Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll use this post as both an introduction and a question. I've been conducting research (I think you call it "lurking") for about 2 weeks now, so I decided to finally get involved.

I will be finishing my 1-year deployment to Iraq in January, and I have decided that I want a Ridgeline waiting for me when I get home. I'm pretty far along in my research (thanks largely to you guys), but I'm still undecided on a few things. I know that I will be getting the blue RTL with Nav. And (I'll probably lose half of you now) I also know that I will be leasing. I'm not interested in stirring up the dabate on the merits of leasing vs. buying. But because I'm going to lease, I'm particularly interested in getting the options just right. So I'm looking for advice.

I'm sure I DO want the following options: rearview camera, rear underseat storage system, auto day/night mirror with compass, cargo net-bed, towing package, back up sensors, body side protectors, rear splash guards, fog lights, in-bed trunk cargo net, in-bed trunk carpet.

I'm sure I DON'T want the following options: rear underseat cargo tray, kayak attachment, luggage basket, motorcycle wheel guide, roof box, ski attachment, snowboard attachment, surfboard attachment, trailer hitch mounted bike attachment, full nose mask, fender flares, gold emblems, hood air deflector, in-bed trunk dividers, moonroof visor, tail light garnish.

I'm UNDECIDED about the following options: DVD, dark floor carpets (how dark are they?), interior trim-metallic (my tastes are pretty conservative - is this "classy" or "flashy?"), 17" aluminum alloy chrome-look wheels (ditto), bed extender, locking hard tonneau cover, roof rack, front grille, front lower trim-brush guard style, door visors, front and rear chrome bumper trim, running boards, side steps.

I realize these are largely a matter of personal taste, and ofter depend on how one uses one's truck. But I am interested in any solid pros or cons from people who have had these options, or wish they had gotten them. I am particularly interested in opinions on running boards and side steps.

I apologize for the length of this post, and thank you all in advance for your input!

L

·
0 Posts
Welcome to the ROC Dave and let me start by thanking you.

Second...you didn't lose me..almost...but not quite. Blue??:confused: ;)

Third....I can't help you with leasing because I purchased my Ridgena. I know some have done so and very successfully I might add. Stick a round for a few minutes. On the ROC, it doesn't take long to get an answer. But you already know that you cute little lurker. :D
Thanks for being here AND there!! :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
Hi DobroDave, thanks for joining us! Glad to hear you'll be coming home soon.

I think you've made an excellent choice -- steel blue RTL with Navi -- just like me! :D

In answer to your questions... here's my opinion :)

DVD -- didn't personally see any reason to get this... not sure it plays while you're driving (dangerous!) but then again how much will you be sitting around watching movies in your truck?

dark floor carpets (how dark are they?) -- dark enough, they go well with the interior (they're a medium gray; they only call them "dark" to distinguish them from the light ones that go in the trucks with beige or olive interior, I think) -- you only get rubber mats in the truck, so if you want it to feel more car-like, I'd definitely go for these (but you might get a better pricing deal from H&A). I have my rubber mats on top of my carpets, cuz I'm a freak...

interior trim-metallic (my tastes are pretty conservative - is this "classy" or "flashy?") -- I think it's classy, I have it... I think it integrates the big silver door handles nicely (which otherwise I think stand out). I especially like the door pieces, which really pull it all together.

17" aluminum alloy chrome-look wheels (ditto) -- I opted not to get these; I decided Honda's idea of "chrome" looked cheap, and I didn't like the rim style. But it's a personal preference thing. ;)

bed extender -- got it, happy to have it, although I haven't used it once yet!

locking hard tonneau cover -- don't have it, I hear some people have problems with the OEM one leaking/not keeping water out -- would be nice to have if you live someplace snowy and you don't keep the truck in a garage.

roof rack -- have it, like it, although mostly for looks -- I haven't had any use for it yet, but I think it completes the look of the truck (along with the running boards)

front grille -- didn't get it but was tempted...

front lower trim-brush guard style -- didn't get it, not tempted...

door visors -- SO didn't want them, so we didn't get them...

front and rear chrome bumper trim -- didn't get it -- might want to ask that classy vs. flashy question again here... :D

running boards -- got them, love them -- good for helping short people to get in and out of the truck, completes the look, and the black looks great with the steel blue.

side steps -- I think these were recalled for problems -- don't know if they're back on the market yet. I preferred the look of the running boards.

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flymuck, thanks for the prompt and detailed answers. By the way - great tagline. I think I've seen it before, but on techie forums...

Ladyridge, thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hello & Welcome! WOW, you certainly seem to have done alot of homework in the research department! I hope this will help you, but first off, I want to thank you for doing what you are doing over there. Your efforts are greatly appreciated! I wuold recommend reading Edmonds artice on leasing & putting the deal together, I learned alot of my lease info there. http://www.edmunds.com/advice/leasi...html?tid=edmunds.a.advicelanding.leasing..1.*
When I leased my Ridge, I negotiated using a money factor of .00055 & a residual value of 58% for a 36 month lease, the actual residual dollar cost of the vehicle will vary based on your chosen options & lease length. There are alot of helpful folks here that can chime in on their experiences with these #'s. I have seen a few helpful threads posted about leasing. As far as the options, like LADYRIDGE said, it's all personal good taste! Come home safe, we look forward to hearing about all your experiences!

P.S. Give the Silver another look:D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Hey Dave,

Congrats on your vehicle choice and thanks for serving. Stay safe my fellow Ridgeline owner and American!!!

I see where flymuck went thru your list real well. I did lease (well my company did) and we added on the tow package. My thinking is to add on those items to the lease that will be attached to the truck. Anything that can be removed, buy online (like from H and A) cheaper and plan on removing them and selling on e-bay at the end of the lease or using on your next Ridgeline if it still fits.

I went for a portable DVD system so I could move it between my Ridgeline and my wife's Pilot depending on what vehicle we are using on a trip. We will use the Pilot for vacation type trips and the Ridgeline for camping trips so I wanted the ability to do both. We only use it though on extended trips, not just running around the city, for the kids.

I did buy the underseat cargo tray and the in trunk cargo net (it does require installation of 2 anchors). I also plan on getting a bed mat and some type of bed cover. Right now I am leaning toward the Retrax since it requires no drilling. I would like to see somebody make a 3 piece cover more like the Avalanche uses so I might wait out the winter and see.

Hope this helps a little.

L

·
0 Posts
Dave..you're welcome.
AND..you're going to get hit with all kinds of opinions and advice. Take them all with a grain of salt if they don't encourage you to get "primer" colored. :D
Anyway...

DVD - didn't get it. YET!!
Dark floor carpets- didn't get them.
Interior trim-metallic- thinking about this one. MHO..Classy.
17" aluminum alloy chrome-look wheels-I like the alloy
Bed extender-Got it, love it, can't live without it
Locking hard tonneau cover-still waiting for the waterproof one
Roof rack- Got it, love it.
Front grille-www.cloudrider.com I have 2 sets. Chrome and Black.
Front lower trim-brush guard style- Getting in April
Door visors-Todd doesn't like them. :(
Front and rear chrome bumper trim- want them..Todd doesn't. :(
Running boards-Got them...love them.

·
Premium Member
5,392 Posts
Thanks for your service and sacrifice. I'm glad you found the ROC and I hope we can help you make your last bit of time over there pass quickly.

Congrats on choosing the best color and getting the NAV. You are going to love it. I don't know why you want the auto day/night mirror with compass, but that's something I think you can pass on. The NAV has a compass amongst many other cool features. I am a huge and raving advocate of the backup camera.

We have the rear underseat storage system and like it very much. However, it was essential to my design of the doggie deck, so we really needed it for more than just storage.

We went with running boards instead of the side rails because of their design and color. We like the black accents with the BLUE.

On your undecided list, we think the roof rack frames the truck and finishes the look. We like the window visors for the ability to leave the windows cracked open in bad weather without getting the interior wet.

You haven't said if you will be doing any of these installs. I have no idea about the ramifications for leasing and adding all these things. My final bit of advice would be to pick you most desired accessories and get them. Drive your truck for a while and put some more on later. It's fun to keep adding things and not have it done.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have the roof rack, trailer hitch and bed extender. I consider this package (lifestyles I think it is called) to be sort of essential for my type of usage of a vehicle. You may want to look into this package. I got 20% off the package when I purchased, but I am sure it can be negotiated down, I was just a wimp the day I went to sign for my truck, a little star struck I think.

If I were to buy again today, I would definitely order the backup cam and I would have the 3m stuff put on front. I am still trying to get all the bug guts off my hood from this summer, after 5 washes they are almost all gone. Red seems to hide bug guts too well when wet.

Other than that it is really up to how you use your truck.

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts
DobroDave said:
I'll use this post as both an introduction and a question. I've been conducting research (I think you call it "lurking") for about 2 weeks now, so I decided to finally get involved.

I will be finishing my 1-year deployment to Iraq in January, and I have decided that I want a Ridgeline waiting for me when I get home. I'm pretty far along in my research (thanks largely to you guys), but I'm still undecided on a few things. I know that I will be getting the blue RTL with Nav. And (I'll probably lose half of you now) I also know that I will be leasing. I'm not interested in stirring up the dabate on the merits of leasing vs. buying. But because I'm going to lease, I'm particularly interested in getting the options just right. So I'm looking for advice.

I'm sure I DO want the following options: rearview camera, rear underseat storage system, auto day/night mirror with compass, cargo net-bed, towing package, back up sensors, body side protectors, rear splash guards, fog lights, in-bed trunk cargo net, in-bed trunk carpet.

I'm sure I DON'T want the following options: rear underseat cargo tray, kayak attachment, luggage basket, motorcycle wheel guide, roof box, ski attachment, snowboard attachment, surfboard attachment, trailer hitch mounted bike attachment, full nose mask, fender flares, gold emblems, hood air deflector, in-bed trunk dividers, moonroof visor, tail light garnish.

I'm UNDECIDED about the following options: DVD, dark floor carpets (how dark are they?), interior trim-metallic (my tastes are pretty conservative - is this "classy" or "flashy?"), 17" aluminum alloy chrome-look wheels (ditto), bed extender, locking hard tonneau cover, roof rack, front grille, front lower trim-brush guard style, door visors, front and rear chrome bumper trim, running boards, side steps.

I realize these are largely a matter of personal taste, and ofter depend on how one uses one's truck. But I am interested in any solid pros or cons from people who have had these options, or wish they had gotten them. I am particularly interested in opinions on running boards and side steps.

I apologize for the length of this post, and thank you all in advance for your input!
Hi DobroDave, I would say these choices are all yours to make. We only wish we had bought the RTL with NAVI. I hate leather seats and the RTS isn't offered with a navigation system so we will go aftermarket. Welcome to the club and stay safe over there.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
DobroDave, I am just going to steal flymucks post (he's brilliant - sometimes!) and add my comments.

Flymuck wrote the following:
Hi DobroDave, thanks for joining us! Glad to hear you'll be coming home soon. Amen to that!

I think you've made an excellent choice -- steel blue RTL with Navi -- just like me! :D Not so sure here - flymuck doesn't have much taste in the color of vehicles. Yours has not actually been ordered yet so there is still hope that you can see the light and go with black!

In answer to your questions... here's my opinion :) <--Flymuck + Ultra-HOG

DVD -- didn't personally see any reason to get this... not sure it plays while you're driving (dangerous!) but then again how much will you be sitting around watching movies in your truck? I agree - unless you have kids in the back seat. There are less expensive ways to play DVD's for kids in a vehicle.

dark floor carpets (how dark are they?) -- dark enough, they go well with the interior (they're a medium gray; they only call them "dark" to distinguish them from the light ones that go in the trucks with beige or olive interior, I think) -- you only get rubber mats in the truck, so if you want it to feel more car-like, I'd definitely go for these (but you might get a better pricing deal from H&A). I have my rubber mats on top of my carpets, cuz I'm a freak... again, I agree

interior trim-metallic (my tastes are pretty conservative - is this "classy" or "flashy?") -- I think it's classy, I have it... I think it integrates the big silver door handles nicely (which otherwise I think stand out). I especially like the door pieces, which really pull it all together. I agreed, just a matter of taste.

17" aluminum alloy chrome-look wheels (ditto) -- I opted not to get these; I decided Honda's idea of "chrome" looked cheap, and I didn't like the rim style. But it's a personal preference thing. ;) Hey, what's this about cheap? I like mine a lot. I think they look classy without looking flashy. Again, a matter of taste.

bed extender -- got it, happy to have it, although I haven't used it once yet! This one is up to you. I don't think that I would ever use it.

locking hard tonneau cover -- don't have it, I hear some people have problems with the OEM one leaking/not keeping water out -- would be nice to have if you live someplace snowy and you don't keep the truck in a garage. Lots of reading to do on this subject. My personal choice was for the Retrax which I am very happy with. Everyone's needs and uses are different. All of the tonneau covers have their pros and cons. They are all good, just different. This one is a judgement call that can only be made by you.

roof rack -- have it, like it, although mostly for looks -- I haven't had any use for it yet, but I think it completes the look of the truck (along with the running boards) Another personal choice. Personally, I would rather do without the wind noise every day than add the roof rack for the few times that it would get used. Here in PA, it makes it difficult to remove snow from the roof every time before the truck gets driven when it is snowing. The appearance is another personal preference thing.

front grille -- didn't get it but was tempted... Another personal preference thing. I have it and like it.

front lower trim-brush guard style -- didn't get it, not tempted... I agree

door visors -- SO didn't want them, so we didn't get them... I agree

front and rear chrome bumper trim -- didn't get it -- might want to ask that classy vs. flashy question again here... :D I agree

running boards -- got them, love them -- good for helping short people to get in and out of the truck, completes the look, and the black looks great with the steel blue. I agree

side steps -- I think these were recalled for problems -- don't know if they're back on the market yet. I preferred the look of the running boards. I agree

Good luck! I agree

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Well, I stand corrected! While reading some brilliant poetry on another thread, I discovered that "he" is a "she". :eek:
Flymuck, a thousand pardons, ma'am!

L

·
0 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
Well, I stand corrected! While reading some brilliant poetry on another thread, I discovered that "he" is a "she". :eek:
Surprise Bruce!! :D

·
Registered
333 Posts
DobroDave said:
DobroDave - Welcome to the ROC, and thanks for serving! You've picked a great vehicle to come home to!

I talked myself out of most of the options, as well as going for the base RT without all the gizmos. I'm not necessarily a minimalist, but money was an issue and I'm finding I'm not really missing having any of those things, (except heated mirrors!). Anyway, a few of your 'undecideds' are on my list to figure out as well.

Running boards - I'm on the fence, I would like the extra protection for the lower body, but it's not like the RL is difficult to get in and out of. Seems like it will also reduce effective clearance somewhat.

Roof rack - I'm concerned about the wind noise that others have complained about. I looks okay, but is a bit massive for my taste. I am considering a Yakima system, (which I have had for years on other vehicles and they are great), possibly the rail system. That way, the whole assembly can be taken off. Someone posted a photo of theirs a few weeks back. I need something, as I am a skier, and I don't think my skis will fit in the back, nor would they be secure.

Metal dash trim - I think this is really cool, and I want it! It really fits with the other trim. I have really learned to love my big ol' door handles, your hand always seems to find it, no matter what position you may be in!

Have fun deciding, let us know how you go, and when you get home!

·
Registered
626 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
Pardon accepted, U-HOG. It's an easy mistake to make, as I have a gender-neutral name (at least on the ROC, anyway). The question is, does it make that paycheck joke I had posted more funny, now that you know I'm a chick? ;)

L

·
0 Posts
flymuck said:
Pardon accepted, U-HOG. It's an easy mistake to make, as I have a gender-neutral name (at least on the ROC, anyway). The question is, does it make that paycheck joke I had posted more funny, now that you know I'm a chick? ;)
LOLOL..I am soooo glad you brought that up. LOLOLOL

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I am not sure that I can answer that one gracefully:eek: , but I will try. The answer to your question is no, and yes. Not necessarily in that order. I only commented on several of the jokes that were posted because, out of respect and consideration mostly for ROC members and visitors of the fairer sex, I was concerned that if no one spoke up and voiced an opinion as to where the line should be drawn it could rapidly deteriorate into something that really could be offensive or embarrassing to any member or guest. I am not a prude and I have both heard and told far worse jokes than the ones in question. Going back to that respect and consideration thing, with my opinion of the ROC and its members, I was just uncomfortable and thought that others might be as well. I received several PMs and Emails that voiced agreement with my post. I sincerely hope that I didn't offend you with my response.
Over the past many years, I have owned businesses that primarily had male employees. The typical jokes circulated. My wife works at a bank with almost all women and has for quite a few years. She comes home with some jokes that are far worse than the jokes that guys tell:eek: . She is too embarrassed to tell me the really good ones!;)

Now, what the hell was this thread supposed to be about anyway?:rolleyes:

L

·
0 Posts
Ultra-HOG said:
I am not sure that I can answer that one gracefully:eek: , but I will try. The answer to your question is no, and yes. Not necessarily in that order.

Now, what the hell was this thread supposed to be about anyway?:rolleyes:

Wheeeewwwww....Got out of that one didn't ya Bruce. Nice going buddy. ;)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts