Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working up a parts list and info on how to add ventilated seats to the USDM Ridgeline. Looks like this is difficult but possible.

Grand total for the parts needed to do just the drivers seat is $396. This is also assuming the cushions do not need to be swapped. There is a different part number for the ventilated cushion however the heat/ventilator pad installs above the cushion. I am guessing the cushion has a cut out for the blower that might be able to be hacked. If not add another $196. The old heater pad would be able to be resold, so some money could be recouping some cash.

The following part numbers are from the 2016 Pilot Elite which may or may not work. Canadian Ridgeline part numbers are not available yet.

10 - 81217-TG7-A51 TCI, FR. SEAT-BACK $60.98
11 - 81219-TG7-A51 TCI, TAIL (UPPER) $58.91
23 - 81618-TG7-A51 TCI, L. FR. SEAT CUSHION $66.12

6 - 81216-TZ5-A61 BLOWER, FR. SEAT-BACK $61.18
17 - 81601-TZ5-A61 BLOWER, L. FR. CUSHION $83.52
47 - 81161-TG7-A51 COVER, BLOWER $27.90

15 - 35650-TG7-A51 SWITCH ASSY., L. HEATED SEAT &FAN SEAT $38.32

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Getting it wired up is the big PITA. I can see the diagrams on the Honda express site but I am guessing that reposting all of that here would be a copyright issue. So here is a description:

The switch is momentary and sends a signal to the climate control unit only. From there the climate control talks to the ventilated seat control unit under the seat which controls the blowers. The blowers are PWM (pulse width modulated).

So there ZERO possibility of just hooking up 12v and getting it to work. I can see four possible fixes.

1. Buy all the parts and hook everything up and see what happens. Maybe even though the USDM climate control was never meant to control ventilated seats the logic was not removed from it's programming.
2. Buy all the parts AND the Canadian climate control and ventilator control unit. This option should definitely work but would balloon the price up to $1000 or more.
3. Use an arduino to provide PWM control for the blowers. This option is much more feasible. A single blower could be purchased and used for testing bringing down the initial cost and risk. PWM isn't rocket science but is something I have not worked with before.
4. Use an alternate blower that works on 12v. This option could also bring down the cost.

If someone has access to a 2016 Pilot Elite and could use a oscilloscope on one of the blowers that would give the community all the info we need to get this going!

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,374 Posts
I applaud your serious efforts!

Figure out what's needed for the seats and FOR THE REAR WINDOW and develop kits with all the parts and an install video and you could probably sell a bunch to the early adopters here!

Hopefully Honda will come to their senses before too long . . .

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a '13 Explorer Limited with ventilated seats. It's gets pretty hot and humid in NC in the summer and we still only use this feature maybe 10 times a year. If the car has been sitting in the sun it's nice to cool the seats quickly. However, after a few minutes it will feel like we are sitting in a puddle of water. Cool, damp, yuck.

I guess what I'm saying is that this feature is fine if comes with a vehicle, but I would never go to the trouble of adding it after market. Especially this much trouble. But that's just me...

·
Registered
97 Posts
Getting it wired up is the big PITA. I can see the diagrams on the Honda express site but I am guessing that reposting all of that here would be a copyright issue. So here is a description:

The switch is momentary and sends a signal to the climate control unit only. From there the climate control talks to the ventilated seat control unit under the seat which controls the blowers. The blowers are PWM (pulse width modulated).

So there ZERO possibility of just hooking up 12v and getting it to work. I can see four possible fixes.

1. Buy all the parts and hook everything up and see what happens. Maybe even though the USDM climate control was never meant to control ventilated seats the logic was not removed from it's programming.
2. Buy all the parts AND the Canadian climate control and ventilator control unit. This option should definitely work but would balloon the price up to $1000 or more.
3. Use an arduino to provide PWM control for the blowers. This option is much more feasible. A single blower could be purchased and used for testing bringing down the initial cost and risk. PWM isn't rocket science but is something I have not worked with before.
4. Use an alternate blower that works on 12v. This option could also bring down the cost.

If someone has access to a 2016 Pilot Elite and could use a oscilloscope on one of the blowers that would give the community all the info we need to get this going!
Couldn't the pilot elite climate control and ventilator be used?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
183 Posts
If someone figures this out, I would definitely install it in mine

·
Registered
682 Posts
step 1: buy us ridge line
step 2: by ca ridgeline
step 3: switch cluster and vin #'s

ta-dah.. ventilated seats, plus foldy mirrors!

alternative: move to canada! especially with this election.....

·
Premium Member
447 Posts
We have the cooled seats in my wife's Ford Edge. They have been rather underwhelming here in Texas. I'd sure suggest that you find one to try before you make a major investment in the modification.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,279 Posts
I'd second the idea of testing a ventilated seat, from Honda, maybe the PILOT Elite or Touring, or an Acura MDX. My dad's Lexus LS 460 has them, and I was thoroughly underwhelmed, using them for the better part of a week in August this year. I had always wanted them, but I would have to try any out before spending extra to get them, or buying the parts to install them. YMMV

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't know. I would just leave it alone i wouldent even attemp to do that. They will probably come out with that in a few years for the USDM model RL. That, and i hope side mirror turn signals on models RTL-T and above. Its a brand new truck, i would just let it be IMO. However, if you do do that I applaud you because then i will be jealous.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Did this ever gain any traction?

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a '13 Explorer Limited with ventilated seats. It's gets pretty hot and humid in NC in the summer and we still only use this feature maybe 10 times a year. If the car has been sitting in the sun it's nice to cool the seats quickly. However, after a few minutes it will feel like we are sitting in a puddle of water. Cool, damp, yuck.

I guess what I'm saying is that this feature is fine if comes with a vehicle, but I would never go to the trouble of adding it after market. Especially this much trouble. But that's just me...
Never had 'em. But since you have and you live within an hour of me, it makes me feel better that you think they're not that big a deal. Probably better in the arid desert southwest. Thanks for the post!

·
Registered
47 Posts
It would be interesting to know how different the wiring harnesses are. Considering the Ridgeline is produced primarily for the US and Canada, I can't fathom the difference is much. It would be nice if the wiring harness was pre wired for those items, ventilated seats, power side mirrors, etc. My TLX was pre wired for a heated steering wheel and rear seat heaters even though that was a Canadian only option. There was a fuse needed but the fuse box was even labeled for those items.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey All,

Does anyone know what the effort would be to retrofit ventilated seats into a USDM RTL-E. It appears the leather is already perforated and ready for ventilation. Potentially the only missing pieces could be the fans in the seats and the switches to enable them. There is a good chance that the wiring may already be there just not plugged in. Does anyone know if the actual internals of the seats are different?

smanders

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,279 Posts
@smanders this thread is the most recent discussion although there are others, I'm doubtful if anyone has actually completed it.

Ventilated Seat Threads

Moderator Note : Threads Merged

·
Registered
12 Posts
@smanders this thread is the most recent discussion although there are others, I'm doubtful if anyone has actually completed it.

Ventilated Seat Threads

Moderator Note : Threads Merged
Thanks for syncing me up with this thread. It did not come up at all in my “ventilated seats” search.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 31 Posts