Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came across installation instructions for the RT remote start system, and it honestly looks no more complicated than activating upgraded key fobs which include the remote start button. It even seems to incorporate automatic climate settings. Does anyone know if it's this simple? If so I can't imagine the dealership being able to charge more than an hours labor to 'install' the system, and almost seems to be a no-brainer considering the fobs can be had discounted for $80 across various parts/accessory sites.

https://estore.honda.com/honda/accessories/installation-instructions/list.asp?year=2017&model=Ridgeline&modelName=Ridgeline

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am wondering how I can add remote start to my RT. Can I just get the fob with the remote start? I doubt it is that easy, or is it? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
464 Posts
3rd party is going to be significantly cheaper, even if a factory route is possible.

You're talking a new Honda keyfob + the hardware to get the remote start installed + the reprogramming fee. The keyfob and programming alone will be hundreds of dollars.

·
Registered
4 Posts
So far what I am finding is that I need a new fob and programming - no new hardware. Just looking to verify. I found Honda remotes for $60 +shipping, tax. My local dealer said that a cut and program is $60 as well. It might take a more expensive programming, but they said no other parts are needed. Just seeing if anyone has experience with this

·
Registered
464 Posts
Interesting, so you're saying the hardware is already in the vehicle, just a new key and programming is needed? Times must've changed.

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is what it seems like. Here is a link to a Honda sheet that says it is a dealer installed accessory on the RT. My local Honda dealer said that the only part needed was the fob. Searching in Hondapartsnow.com seems to support this. https://hondanews.com/en-US/releases/2017-honda-ridgeline-press-kit-comfort-convenience

I am not certain if there is any additional programming that has to happen, or if a simple fob program is all it takes

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just came across installation instructions for the RT remote start system, and it honestly looks no more complicated than activating upgraded key fobs which include the remote start button. It even seems to incorporate automatic climate settings. Does anyone know if it's this simple? If so I can't imagine the dealership being able to charge more than an hours labor to 'install' the system, and almost seems to be a no-brainer considering the fobs can be had discounted for $80 across various parts/accessory sites.

https://estore.honda.com/honda/accessories/installation-instructions/list.asp?year=2017&model=Ridgeline&modelName=Ridgeline
Did you ever find out more info? I called my dealership and they had 2 different options - cut and program the key, or install remote start, which was much more expensive. I'm going to have the remote start added, but I am wondering if I can avoid the "install" cost with the simple program new key instead?

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
You could install Drone Mobile on it (best buy has it) so you could remote start/stop and lock/unlock from your phone. Since it uses the cellular network range is virtually unlimited.

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
In order to add remote start to the RT, you need a remote from an RTS or above. The vehicle will need dealer programming to recognize the remote. The process takes about 10 minutes, but expect to pay an hour's labor (typically $150). The Keyless Access / TPMS control unit already contains the hardware necessary for remote start. The Owner's Manual states that "the heating and cooling system is activated in recirculation mode when it is warm outside" and that "the defroster is activated at a moderately warm temperature when it is cold outside".

·
Registered
464 Posts
In order to add remote start to the RT, you need a remote from an RTS or above. The vehicle will need dealer programming to recognize the remote. The process takes about 10 minutes, but expect to pay an hour's labor (typically $150). The Keyless Access / TPMS control unit already contains the hardware necessary for remote start.
He just said in his post that it's nowhere near that expensive:

So far what I am finding is that I need a new fob and programming - no new hardware. Just looking to verify. I found Honda remotes for $60 +shipping, tax. My local dealer said that a cut and program is $60 as well. It might take a more expensive programming, but they said no other parts are needed. Just seeing if anyone has experience with this

·
Administrator
16,062 Posts
He just said in his post that it's nowhere near that expensive:
$60 is unusually cheap for remote programming - especially if you bring your own remote purchased elsewhere. Many dealers will charge that much just to replace a $25 cabin air filter that takes less than two minutes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts