurance, etc. My local dealer kept acting disrespected about having to go get one for me - like it was a huge cost. The dealer I ended up going with was able to locate 3 and didn't even ask me about colors until after the sale. The one I'm getting was already another locate so will have about 200 miles on it but will be trailered. The other two they found the dealer refused to give up and one was a demo with a lot more miles. When I got my '12 Odyssey from my local dealer they located it but it was driven ~ 100 miles. Logic would dictate that a further distance would require more hours and fuel, but it's not really this huge cost that should stop a deal from happening.
I can not remember the last time we charged for a dealer trade...

You also mentioned cargurus. I have always been confused on how they evaluate what a new car should sell for. They are not wrong when they say that their low ball price is a "really good deal" If someone was willing to sell for that low....it would indeed be a really good deal. Just is not a realistic selling price.

That does remind me of a few years ago, I was selling our first 2014 Civic SI that had arrived at our dealership. It was the first one to drop on a lot basically on the west coast (Two had shown up in L.A. and the Bay area...but other than that, none in Oregon, Idaho, Washington) They were just starting to ship. During negotiations, the folk tell me that "True car" says that these 2015 SI's are selling for $XX,XXX in our area based on zip code...and they want that deal. I asked them how True car can "know" what a car is selling for in our area when none have been sold yet within 600+ miles of us. I Showed them in hondas shipping network how we were the first in Oregon to get one and it had only arrived two days before. The look on their face as they slowly realized that the internet lied to them was kind of fun to watch for that moment. We still gave them an aggressive deal in the end because SI's don't sell fast and I hate to judge...but quite often it is younger/non established buyers trying to buy them that can't afford them. We were quite happy to have close to middle aged woman with excellent credit trying to buy it so we made it happen.

Sorry for the long entry...but yeah, cargurus is a good guide, especially on used cars, but take their "low price" with a grain of salt, if you expect to pay that price, you are just going to reinforce that the dealer is trying to "screw you" when it was never part of reality in the first place...

·
Administrator
14,051 Posts
It's all based on public records of actual prices paid and algorithms. If the computer wants to predict a purchase price for a new Civic Si, it needs to look no further than actual prices paid for previous model years. It's just a Civic Si. :)

1341 - 1360 of 1585 Posts