Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hoping someone else has run into this, I can't think I'm the only one.

So I bought brand new Honda Side Steps for my Ridgeline 1 week after I got it...actually it was part of the package when I signed the papers. Black finish steps, really nice.

Had them 1 1/2 years and the paint is peeling on them...like even with the hose on low pressure when I'm washing it. American Honda won't back it and offer a replacement or a fix, which is rotten.

So...I need to get something on these so they don't pit out with the winter salt/chemicals.

Local dealer quoted me $300 to $400 to paint them with a liner-like material. At that I'm about $200 shy of brand new boards.

Any suggestions for a possible DIY fix? I think Plasti-Dip is out since it would likely peel and not stand up to the elements/conditions.

Before I do anything they need to be sand-blasted.

I'm all ears if anyone can offer some sage advice :)

· Premium Member
2018 RTL-E White/Tan
2,329 Posts
I like the bed-liner idea.

I'd use a chemical stripper to get all the paint off, wash them, wipe them down with a solvent to remove any residue or finger prints and then paint them yourself with a DIY bed-liner in a can kit (either aerosol or the kit with a textured roller).

It should't cost over $100 and ought to last a few years at least before needing any touch-up.

· Registered
2021 Honda Ridgeline EX-L Canadian
1,603 Posts
I'm hoping someone else has run into this, I can't think I'm the only one.

So I bought brand new Honda Side Steps for my Ridgeline 1 week after I got it...actually it was part of the package when I signed the papers. Black finish steps, really nice.

Had them 1 1/2 years and the paint is peeling on them...like even with the hose on low pressure when I'm washing it. American Honda won't back it and offer a replacement or a fix, which is rotten.

So...I need to get something on these so they don't pit out with the winter salt/chemicals.

Local dealer quoted me $300 to $400 to paint them with a liner-like material. At that I'm about $200 shy of brand new boards.

Any suggestions for a possible DIY fix? I think Plasti-Dip is out since it would likely peel and not stand up to the elements/conditions.

Before I do anything they need to be sand-blasted.

I'm all ears if anyone can offer some sage advice :)
I thought all Honda dealer installed accessories had a 3-year warranty on them? Pretty sure they do in Canada.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Unless you just don't like the look of the platforms, I'd suggest you get those (OEM Accessories running boards). They are rubber coated, so shouldn't be as vulnerable as the painted or plated variety. I like 'em.

· Registered
2,726 Posts

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree...1 1/2 years is complete garbage! The local "Honda Rep" looked at it and said since it was a used Honda, it only had a 1 year warranty on it. The vehicle was a 1 year old, CPO Ridgeline (9600 miles).

Thanks for all the good advice though. I'm tempted to hit the flaked spots with Plasti-Dip to cover it for the next month, and then once it warms up have them blasted and I'll paint them myself.

· Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey ElkHunter - how long does Plasti-Dip last for you?

Knowing the paint job they did on these isn't going to last, I wonder if I should Plasti-Dip the whole thing? Do both side steps and just get-r-done now.

· Registered
5,700 Posts
Hey ElkHunter - how long does Plasti-Dip last for you?

Knowing the paint job they did on these isn't going to last, I wonder if I should Plasti-Dip the whole thing? Do both side steps and just get-r-done now.

I'm no plasi-dip expert, but I sure wouldn't be putting it anywhere that it's going to be getting stepped on. Just my opinion.

· Registered
2,726 Posts
I painted my side steps in May 2012 and they still look liked they did after I painted them. These get stepped on and are subject to mild off-roading (dirt road driving). Like I said if they ever start to look a little shabby, my plan would be to spray them again - it's just a 10 minute job.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.