Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When using the cruise tonight I noticed a noise from the front left every time the truck used the brakes to keep distance with the car ahead. It sounded a lot like the noise an ABS system makes when you use it, a crunching kind of sound. It's not as loud as an ABS activation, but I was able to hear it over the radio playing at a relatively low volume. Is this normal for Honda systems? I never heard anything like it with the Mercedes cruise.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I occasionally hear something funky too... I assume the computer is using the ABS pump to brake the truck.

Interestingly, if I let the truck automatically brake to below 38km/h the brake pedal is very firm and there is better braking action then just braking normally.

A coworker of mine says the Honda active technologies burns up the brakes really quickly. He has an Acura.

·
Registered
175 Posts
When using the cruise tonight I noticed a noise from the front left every time the truck used the brakes to keep distance with the car ahead. It sounded a lot like the noise an ABS system makes when you use it, a crunching kind of sound. It's not as loud as an ABS activation, but I was able to hear it over the radio playing at a relatively low volume. Is this normal for Honda systems? I never heard anything like it with the Mercedes cruise.
If you were cruising on a somewhat level road (or under light load) you may have been hearing the VCM system kick in. The VCM sounds like a muted version of the ABS system.

I don't think the ACC system always uses the brakes to slow down. Sometimes it will just let off the gas a bit if it is approaching a slower vehicle gradually, the light load will cause the VCM to kick in. When it uses the brakes to slow down, I can hear the relay for the brake lights click on and off (or what I assume is the brake light relay).

Next time you hear it, try hitting the gas (if you are in a position to do so safely!) and then letting off -- if the noise immediately stops then it was probably the VCM.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The road I was on was pretty much the worst-case scenario for ACC - a curvy two lane with speeds varying from 55 down to 20 and back stuck behind a meandering driver, so the system was on the brakes more then it would normally be on a freeway.

If you were cruising on a somewhat level road (or under light load) you may have been hearing the VCM system kick in. The VCM sounds like a muted version of the ABS system.

I don't think the ACC system always uses the brakes to slow down. Sometimes it will just let off the gas a bit if it is approaching a slower vehicle gradually, the light load will cause the VCM to kick in. When it uses the brakes to slow down, I can hear the relay for the brake lights click on and off (or what I assume is the brake light relay).

Next time you hear it, try hitting the gas (if you are in a position to do so safely!) and then letting off -- if the noise immediately stops then it was probably the VCM.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have heard (and felt this as well) when in ACC is engaged and braking is needed to maintain set distance between vehicle ahead. I take it as normal.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts