Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another article from the Honda Service News, courtesy of csimo.

NOTE: This article applies to all Honda models with a factory- or dealer-installed CD/DVD layer or changer. We can’t emphasize this enough: [FONT=ITCGaramondSWA,Italic]Never put adhesive labels or protective disc covers on recordable CDs or DVDs to be used in automotive CD/DVD players or changers. Here’s why: [/FONT]
• Recordable CDs and DVDs are actually thicker than their pre-recorded brethern. Automotive players and changers use rollers to draw the disc into the unit. The added thickness of an adhesive label or a protective disc cover can cause the disc to jam when it’s loaded into or ejected from the unit.
• CD/DVD players or changers are exposed to high temperatures inside the vehicle. High temperature can cause the label adhesive to soften. This can cause the label to curl on the edges and even form bubbles. Curled edges can catch on the rollers and bubbles add thickness to the disc. Either one can cause the disc to jam.
To cut down on customer-caused damage, all ’05 and later O/Ms include this notice:
[FONT=ITCGaramondSWA,Italic]Do not use CDs with adhesive labels. The label can curl up and cause the CD to jam in the unit.[/FONT]
Anytime a service customer comes in with a loading or ejecting problem for a CD/DVD player
or changer, ask if he or she used any discs with adhesive labels or protective disc covers. If the
answer is yes, contact your DPSM for possible goodwill assistance. If the answer is no, then
replace the audio unit under normal warranty.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Need a solution to not having labels on your CD's? white face CD's are available (usually in bulk of 10, 20, 25, 50, 100). Most printer manufacturers now have CD printers (I've got an Epson at work for this).

As with most CD & DVD materials, there are good and bad brands. I've had great luck w/ Verbatim DVD materials.

If you are buying bulk, check out http://www.taperesources.com great people, amazing service, and good prices.

I've seen first-hand what labels can do to slot load CD & DVD player (Mac's have had slot load optical drives for a long time, now). Trust me, you want to heed this warning from Honda!

-ridgeln

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There are also LightScribe CD's that can be labeled in a LightScribe compatable CD burner. You just turn them over and laser the label with the appropriate software.

L

·
0 Posts
At C.D.C. Graphics, we use the printable CD's and DVD's for everything. The paper labels went in the trash. Like Ridgeln..we us the Epson Stylus PHOTO 200. It does a great job and we never worry about our customers calling back and telling us it got stuck in their DVD player.
A little bit of money to save piece of mind.
When I was a SA, I had MANY customers in that had one stuck. The Service Department can NOT warranty this issue because Honda has issued warnings. They have to charge you to take the player out and the time to remove the disc. IF they can't get it out, they have to send it to Honda and they take it apart and put it back together and if you are lucky you don't have top buy a new one but chances are if the tech can't get it our, you will buy a new player. ON YOU.
Heed the warnings. Buy the printable discs and write on them.:)

·
Registered
363 Posts
No offense intended to you whatsoever Webwader, but this is pretty much a "no sh*t" issue. Anything added to an object that spins that fast is going to cause issues. Of course, I learned this the hard way. I used to DJ, and I used stick-on labels on all of my CDs. Needless to say, after time, my CDs started having issues with playback.

I am happy that there are now printable CDs/DVDs as well as lightscribe DVDs as the other solution of writing the information on the disc with a Sharpie just doesn't cut it.

As I stated before, I hope my response doesn't offend you personally Webwader. The comment I made was not directed towards you individually, rather the subject of people putting labels on CDs/DVDs.

Webwader said:
Another article from the Honda Service News, courtesy of csimo.

NOTE: This article applies to all Honda models with a factory- or dealer-installed CD/DVD layer or changer. We can’t emphasize this enough: [FONT=ITCGaramondSWA,Italic]Never put adhesive labels or protective disc covers on recordable CDs or DVDs to be used in automotive CD/DVD players or changers. Here’s why: [/FONT]
• Recordable CDs and DVDs are actually thicker than their pre-recorded brethern. Automotive players and changers use rollers to draw the disc into the unit. The added thickness of an adhesive label or a protective disc cover can cause the disc to jam when it’s loaded into or ejected from the unit.
• CD/DVD players or changers are exposed to high temperatures inside the vehicle. High temperature can cause the label adhesive to soften. This can cause the label to curl on the edges and even form bubbles. Curled edges can catch on the rollers and bubbles add thickness to the disc. Either one can cause the disc to jam.
To cut down on customer-caused damage, all ’05 and later O/Ms include this notice:
[FONT=ITCGaramondSWA,Italic]Do not use CDs with adhesive labels. The label can curl up and cause the CD to jam in the unit.[/FONT]
Anytime a service customer comes in with a loading or ejecting problem for a CD/DVD player
or changer, ask if he or she used any discs with adhesive labels or protective disc covers. If the
answer is yes, contact your DPSM for possible goodwill assistance. If the answer is no, then
replace the audio unit under normal warranty.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No offense intended to you whatsoever Webwader, but this is pretty much a "no sh*t" issue.
If you will notice WhiteRTNav, I didn't author the article. I am posting articles from the Honda Service News as a service to the members. Don't shoot the messanger.

L

·
0 Posts
Hey Web..I think WhiteRTL was making the statement that people should know this already. I am sure the statement was not meant, as he said, directed toward you buddy. I was a bit concerned by his statement as well until I read the bottom part.

The comment I made was not directed towards you individually, rather the subject of people putting labels on CDs/DVDs.

Knowing the content of WhiteRTL's posts, I am sure it was not a direct attack to you. :)

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Of course, I learned this the hard way.
The article as written by Honda Service News, may just halp someone avoid learning the way you did, so I don't understand why you felt it was a "no sh*t" issue for everyone else. :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Are crayon labels bad for my in dash coaster holder? :D

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are crayon labels bad for my in dash coaster holder?
Are the crayons still attached? :D

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
No I use the crayon sharpener on the dash under those cool covers then stick them in the wine bottle holder.

·
Registered
876 Posts
At the risk of sounding like a dunce, I'm curious -- I've always just written with a Sharpie marker the artist/CD information on the top of each CD I've burned. Is there anything bad about this practice?

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
UglyTruckling said:
At the risk of sounding like a dunce, I'm curious -- I've always just written with a Sharpie marker the artist/CD information on the top of each CD I've burned. Is there anything bad about this practice?
No problems with this methology.

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
mayfielh said:
No I use the crayon sharpener on the dash under those cool covers then stick them in the wine bottle holder.
I thought those crayon sharpeners were wine bottle openers! They don't seem to grab the cork to well, so I just give the bottle a good whack and the wine is free flowin!

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
RidgeOwner3 said:
I thought those crayon sharpeners were wine bottle openers! They don't seem to grab the cork to well, so I just give the bottle a good whack and the wine is free flowin!
They work better for beer bottles.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I just discovered last weekend that the console cup holders are just the right size for holding a 750 ml wine bottle. Maybe this should be posted in the 'things you may not have noticed' thread? :)

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
You should probably use the wine bottle holder in the back.

For reference this is the plastic wedge that the rear seat clips into.

Attachments

·
Banned
1,577 Posts
dbb said:
I just discovered last weekend that the console cup holders are just the right size for holding a 750 ml wine bottle. Maybe this should be posted in the 'things you may not have noticed' thread? :)
And if you take the armrest off the center console, the tray serves well for cheese and crackers!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
About this Discussion
53 Replies
27 Participants
join1982
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums
Honda Ridgeline Owners Club, forum community to discuss reviews, accessories, performance, care, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing