Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a 2WD RTL-T and thought I was getting a 5k rating (according to the dealer). Of course it only has 3,500 lb rating. If I add the tranny cooler would that up the rating to 5k? Is the suspension any different between the AWD and RWD? Anyone have any insight on this?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would be more concerned with the fact of not having the rear wheels pulling/getting traction. I guess it all depends on what you will be towing and the type of terrain you will be on. A heavy trailer that starts to sway may be a little more difficult to get under control with a FWD vs. an AWD. Not saying it couldn´t be done, just saying it all depends on towing experience and conditions. I don´t think the reason for the extra towing capacity is all due to the cooler, but that´s just my thoughts.
So are saying the dealer told you a FWD has a 5,000 lb towing capacity?

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,595 Posts
I would think that the difference is the amount of strain the front drive shafts/differential/etc can handle by themselves.
I can't see how the towed weight can be a factor. The strain is provided by the engine, right? So it shouldn't matter if you're attached to a telephone pole, the strain is a function of engine power... at least to my thinking.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah the dealer told me the truck could tow 5,000 pds and everything I read beforehand did as well. I didn't see any differentiation between the AWD and 2WD until I had the tow accessories installed. On the tongue it's spelled out 2wd = 3,500 pds.

What's weird is that normally 2WD trucks can tow more than 4wd, due to the difference in the gross vehicle weight (the 4wd components weigh more). This was true of other trucks I was looking at.

·
Super Moderator
22,595 Posts
Sorry you got caught short due to misinformation Jeff. Many of us here were well aware of the differences in tow spec because of our involvement with the ROC. But I can see how you got caught short. Hope it won't affect the usability of your G2 RL for you..

·
Registered
296 Posts
Well normally 2wd trucks are rwd not fwd like the ridgeline...
This. Most trucks come with rear-wheel drive, as do the largest SUVs. RWD design directs the engine’s power toward the axle that is bearing the most weight when carrying heavy cargo or towing. Many smaller and midsize SUVs, however, come with front-wheel drive, which does offer better traction in rain and snow but provides less control over the rear of the vehicle, which is critical for towing. When a trailer is attached to a front-wheel drive vehicle, most of the weight is placed on the wheels that are significantly less powerful.

As mentioned above, a tow package also assists in proper trailering. A SUV/truck equipped with this option is typically built with beefed-up suspension and brakes, a larger radiator with added cooling capacity, a tranny cooler, and a transmission capable of sending more power to the drive wheels---all of which adds up to a more powerful vehicle that is better prepared to manage a heavy load.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
I can't see how the towed weight can be a factor. The strain is provided by the engine, right? So it shouldn't matter if you're attached to a telephone pole, the strain is a function of engine power... at least to my thinking.
I don't know that I can see that point Speed. Without rear drive, the front drive train (tranny, axles, etc.) carry the entire load from engine to road. And while the engine power defines the limit of power input, the resistance of the load being pulled determines how much load goes into those drive train components (imagine empty on ice vs. tied to a tree). And given this resistance load is no longer shared with rear end components, there's GOT to be more strain on those FWD components trying to overcome that resisting load. At least this makes sense to me.

And isn't it under heaviest loads (accelerating, etc.) when automatic VTM-4 activation maximizes torque transfer to the rear?? Which would help limit excessive load to the front.... or am I remembering wrong.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
I agree with you Dnick, and I see Speed's Point. But I've never seen a FWD Honda or other make with 5k Towing

OP, If you need 5k towing, I'd go back to the dealer and work on a deal. They screwed up and need to train their people accordingly. My Co-worker was purchasing a Nissan Armada and once they got it home and were reading the paperwork the 11k or so towing that they were sold on was only on the highest optioned model. The local dealer did a deal and got them in the appropriate Armada with only a few extra $, and I just discussed this with her. Trust me your low mile optioned RL will sell and they will make money on it.

·
Super Moderator
22,595 Posts
There was a discussion about this some years ago on the ROC, but I have no idea what thread had the discussion. Mak be able to find it. ;)

IIRC, the load the truck feels has no bearing on what's being towed, but what's powering the wheels... or something to that effect.

IE, if you put a 10k load to the hitch (and stay within the tongue limits), it will tow it, but acceleration and stopping will be adversely affected vs a 5k load vs an empty truck. As best I recall.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Hi all, I have a 2WD RTL-T and thought I was getting a 5k rating (according to the dealer). Of course it only has 3,500 lb rating. If I add the tranny cooler would that up the rating to 5k? Is the suspension any different between the AWD and RWD? Anyone have any insight on this?

Yeah the dealer told me the truck could tow 5,000 pds and everything I read beforehand did as well. I didn't see any differentiation between the AWD and 2WD until I had the tow accessories installed. On the tongue it's spelled out 2wd = 3,500 pds....

Not to add insult to injury, but your vehicle does not even have a 3500 lbs tow rating UNLESS you install the HD transmission cooler. Your FWD Ridgeline has NO tow rating without the HD transmission cooler.

If you already had the "tow accessories" installed, then these should have included the HD transmission cooler. With them, you are now maxed-out at 3500 lbs.

·
Registered
415 Posts
In the AWD version the strain on the driveline is spread through 4 drive shafts connecting the wheels to the transfer cases. Simplifying it, it would be like each wheel is pulling 1250 lbs. If the FWD was to pull 5000 lbs, then the front driveshafts would be forced to pull 2500 each! That might be too much strain on the driveshafts and other related components.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Not to add insult to injury, but your vehicle does not even have a 3500 lbs tow rating UNLESS you install the HD transmission cooler. Your FWD Ridgeline has NO tow rating without the HD transmission cooler.

If you already had the "tow accessories" installed, then these should have included the HD transmission cooler. With them, you are now maxed-out at 3500 lbs.
Please enlighten me on this. I am not finding this information anywhere. I looked at a Sport FWD and the tag on the back near the hitch said 3500. I didn´t see anything on the window sticker mentioning a cooler. If you could link me to this info I would appreciate it, because I need to have the 3500 capacity, but I don´t need to be up to 5k.
I was under the impression the ¨tow acessories¨ was just the draw bar and ball and of course with the FWD you have to add the light connector.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Please enlighten me on this. I am not finding this information anywhere. I looked at a Sport FWD and the tag on the back near the hitch said 3500. I didn´t see anything on the window sticker mentioning a cooler. If you could link me to this info I would appreciate it, because I need to have the 3500 capacity, but I don´t need to be up to 5k.
I was under the impression the ¨tow acessories¨ was just the draw bar and ball and of course with the FWD you have to add the light connector.
I am going to turn this around and ask you to provide a link to the towing capacity for a FWD Ridgeline that is NOT equipped with the optional transmission cooler.

The only towing spec for the FWD Ridgleine I'm aware of is 3500 lbs WITH HD transmission cooler. I have never seen a towing spec for the RL without an HD cooler installed.

The decal on the hitch shows max rating with HD transmission cooler.

·
Registered
784 Posts
[3] 5,000 lbs. maximum towing capacity for AWD models; 3,500 lbs. for 2WD models. Towing requires accessory towing equipment. Please see your dealer for details.
That's from the press kit.

Guys, I could be mistaken and my apologies if so, but on my Pilot "accessory towing equipment" is defined in the manual as the HD transmission cooler (and power steering cooler). Without these components (on my '07 Pilot) the vehicle has no tow rating (that includes the AWD version.)

Can it be that the FWD Ridgeline somehow tows at 3500 lbs without the HD transmission cooler, and the AWD only tows at 5000 lbs with the cooler and AWD?

I would be sure to ask your dealer (and ask them to double check with Honda) whether the cooler is required on your FWD models.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,269 Posts
ISO,

FWIW, the Gen 1 (G1) Ridgeline had standard on all models (which were all AWD) the Transmission Cooler and Power Steering Cooler, on the Pilot those were optional equipment. This is relating to both 2005 Pilot, 2006 Pilot and 2006 Ridgeline.

And it's still required in 2016 Pilot

Attachments

·
Registered
59 Posts
I am going to turn this around and ask you to provide a link to the towing capacity for a FWD Ridgeline that is NOT equipped with the optional transmission cooler.

The only towing spec for the FWD Ridgleine I'm aware of is 3500 lbs WITH HD transmission cooler. I have never seen a towing spec for the RL without an HD cooler installed.

The decal on the hitch shows max rating with HD transmission cooler.
I am simply asking for some clarification and it seemed like you had the info I needed. The sport I looked at had no indication of a cooler on it and the tag showed 3500 lbs. I was hoping you could tell me where I could find this info because as we all know not all salesmen have all the info accurate. I need to have the 3500 rating, but if it does not say cooler on the window sticker, how can I be sure?
This one has no indication of cooler, but in the specs it says 3500 lb capacity.
On the Honda build site all I can find is 3500 for FWD, 5000 for AWD.
I was turning to you to clarify this. If I had a link that showed otherwise I would not have asked for you to provide more information. I thought I was good to go until I read your post, now I am concerned. So, what would be the rating for a FWD without a cooler?

New 2017 Honda Ridgeline For Sale Conroe, TX| Stock# 66335

·
Registered
784 Posts
I am simply asking for some clarification and it seemed like you had the info I needed. The sport I looked at had no indication of a cooler on it and the tag showed 3500 lbs. I was hoping you could tell me where I could find this info because as we all know not all salesmen have all the info accurate. I need to have the 3500 rating, but if it does not say cooler on the window sticker, how can I be sure?
This one has no indication of cooler, but in the specs it says 3500 lb capacity.
On the Honda build site all I can find is 3500 for FWD, 5000 for AWD.
I was turning to you to clarify this. If I had a link that showed otherwise I would not have asked for you to provide more information. I thought I was good to go until I read your post, now I am concerned. So, what would be the rating for a FWD without a cooler?
Sorry, rereading my post it seems argumentative but that was not how I intended it. I just want to alert FWD owners to this issue before they tow.

To answer your question (bolded above), if the RL is like the Pilot, there is no tow rating WITHOUT the HD transmission cooler. My vehicle has NO tow rating without the HD tranny cooler per the owners manual. A FWD RL does not have a standard HD tranny cooler either.

The owners manual should explain this (my Pilot manual does). But a knowledgeable Honda rep should be able to track this down -- I doubt a standard salesperson would know.

Carsmark, thanks for that info. As you said, the previous Gen 1 RL never had this question because there were no FWD versions. But this G2 is even more like the Pilot than G1, so anyone with an FWD should assume the same restrictions apply until they confirm otherwise.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts