Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I checked other posts but couldn't find what I was looking for so hopefully a new post will help me out, as I'm not a mechanic
Recently had P0420, P0430 codes and decided to have my mechanic replace all 3 cats. Had to get it back to him after a day because there is obviously, very loudly, an exhaust leak. He knew it was a gasket. I'm concerned he tried to reuse the old ones and/or never got new ones for the job. Now, weeks later he has been trying to find correct gaskets...The dealer told him he needed this O-shaped gasket (#8 in drawing), that maybe it was an aftermarket cat to begin with and maybe it doesn't need it or it is different. . . and he (my mechanic) is telling me that my exhaust does not require this type, instead he purchased and is planning on only replacing the triangular shaped one (not shown in drawing but goes where the pipes meet near where the O-gasket does), along with the gasket coming out of the engine (#2 in drawing). Has anyone replaced these parts or can anyone verify that I may or may not need this O-shaped gasket? I asked him to please get the O-gaskets just in case we need them but he insists it is not required. He is going to work on it tomorrow...
'07 RTX

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
So, if your mechanic replaced all three catalytic converters, then you would have needed
  • 2 Qty of 18212-SA7-003 - the O-gasket (illustration #8)
  • 2 Qty of 18115-RCA-A01 - the oval gasket that goes on the cyl head (illustration #2)
  • 1 Qty of 18302-SP0-003 (illustration # 12)
  • 1 Qty of 18393-SDB-A00 (illustration #14)

I would say let him, or you, order the above parts, see the correct position of those in the FSM and their corresponding torque value on the bolts and call it a day.
Your guess is my guess, all three cats were changed, but the debate is over only one gasket, when there should have been 4 different ones, technically. You can buy the gaskets and he can install them, if not find a different shop who can do it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for confirming. I agree, I dont see any other way than what is shown in the drawing. l may just end up trying to do it myself if I can't convince this guy .

Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
Thanks for confirming. I agree, I dont see any other way than what is shown in the drawing. l may just end up trying to do it myself if I can't convince this guy .
It is just sad that you have to deal with a mechanic who, despite your advice, is stuck in their ways. One of the main reasons why I am very hesitant to give my truck to anyone. Just be positive that this mechanic did replace all and since he had to remove all the nuts and bolts, you could find yourself at ease in removing them again. Wont hurt to replace with fresh OEM bolts.

Registered

If he used aftermarket cats...they may require the aftermarket gasket(right side) you have pictured next to the napa receipt.

If they are factory cats, they take the factory honda gaskets and more then likely will not seal with the aftermarket gaskets. The factory gaskets #8 sit inside of #7. When you tighten down the studs/nuts...it squishes the gasket #8 and then smooshes against the inside of the cat flange.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, he did use the aftermarket cats and gaskets. He must not have done it right the first time, he told me it was a different bolt kit as well. Problem solved, thanks y'all, for your advice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts