Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 143 Posts

· Administrator
24,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The following features and functions are found on the Canadian Ridgeline, but not the US model:
  • Heated windshield wiper area (added to US models for 2021)
  • Ventilated front seats
  • Power folding mirrors
  • Rear climate control panel
  • Heated rear seats
  • CD player (accessory for US models, deleted for 2021)
  • Rain-sensing wipers
  • Dual note horns (added to US models for 2019)
  • Turn signals in the mirrors (added to US models for 2021)
  • Splash guards (accessory for US models)
  • Larger washer fluid tank (1.4 gallons vs. 1.0 gallon)
  • Electronic heated seat controls with three settings vs. a rocker switch with two settings (added to US models for 2020)
  • Heated seats automatically turn on during a remote start when it's cold (added to US models for 2020)
  • Steering wheel lock

· Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,829 Posts
OK and I'm serious, What stops someone from Buying in Canada if they live in say "Detroit"

I thought with NAFTA and "Free Trade" and such that would be possible

Because that's an awful lot of features that are not even on our "Top of the Line" RTL-E and BE versions

Additional Thoughts...
And we're gonna need to start a thread on "How to, HACK, Canadian Features, on to US Ridgelines"

Because in certain climates some of those would be quite nice to have.

· Registered
1,093 Posts
It's not impossible to buy in Canada and import but you have the tax issues (paying 13% HST in say Ontario) and then your local tax when you register it in your home State (everyone wants their money!)...With some dealer agreements they don't allow cross border sales (unless sold as 'used')...At least the 1.30 CAD$ to 1.00 USD$ helps make up the high cost in Canada.

I had a 2014 RAM 1500 Big Horn that was Canadian but bought from a US dealer that bought it at a Manheim auction. I traded it in to a US RAM dealer for my EcoDiesel.

It is strange that the features aren't dead on...I most cases, the US and Canadian version are very, very similar with different model designations. Power folding mirrors are useful as are heated rear seats and rain sensing wipers...All are on my RAM...

· Administrator
24,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
With enough paperwork, time, and possibly some fees and/or taxes, I don't see why it can't be legally registered and operated here.

I believe the biggest concern is warranty coverage - with few exceptions, you'd need to bring your vehicle back to Canada for warranty repairs which could be quite a hassle.

One thing to keep in mind is all the units will be metric. Some units like the trip computer can be switched between English and metric, but others like the climate control, for example, would always be in °C.

· Administrator
24,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
The USA Gen2 really doesn't have rain sensing wipers?
Nope. Neither do the US Pilot nor the US CR-V (although the Canadian versions do). The Civic does, though!

Curious. Are there US features that the Canadian version doesn't have?
Probably not. The G2 hasn't been released in Canada yet. There are 5 Canadian trims (LX, Sport, EX-L, Touring, and Black Edition) and all are AWD vs. 7 US trims - 5 of which are available in FWD. It's possible there are some features on US models that won't exist on a Canadian trim, but it's unlikely.

· Registered
1,093 Posts
With enough paperwork, time, and possibly some fees and/or taxes, I don't see why it can't be legally registered and operated here.

I believe the biggest concern is warranty coverage - with few exceptions, you'd need to bring your vehicle back to Canada for warranty repairs which could be quite a hassle.

One thing to keep in mind is all the units will be metric. Some units like the trip computer can be switch between English and metric, but others like the climate control, for example, would always be in °C.
Correct info on the warranty...My 2014 RAM would have had to go back to Canada (but it was trouble free fortunately - although the RAM dealer in Ft Erie, ON was only 19 miles from my house).

The same would apply for Honda Canada dealers for me - close at hand...

Even though I have a cottage in Canada, I've never found it advantageous to buy my vehicles in Canada (other than a new boat in 2004 when the exchange was 1.50 and the dealer 'helped' me avoid Ontario taxes via 'exporting' the boat - stuff you could never get away with today or with a car/truck).

· Premium Member
359 Posts
Ventilated front seats is the option I'd like....

· Registered
83 Posts
The following features are unique to the Canadian Ridgeline.

- Heated windshield
- Ventilated front seats
- Power folding mirrors
- Rear climate control panel
- Reverse tilting mirrors
- Heated rear seats
- CD player
- Rain sensing wipers
I have no idea why these things are exclusive to Canada. Especially ventilated seats. So bizarre. But I'm glad they're available here. My kids will be thankful for the heated rear seats, and I have rain sensing wipers on my BMW X3 and I love them - especially here on the Wet Coast.

But seriously, what is the point of CD players nowadays?

· Administrator
24,366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
But seriously, what is the point of CD players nowadays?
Some people have such good hearing they can actually discern the difference in sound quality between a CD and a high-quality compressed audio file even over the incredibly high noise floor of metal box rolling over compacted gravel at 75 MPH.

Others have such vast collections of CD media (thousands to tens of thousands of discs) that is impractical to convert them all to a lossless format within an acceptable amount of time.

For everyone else, CD players are obsolete and have been for years.

· Registered
544 Posts
Some people have such good hearing they can actually discern the difference in sound quality between a CD and a high-quality compressed audio file even over the incredibly high noise floor of metal box rolling over compacted gravel at 75 MPH.

Others have such vast collections of CD media (thousands to tens of thousands of discs) that is impractical to convert them all to a lossless format within an acceptable amount of time.

For everyone else, CD players are obsolete and have been for years.
Most people don't realize their 16-bit 44.1khz CD is compressed also - 24-bit 192khz master recording has been the norm for many years. Audio has come a long way in the last 30 years

· Registered
544 Posts
The following features are unique to the Canadian Ridgeline.

- Heated windshield
- Ventilated front seats
- Power folding mirrors
- Rear climate control panel
- Reverse tilting mirrors
- Heated rear seats
- CD player
- Rain sensing wipers

It seems odd that Honda would have essentially 12 trim levels and none of these features would seem to change crash ratings or safety differences between the two countries. The assembly line workers in Alabama must be having a good laugh (or shaking their heads) at the decision to only give Canada ventilated seats. At some point I would think the added manufacturing complexity would cancel out the few dollars they save on rain sensors.

· Registered
4 Posts
Greetings:

I checked the Canadian site and although there is no official Ridgeline info, there is a link that shows what's standard/available on the Canadian versions.

Of the five trim levels (LX, Sport, EX-L, Touring, BE) they all get front/rear splash guards as standard.

Also, the Sport on up are available with sliding rear window and moonroof whereas we only get those features on the RTL-E & BE.

I stopped by my local Honda dealer last week just to see the truck in person. They had an RTL in gray or blue - it was parked in their garage. Anyway, it was nice - plenty of room for me up front but with the front seat adjusted for me there was very little leg room behind it. The door opening was tight but not a real problem.

What really shocked me was the shallow bed - it really couldn't hold much in my opinion. I have a 2014 F-150 King Ranch which is no real comparison to the RL. I think I'll stick with my F-150. The RL was a more reasonable size but I'd be concerned that it couldn't handle 15-20" of snow that we frequently get during the Winter here in Central VA. Plus the interior of the F-150 is far more luxurious than the RL and I've got Cooled seats which are really nice on those really hot days.

Maybe in the future Honda will consider making the sliding rear window and moonroof available on at least the RTL and RTL-T.

· Registered
408 Posts
Maybe in the future Honda will consider making the sliding rear window and moonroof available on at least the RTL and RTL-T.
Us Canadians easily get sold on the features and don't mind not having trim package changes for years. :grin: Maybe Honda is teasing Americans for more features in the future to keep your market sales going.

· Registered
309 Posts
Those are some really nice features that would be nice to have in the US! I wonder if they have OEM accessories that are not available in the US also. I know for the G1 they have Weathertec Floor Mats available with the RL logo available in Canada but not in the US.

1 - 20 of 143 Posts