Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone added additional tie-downs along the middle of the truck bed sides? I'd like to add a 'D' ring to the center along each side, probably inside the recessed section. If anyone has done this, I'd like some advice on how to attach it. Can I just use self-tapping screws or would they need to be bolted in (and if so, how would I get inside to run the bolts)? This is what I'm looking at using from Harbor Freight. 2 Piece 1/4 inch D-ring

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me add that these would be for light- to medium-duty use. Mostly just some additional anchor points for rope, bungees, and tie-down straps. The most force they'd need to be able to hold would be if I use some ratcheting tie-down straps on them to secure some cargo.

·
Registered
951 Posts
Do some searching when you have time.
ChrisM comes to mind with mods for hauling.
Check out his posts.
And recently a member added rails on the top bed rails for moveable tie downs.
Without reinforcement adding at the side panels will not take much force to secure loads.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5059

·
Premium Member
5,566 Posts
I know that this may be a little "over the top" for your needs but this setup works really well. I have done this mod to both of my Ridgelines and have put some incredible amount of torque on the straps attached to these rails. I have had 14 window air conditioners, 2 or 3 refrigerators and a couch and loveseat strapped down to my add on tie downs and the bed sides held the load without complaint. :)

If you need something heavy duty, this is definitely the ticket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks both! ChrisM, that is a little heavy-duty for what I'd like, but it looks like a good system.

Thanks also for the link to the other post. Somehow it didn't come up in my searches. I like the D-rings that psango used (page 5, #47) and will try to contact him to see how they're holding up.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
If you like the OEM look, you can order / add additional factory tie-downs.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
There is a system on Costcos site that looks good. I tried the D ring method and found that it blocked my trunk from opening. Oops..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Here is a pic of what I did, and yes, the trunk lid clears. The "light duty only" silver brackets by the tailgate swivel upward so that I have something to hook on to if need be.

Hope this helps!

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the ideas. I've ordered some D-links from eBay and will try that method. They should definitely work in the center fo the side rails and I'm going to test the trunk lid clearance before adding them to that end.

·
Premium Member
1,685 Posts
The D rings can be used on the cab side and the tailgate if need be. I'm just going to take mine off and take the five dollar loss..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I know that this may be a little "over the top" for your needs but this setup works really well. I have done this mod to both of my Ridgelines and have put some incredible amount of torque on the straps attached to these rails. I have had 14 window air conditioners, 2 or 3 refrigerators and a couch and loveseat strapped down to my add on tie downs and the bed sides held the load without complaint. :)

How are these fastened to the bed panels? Just large washers backing them, or did you use some sort of strip/plate for additional pull-through or cracking protection? This is pretty much exactly what I want to do and would love to learn from your experience. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Hope someone here can help you, but it’s been about three years since I’ve seen ChrisM on here

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hope someone here can help you, but it’s been about three years since I’ve seen ChrisM on here
Yeah, I figured it was a long shot given how long ago it was, but I did see he has over 5,000 posts, so was hoping he might still be active. May just have to pull off the panels to see what sort of space there is behind them and then use my best judgment on how to back the fasteners.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Sounds like a good opportunity to post a “how to” with pics

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sounds like a good opportunity to post a “how to” with pics
If/when I do something, I'll do a "how to" with pics. My application is really specific - I mostly haul two dirt bikes and could really use one or two attachment points in the front panelof the bed in the middle so that I don't have to cross a strap from the inside fork of each bike to the far side of the bed. That usually involved putting a strap through the front wheel of the other bike to get to that low anchor point.

So I may just put two very short or even two single e-track receivers in the middle of the front panel on either side of where the tire would go if I was hauling a single dirt bike. Putting an e-track single tie-down ring there would make loading and unloading the bikes so much easier and faster.

Will keep this thread posted on my progress.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I pulled the front panel off so I could see what I have to work with, there. There's definitely enough space behind the panel for large washers or a flat metal plate with locknuts, so I think I'm going to mount some e-track there. Here are picks of the panel off the truck in case anyone is interested seeing what's behind there. 2008.

The horizontal "bar" across the top is super beefy. If I was really worried about the strength of the mounting points, I think i'd weld some material here and that I would then drill and tap. As you can see in one of the pics below, there's enough space (1/2") between the cover and the metal to do this.

Here's the back of the front bed liner panel.

The pic below is looking straight down the back of the bed liner. It looks like, if you wanted to mount something behind the middle of the cover, you'd only have about 1/2" of space between the bed liner and the sheet metal.

At the bottom of the liner, there's almost an inch of space between the liner and the sheet metal. Below, you see the standoff distance of the bottom mounting points.

I'll post more pics as I mount the e-track.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I promised I'd do a how-to when I did this project. Here it is:

·
Registered
3 Posts

This looks awesome! Have you done this on a 2nd gen (2021)? It looks like the bolt holes are a little different.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts