Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched as best I could on here to see if there were any preexisting threads but I didn't see any.

I'm sort of in the considering stage on trying to add a second battery to my BE to get more play time on Truck Bed Audio and possibly to go along with adding a light bar. Has anyone done any research or even made this mod on a G2? Normally it's not a complicated proposition adding a paralell battery at a distribution box possibly with an isolator but the fact that the G2 has the more advanced battery monitoring makes me leary of just going for it. I'm not sure what impact it would have on the readings that units sees and if the truck will think something has gone horribly wrong for example in some scenarios.

I may just go for it one day and see what happens but I like to try to research and plan as much as I can up front.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Forgive me if this is a stupid thought, this is something I know nothing about. But, if you have another car, couldn't you just connect jumper cables to that battery, play your audio for awhile and see what happens. In fact, maybe fully charge the Ridgeline, play the audio and time how long it plays before the Ridgeline says, "No more." Then recharge it, connect the other battery with jumper cables and do the same test.

If you get more play time without the Ridgeline having issues, then it would seem to work. If you don't get more play time or the Ridgeline doesn't like what it sees with the battery then it doesn't work.

·
Administrator
15,256 Posts
Alternate Option 1
If outdoors, leave the engine running. It'll idle for almost two days on a full tank of fuel at a cost of about $1 per hour.

Alternate Option 2
If outdoors, use a quiet generator like a Honda EU2000i which has an 8A, 12VDC output.

Alternate Option 3
If indoors, use a 12VDC power supply like the ones used at car shows.

By the time you factor in the cost of a generator, power supply, or even a second battery, you may find alternate option 1 to be the most practical and economical solution.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgive me if this is a stupid thought, this is something I know nothing about. But, if you have another car, couldn't you just connect jumper cables to that battery, play your audio for awhile and see what happens. In fact, maybe fully charge the Ridgeline, play the audio and time how long it plays before the Ridgeline says, "No more." Then recharge it, connect the other battery with jumper cables and do the same test.

If you get more play time without the Ridgeline having issues, then it would seem to work. If you don't get more play time or the Ridgeline doesn't like what it sees with the battery then it doesn't work.
It's not a stupid thought. However, I'm not worried in the moment about it causing problems when using the truck bed audio. I've jumped a car off the RL before and everything worked fine and that basically becomes a dual battery system temporarily. Based on that, I think doing what you suggested there would be fine.

I'm more worried about long term cycling and maintaining two batteries instead of 1. After this last weekend I was thinking with a second battery and a light bar this would be the ultimate night time party truck. But if I add a bar and don't improve the battery situation somehow then the run time is going to suffer. As it stands TBA seems to run for a little over 3 hours before shutting off to prevent over draining the batteries and allow the truck to start still. If it didn't have the fancy battery minotauring system then I wouldn't even worry I'd just start planning out where to put it and buying stuff but that's what is giving me pause here. I wish Honda had like an "enthusiast hotline" or email we could send questions direct to. My dealership knows nothing about the RL, are shady and untrustworthy and can't even perform simple mechanical repairs. No way I'm going to bring this question to them.

·
Administrator
15,256 Posts
As it stands TBA seems to run for a little over 3 hours before shutting off to prevent over draining the batteries and allow the truck to start still.
"For the system to operate, the vehicle must moving at less than 10 mph or be stopped with the transmission in Park. The vehicle can be running, or the system can operate in ACC mode. In ACC mode, the system is timed to run for three hours, provided the battery state of charge is adequate. If the battery charge drops below a set level, the system automatically shuts down to preserve adequate charge to insure that the engine can be restarted. When the system shuts off due to low battery charge, or due to three hours of operation since the ignition has been placed in the ACC position, the audio exciters emit an audible beep tone 30 seconds before the system shuts down.

Depending on the ambient temperature and other electrical loads, the battery may be able to operate the Truck Bed Audio System for more than 11 hours total before requiring the engine to be started to recharge the battery."
- 2017 Honda Ridgeline Press Kit - Audio and Connectivity - Honda News

I'm sort of in the considering stage on trying to add a second battery to my BE to get more play time on Truck Bed Audio and possibly to go along with adding a light bar. I'm not sure what impact it would have on the readings that units sees and if the truck will think something has gone horribly wrong for example in some scenarios.
The second battery would almost certainly need to be connected on the battery side (not the truck side) of the ELD. Otherwise, the PCM wouldn't be able to sense the load on the primary battery, at minimum, and may not select the correct charging rate for either battery.

Due to the Ridgeline's intelligent charging system which includes an Electrical Load Detector for the (primary) battery, you'd need to ensure the secondary battery was connected on the vehicle side (not the battery side) of the ELD. Otherwise, the charging system may cause damage to one or both batteries since it can't monitor and charge each battery individually.

·
Super Moderator
5,488 Posts
Just relocate the windshield washer fluid reservoir and you are golden! Probably have to buy a smaller one from a parts store.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Dual Battery Setup

Planning to add a deep cycle second battery with an isolator to my rig to connect all my accessories for my travels.
I know it is a relatively easy task for most and there are information on the web. Still any input for the battery and isolator brand, size, install much appreciated.
Thinking to make a visit to a RV repair shop for the installation soon.

Cheers.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Re: Dual Battery Setup

I’ve done this on my boat. Three deep cycles isolated to two for the 24 v trolling motor while retaining two for emergency start.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Re: Dual Battery Setup

Will you be installing the battery in the trunk?
I cannot think of any other place to put a battery except inside the cab! There is NO room under the hood for another battery.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
MAybe just buy one of those portable jumper, air pump, charging systems. Mine has 110v, usb, cigarettte light etc.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I wonder if a Lithium Iron (LiFePO4) battery might work for your second battery. They are very small compared to Lead/Acid or AGM batteries. Small and light.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry to bump an old thread but I had a RTL-E that I want to do the same too. Specifically to run a dash cam for parking monitoring as it got broken into once already.

Went through the lithium battery route and read issues with lithium not being able to withstand high heat temperatures inside the car.

After reading the whole thread how does one install an auxiliary battery that can charge from the alternator but not drain the primary battery for the dash cam?

There are kits on amazon to cut power once the fuse box detects the power source voltage to be less than 12V but I much rather have the auxiliary battery work instead of the primary incase I get stranded. So how would one isolate the auxiliary battery from the primary battery but still allow the auxiliary to be charged from the alternator? Along with mitigating issues with the ELD.

Location: Make space in engine bay? Remove OEM battery and install 2 batteries that take up the original space? Install under rear seats? Install in trunk?

Just wanted to know if this is a possible project. Thanks everyone.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
Anything is possible with enough time and money!

Reactions: zroger73

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
1 - 20 of 26 Posts