Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

my 06 Ridgeline has around 325k miles and the engine check light comes on and off from time to time due to exhaust valves needing to be adjusted.
It starts and idles slights rough when cold but drives fine and mpg is about the same as when it was new.
so the question is... how long can I drive like this without valve adjustment before the engine stops starting or running?
It has new water pump/timing belt/spark plugs. New snow tires for snow trips.
but the car looks like it has 325k mi on it with dents primer sprayed here and there. It’s probably worth 1k if I were to sell it. I had to get the timing belt done as I didn’t want to get stuck while in the mountains.
this is my snow trip only car and I want to limit my spending on it due to low value

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,009 Posts
Experience from here and Piloteers.org tell me that the valves get "tight" and tight valves are not noisy.

Amazing that you've made it this far without doing them, but if you only value it at 1k, I wouldn't waste the money, OTOH, it would be an "invaluable" test case to "learn" to DIY them. Front 3 should be easier, than rear 3, posts here and YouTube Videos on "How To"...

YMMV

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I'm just a couple thousand miles ahead of you and my CEL is also coming on sporadically. I'm planning to take it in for timing belt etc and I'm going to ask what codes etc are happening. Not the expert, but my hunch is we both have emissions issues. I'll update with what I learn.

·
Registered
67 Posts
To adjust valves or not.
The thing is, if a valve gets tight enough it will damage the head & you'll know it, but you won't hear it. They HAVE to be inspected. All the guessing & internet searching can't tell you if it's needed.
Saying that, I have done several V-6 valve adjustments, & unlike the 4 cyl, I have never found a valve dangerously tight. Same with the T-belts. The V-6s seem to last longer.
I am not familiar with the newer engines as I quit working on them a few years ago.
I'd recommend having the valve adjustment done when due.

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
22,882 Posts
Hard to tell with that high mileage. Chances are the exhaust valves are very tight.... and I suspect you run the risk of a burnt valve or three. But whether or not it's worth getting them adjusted is up to you and how long you want to keep the Ridge running.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts