Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a powerbass amp which drives my 2 10" powerbass sub's,My question is I want to either add the alpine power pack to my stock unit or 4 channel amp.. I have the PAC line out converter in back stock head unit, it hooked up to factory harness and RCA's run to amp... How would I go about hooking up the power pack by alpine.. Or 4 channel amp, I've debated about 5 channel amp but my sub's are made to not be bridged, which I was told..any input be helpful please...

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've also looked at the LC1 converter

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
The Alpine has high level inputs, meaning it needs no conversion. You *could* wire the Alpine just as it is designed in parallel with the PAC, most likely with the front channels would best.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So basically, just tap into front speakers not rear with the alpine and PAC still intact??

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
So basically, just tap into front speakers not rear with the alpine and PAC still intact??
You mentioned potentially adding a 4 or 5 channel amp, I assumed that meant you have front/rear door speakers with the sub.

If that's correct, I'm suggesting you'll (likely) want the sub amp & front channels of the Alpine power pack tied together so that when fading to the front, the sub remains engaged.

Without additional information, this seems to be the easiest/best/whatever connection scheme:

Presentation1.jpg

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, so if I just go with the alpine power pack, tap into front speakers or can I do all 4??

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
OK, so if I just go with the alpine power pack, tap into front speakers or can I do all 4??
Dude, think of it this way:
Install the power pack exactly as it comes, hooking all 4 outputs from the factory head unit to all 4 inputs of the Power Pack. Then connect all 4 amp outputs to all 4 vehicle speakers. That part is done.

Now, feed the PAC inputs with front channel outputs from the head unit (same place you connected the Power Pack) and you are off to the races.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically I got you now, I'm just feeding the PAC inputs to front channel on head unit where the alpine wires connect also????

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for help, now I got you, just confusing sometimes

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Maybe this is a stupid question, can I just ditch the line out converter and use the alpine power pack to add my rca cables from my 2 channel amp??

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alpine mrx f35 will probably be my choice for 4 channel.I already have 8 gauge wire with fuse into my powerbass sub amp..I'm gonna ground the alpine separately, now for power can I add another 8 gauge from battery with fuse or can I tap into 8 gauge I already have with out distribution block

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Anyone can help me out, I'm currently tapped into fuse box on passenger side for 8 gauge wire..Should I get another 8 or will 4 gauge work on fuse box also

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Anyone can help me out, I'm currently tapped into fuse box on passenger side for 8 gauge wire..Should I get another 8 or will 4 gauge work on fuse box also
Almost anything can be made to work in one fashion or another, but tapping the fuse box with dual 8 gauge or a single 4 is not advisable. Very strong recommendation: go directly to the battery. Use a single 4 gauge to a distribution block, then split to 8 to feed the amps. And for the love of God, place a properly sized fuse close to the battery tap point.

Working with DC sourced from a high capacity source like an automotive starting battery can be dangerous stuff. And I mean deadly dangerous. Make sure you know what you are doing. Vehicles have literally burned to the ground because of lack of knowledge. Be safe out there.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks oh six, I'll do that then, I'll find decent distribution block and 4 gauge wire with fuse and terminal hooked on..amps are small so I'll probably mount block inside around center Console or in middle somewhere..appreciate your help..

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quick question. Should I get fused distribution block or no, since I will have fuse at battery???

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Theres no single answer. Depends on equipment location and the surrounding environment. Its not necessary majority of installations and doubtful it would be in yours. You should be good with a fuse coming straight off the battery as it will protect against a dead short for the length of cable run. Dunno if your amps have chassis mounted or in-line fuses but either way, they'll protect the amps.

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Quick question. Should I get fused distribution block or no, since I will have fuse at battery???

Only fuse at distribution block if downsizing the wire, if equal size wire comes out of the dist block, no need to fuse. Those fuses value should be less than the total amps fuse value for each amp to have a weak link and protection.

·
Premium Member
388 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Maybe another dumb question, there are so many fuse holders to choose from, I've heard sealed and waterproof tend to heat up, what do you all usually use with 4 gauge wire..so many brands and types...

·
Premium Member
1,795 Posts
Maybe another dumb question, there are so many fuse holders to choose from, I've heard sealed and waterproof tend to heat up, what do you all usually use with 4 gauge wire..so many brands and types...
If someone is commenting on waterproof fuse holders under the hood with concern about "heating up", their worry is unfounded. The process of heat soak is going to heat wiring, holder and fuse to higher temperatures than they would get passing current to an audio system.

The function of a waterproof design is to lower or eliminate corrosion @ the various connection points (wire to fuse terminal, fuse terminal to fuse, ETC). Go for a water proof design and don't worry about heat. Here's my first pass at making a connection to the battery for the audio system.

20150516_132845_1.jpg

20150517_174848_1.jpg

See images of different solutions https://www.google.com/search?q=underhood+4+gauge+fuse+holder&biw=1920&bih=963&tbm=isch&imgil=eY_vfTkdN7GZXM%253A%253ByduXUfv4Y9bHpM%253Bhttps%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.mtx.com%25252Fsearch%25252F%25253Fq%2525253Dmtx%25252526start%2525253D40%25252526page%2525253D25&source=iu&pf=m&fir=eY_vfTkdN7GZXM%253A%252CyduXUfv4Y9bHpM%252C_&usg=__12jXB-UQzznEQ4nkBzmbucGysNs%3D&ved=0CCcQyjdqFQoTCL2R3bGClcYCFQKhgAodUmsAFA&ei=boKAVb2iEYLCggTS1oGgAQ#imgrc=eY_vfTkdN7GZXM%253A%3ByduXUfv4Y9bHpM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.mtx.com%252Fc%252Fthumbs%252F0004739_mtx-streetwires-fhxl0-10-awg-anl-style-fuse-holder.jpeg%3Bhttps%253A%252F%252Fwww.mtx.com%252Fsearch%252F%253Fq%253Dmtx%2526start%253D40%2526page%253D25%3B1288%3B1000&usg=__12jXB-UQzznEQ4nkBzmbucGysNs%3D

1 - 20 of 36 Posts