Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2021 WBE
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry all for another over-sized AT thread, but wanted to get some opinions on my choices for an over-sized AT setup for m '19 RTL-E. Narrowed it down to the following three options:

1. 245/70R17 KO2s + KMC 708 Bully. Total weight around 70# (23.4 for KMC, 47.2 for KO2s)
2. 265/60R18 Cooper Discoverers + stock rims. Total weight around 67# (Cooper Disc. ~39# around 28# for stock rim from what I've read?)
3. 245/70R17 Cooper Discoverers + the KMC rims. Total weight basically stock @ 59# (Cooper Disc ~36#)

I know the K02s are overkill for the RL, but from what I've read at least they're sort of the "king" of AT tires. I know the negatives that come with bigger/heavier tires, but I'm hoping that the 10# increase isn't too insane (vs the 20# increase with a 265/60/18 on stock rim). I don't have a daily commute, so I've really just been using my RL for road trips and camping. Hoping to do a big national parks/BLM/National Forest trip throughout the southwest and up into the northwest later this year. I know that the RL will never be a rock-crawler (I wouldn't really want to anyways) but between AWD system, the full underbody kit from @Venphic and some good ATs I'd be pretty confident wherever I went.

TIA.

Links:
KMC Wheels: KO2s: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...Model=All-Terrain+T/A+KO2&partnum=47SR7KO2RWL
Cooper Disc 17": https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire... White Letters&partnum=47TR7DA4SOWL&tab=Specs
Cooper Disc 18":

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
How serious are you about off-road travel? If you just want to tackle National Forest graveled or native surface roads and occasional two-track routes over moderate terrain, I think the KO2s are overkill and exact too many compromises from the RL. But if you really want to challenge the truck with jeep trails (high-clearance 4X4 routes) and roads strewn with angular rock, the KO2s would lower your risk of getting stranded with blown tires.

The Coopers on 17" wheels will give you a bit more sidewall to cushion the blows and avoid wheel scrapes, but you will probably notice the reduced cornering stability and some loss of the RL's superb handling characteristics. Keeping stock weight will help avoid extra stress on the suspension and powertrain, as well as minimize the mpg penalties of taller tires. If you only need moderate off-road capabilities, option 3 would get my vote.

·
Registered
2021 WBE
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How serious are you about off-road travel? If you just want to tackle National Forest graveled or native surface roads and occasional two-track routes over moderate terrain, I think the KO2s are overkill and exact too many compromises from the RL. But if you really want to challenge the truck with jeep trails (high-clearance 4X4 routes) and roads strewn with angular rock, the KO2s would lower your risk of getting stranded with blown tires.
I live in HOU, so I see a ton of trucks outfitted to the max that will never see more than a compacted gravel road. I think the RL stock can handle most areas in national parks/some NFS. Two years ago I took the RL stock into some BLM land in eastern NM. It did fine on the two-tracks, but it was a bit hairy once the trail got a bit rutted. I agree that the KO2s would definitely be overkill, but I'm trying to weigh the fact that I wouldn't really have to deal with the negatives all that much as I don't really have a "daily drive".

I'm split between 1 and 3, as I think staying at stock weight with option 3 but gaining all of that sidewall would be a great option as well.

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Yup! Just purchased the Veepeak BT scanner!
Awesome......keep the forum informed of what numbers/temp ranges you see, and by all means post pics of your mounted tire/wheel combo. 👌

·
Registered
2021 WBE
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doing a bit more research, a few other options that I'm considering:
4. 245/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks are 39.9#, so with the KMC wheels ~65# total
5. 245/70/17 Toyo Open Country AT 3 are 35#, so with KMC wheels ~61# total

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.