Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

Advice on buying used 2017 Black Edition

10K views 45 replies 37 participants last post by  sanders446 
#1 ·
Hi All,
I'm new here, first post. I am considering buying a used 2017 Black Edition from a used car dealer. I've been searching around and used ones are really hard to find. Its for sale in Fredericksburg, VA. Since this is my first post I can't add the link.

The list price is $30,000 with 27k miles. The pics look ok but the carfax report shows it's been in an accident. No other details other than:

Accident reported
  • Involving front impact
  • Involving rear impact with another motor vehicle
  • Damage to left side
  • Damage to left front
  • Damage to right rear

Just wanted some input on whether its a good price considering the accident. Should I ask for a lower price because of the accident? Should I not even consider it? Should I be worried that I won't be able to sell it (several years from now obviously) or take a big hit on the price because of it?

Anyways, thanks for reading

See less See more
#3 ·
I'd be wearly because of all the points of impact. Obviously hard to say without seeing photos or knowing what had to be repaired.

I know there are some 19s left over still, if there are any local to you, you'd probably get a really good deal on a 19. Unless you have your heart set on the E trim. Plenty of sports still left and a few RTLs that I've seen at least locally to me.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

#5 ·
The truck is potentially 3 1/2 years old with a whole lot of impacts. 30,000 sound incredibly high considering they say a car drops its value 8000 the minute you drive it off the lot.
I traded my 2017 in and the dealer knocked down the price because of carfax. Mind you I was in a parking lot, low speed, had to have the bumper replaced for cosmetic reasons only. But it happened about a month after I bought it, and there was no way, the kid that hit me wasnt going to not bring it back to pristine condition.

Bottom line. The dealer who bought your car paid a whole lot less for it.

#6 ·
That's not a bad price for the 2017 BE. Personally, I would keep looking. I was in the exact same situation a few months back when I was looking at an RTL-E. The vehicle looked pretty good cosmetically, but since it had damage to the passenger side and rear of the vehicle, I passed.

You might find a 2017 that is in good enough shape that a Honda dealer would be willing to make it a "Honda Certified Used" vehicle. My Honda dealer would not offer that on the one I was looking at because of the accident.

#8 ·
Too much repaired (unknown) damage & too high a price.

Look some more, find a better deal, and or save some money ? and buy something new or certified instead of just purchasing someone else’s problems. There’s a reason it’s sitting on a car lot.

There are better Ridgelines and better deals out there.

#9 ·
Keep looking. In Apr 2019 I almost bought a 17 BE in SC that was in an accident and had 52k miles on it for 32k+tax/tag. Waited until right after Christmas and snagged a clean carfax 17 BE with 32k miles for 29k out the door. It also came with tons of accessories where the SC one had nothing. Just be patient. It's difficult I know. I looked for a 17 BE for over a year until I got mine.

#14 ·
Good luck with your search. I personally would try to find a nice one that is less than 3 yrs old from in service date and less than 36k. That way you have the option to buy a Honda Care service contract. up to 5 years or 120k. Or a Certified Pre Owned from the dealer, CPO. Which will give nice coverage as well. When I bought my 17 I hired a "driver" limo service to get exactly what I wanted. 3hr drive. It was so worth it.

#15 ·
Hi All,
I'm new here, first post. I am considering buying a used 2017 Black Edition from a used car dealer. I've been searching around and used ones are really hard to find. Its for sale in Fredericksburg, VA. Since this is my first post I can't add the link.

The list price is $30,000 with 27k miles. The pics look ok but the carfax report shows it's been in an accident. No other details other than:

Accident reported
  • Involving front impact
  • Damage to left side
  • Damage to left front
  • Damage to right rear
Just wanted some input on whether its a good price considering the accident. Should I ask for a lower price because of the accident? Should I not even consider it? Should I be worried that I won't be able to sell it (several years from now obviously) or take a big hit on the price because of it?

Avoid like the coronavirus.

Few thou more you can get a good used one that's not been in accidents.

#16 ·
You've already taken the advice here. One more thing to consider, find a used one from a Honda dealer that is a certified Honda vehicle because that automatically includes an extended warranty. I bought my 17 BE about 18 months ago, with higher than average miles. It's been a great truck overall, but I have had my injectors replaced and the transaxle flushed and reprogrammed under warranty. These both appear to be Honda problems and not specific to my truck due to prior usage. But that extended warranty sure was nice.

#20 ·
Hi All,

Accident reported
  • Involving front impact
  • Damage to left side
  • Damage to left front
  • Damage to right rear

I have a 17BE.
Just walk. You don't need someone's collision repair.

The 17BE is fine.
You will find another.
Got mine from a Cadillac dealer.

Runs great but only a 6speed trans.
I get 19mpg city driving lead foot daily.

Be patient and you will be happier in the future....

#23 ·
Hi All,

Accident reported
  • Involving front impact
  • Damage to left side
  • Damage to left front
  • Damage to right rear

I would not go there...damage to front, side, and rear...too much for my comfort level. Good luck.

#24 ·
I live in Bloomington IN and went up to the Honda dealer I've been dealing with for years. I traded my 2017 Honda Accord Touring car for a 2017 Ridgeline Black Edition. I paid a more for mine, but it had a clear Carfax and 21,000 miles. All the service records. It was a turned in lease. The truck was in mint condition with all the Honda OEM bling. Bed cover, side boards and roof rack. I just saw one at a local dealer on the lot. The Black Edition are very rare where I live. I was surprised to see one. The dealer is called Blends. It was there last week. You may want to look them up and see what they say. Might be worth the drive.

#27 ·
Hi All,

Accident reported
  • Involving front impact
  • Damage to left side
  • Damage to left front
  • Damage to right rear

We just purchased a 2018 RTLT for 28K. It also had a front left accident reported. We love the Ridgeline, this is our second, and the technology in this one is fantastic. But the front left accident did have some affect on the technology because of the radar which had to be realigned. Someone also didn’t plug-in the hood latch which made a number of the functions not work until we figured it out. By the way, the repair job was not the highest quality so it may have had more impact, pun not intended, then a good repair would have had. Just be aware that the technology can be affected.

#28 ·
Hi All,

Accident reported
  • Involving front impact
  • Damage to left side
  • Damage to left front
  • Damage to right rear

I am in the Los Angeles area, and just bought a 2019 Ridgeline Sport AWD that had a sticker price of 36345, and got it for 30631, plus TTL. They had an alarm that they installed, so I took that, and walked away with the truck for 36000 OTD. It was a great price. AWD are hard to find, lots of FWD out there. They are not giving deals on 2020 models. Most dealerships only keep 1 or 2 on the lot.

I would not buy someone else's mess. Find one with a clean carfax orauto check, or get a new one from 2019.

#29 ·
Good to see you have taken a pass on a vehicle that was damaged on every side. Either that was one hell of an accident or the driver was just plain bad. I would think that the number of cars with damage on the front, rear, left, and right is close to zero. In my opinion there is no way all that damage isn't going to surface as issues in the near future, that is just too many areas of repair to not cause problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.