Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 08 LX (RT in USA) with a universal trailer light converter that works off the rear tail light. All my trailers have LED lighting so as not to overload the factory wiring. The new trailer I just bought has electric brakes. Can I just install a prodigy controller and run a separate wire (blue) from the unit to the rear 7 blade connector for the brakes to work? Of the 4 wires, 2 are feed , one feeds the trailer brakes and one feeds the brake light wire.

·
Premium Member
2009 Ridgeline RTL (with nav) in Bali Blue Pearl
2,261 Posts
I have an 08 LX (RT in USA) with a universal trailer light converter that works off the rear tail light. All my trailers have LED lighting so as not to overload the factory wiring. The new trailer I just bought has electric brakes. Can I just install a prodigy controller and run a separate wire (blue) from the unit to the rear 7 blade connector for the brakes to work? Of the 4 wires, 2 are feed , one feeds the trailer brakes and one feeds the brake light wire.
That sounds like an electrical gamble, especial with the Ridgeline. I have read a few posts where weared electrical issues crop up due to trailer wiring harness hack-jobs into the taillights, etc. I would spend the money and get the OEM trailer wiring harness that comes with all the proper connections and fuses you need to keep it all safe and away from vital stability control type systems: https://www.bernardiparts.com/Images/Install/2008_Ridgeline_TrailerHitch_AII36651.pdf

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. That is what I was looking for but couldn't find hense trying the direct method. I now have 1on order.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts