·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You're right . . . there not a lot of info. I wish there, were more info. So far, this is the only other manufacturer that makes a cold air intake for the Ridge.

Thanks Swampler for the reply.

·
Registered
73 Posts
COLD air intake is not really the issue here..the issue is getting the air into the motor in the straightest line possible. Our factory setup is full of curves. I can just about guarantee that this setup would give at least 1-2 extra MPG, plus another 5-10 HP.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I had the K&N FIPKII on my Tahoe...it DID add more noise, but it also ROBBED my fuel economy (13 mpg regardless) but did roar like crazy anywhere above "grandma-throttle."

I will not buy another K&N one. My Acura had one from AEM, and I was very satisfied with it...over 30,000 miles worth (still looks new if anyone wants to buy the AEM intake from me). It was loud, too, but added mpg (about 20 in town, 28 highway total). I think every car is different. I will keep the stock one for now to see how it works.

George

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
doubledutyemt said:
COLD air intake is not really the issue here..the issue is getting the air into the motor in the straightest line possible. Our factory setup is full of curves. I can just about guarantee that this setup would give at least 1-2 extra MPG, plus another 5-10 HP.
I don't want to make this personal, and I'm sure there are many that believe as doubledutyemt does. I believe it's just plain wrong.

I know nothing about the AEM company or their products.

I do know that 99.9% of these claims are just plain BS. When you run REAL dynamometer tests under controlled conditions the claims usually don't' hold up.

Seriously ask yourself this question: If such a minor change in the intake air routing could really give "1 -2 extra MPG, plus another 5 - 10 HP" don't you think Honda would have done it?

It would have been cheaper to build like the AEM system than the way Honda actually did.

What evidence is there that the engine is starved for air at ANY RPM? None.

Even given the hilarious "dyno" chart that AEM advertises on their web site just doesn't make sense. I could go on and on, but the believers will still think they found the huge secret mistake that Honda made.

No, I'm not saying improvements can't be made, but I am saying that it's more complicated than a bolt on air filter. An engine is a big air pump. All parts must match for the engine to pump the most air. Intake, throttle body, valves, piston design, head ports, exhaust, etc. If you change just one component without extensive testing or modification of the other components you probably end up with worse gas mileage and power.

-Joe

·
Registered
578 Posts
Csimo -
while I agree with you on several points regarding what you posted and regarding K&N type filters in general(engine life etc), it is also very true that on some cars, a simple intake does infact gain a lot of horse power.

Take the RSX-S for example. A cold air setup from AEM has been infact dyno'd on Dynojet dynos to gain a lot of horse power (on the order of 5-10hp *at the wheels*). Infact, a cold air intake and a catback exhaust system on *my wife's* RSX-S made 20 more peak horsepower at the wheels while the peak gain was more than 20hp in some other rpm ranges.

As I am sure you know, OE designs have to take into consideration noise, durability, quality, etc. Aftermarket folks do have the same limitations. On some cars, the systems do infact work. But on others, they make zero horsepower overstock, or very little, and a lot of noise; e.g. Honda S2000.

·
Registered
349 Posts
I had the Brute Force Cold Air Intake installed. The first thing that I love is that the truck GROWLS now when I punch it to the floor. I love my truck, however one of the little things is that it didnt sound impressive (when trying to rev it and flaunt it y'know).
What I mean is that growl of a V8 or V6. I have never cared for the rumble from exhaust systems because they are always there. The truck is just as quiet as before unless you punch it.

Power Increase? YES!

MPG Increase? Yes, I seem to have added about 46 more miles to the tank.

if you love the throaty sound of an engine when you punch it, then you will like it. If you like the ultra quietness that you have now when you floor it, dont get it.

PS It looks awesome under the hood. It uses a DRY K & N made filter. The newer system vehicles (especially Fords) do not recommend the oiled ones due to problems with the oil eventually coating the o2 sensor.

·
Registered
123 Posts
RCU,
As they are fond of saying here; "Pictures please !!!"

You're description of the AEM CAI sounds attractive..."quiet until you punch it".

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ridgeline Crime Unit said:
I had the Brute Force Cold Air Intake installed. The first thing that I love is that the truck GROWLS now when I punch it to the floor. I love my truck, however one of the little things is that it didnt sound impressive (when trying to rev it and flaunt it y'know).
What I mean is that growl of a V8 or V6. I have never cared for the rumble from exhaust systems because they are always there. The truck is just as quiet as before unless you punch it.

Power Increase? YES!

MPG Increase? Yes, I seem to have added about 46 more miles to the tank.

if you love the throaty sound of an engine when you punch it, then you will like it. If you like the ultra quietness that you have now when you floor it, dont get it.

PS It looks awesome under the hood. It uses a DRY K & N made filter. The newer system vehicles (especially Fords) do not recommend the oiled ones due to problems with the oil eventually coating the o2 sensor.

Hook us up with some pics please! Pretty..please...:D

-SixOpRidge

·
Registered
953 Posts
Ridgeline Crime Unit said:
I... the truck GROWLS now when I punch it to the floor
On most Hondas you can remove the air box cover and get this sound. Honda designs the air box to quiet down this intake noise which in some cases does not allow optimum air flow and that is why aftermarket companies release redesigned intakes.

·
Registered
363 Posts
AEM has a history of providing products with real world performance gains. Most other companies state their performance gains, but they are unsubstantiated. AEM is one of three companies in which I believe their performance gains are as advertised. The other two companies are Mugen and Comptech. I have considered the AEM intake, but one, it's pricey, and two, if Comptech comes out with their supercharger, the AEM intake will become obsolete.

·
Registered
349 Posts
PICS be on shortly.
I was told by the distrubutor that it was a dry K&N. That it was manufactured by K&N for AEM.:)

I ordered it from a nearby distrubutor in Savannah. I talked them down to 260.00. I picked it up, they had to special order it. I got the Honda Tech to put it on as it gets a little deep to install. If you have your own garage to work out of you could do it yourself. The technician installed for 40.00.

To find your local distributor go: http://www.aempower.com/product_intake.asp

·
Registered
349 Posts
WhiteRTLnav said:
I have considered the AEM intake, but one, it's pricey, and two, if Comptech comes out with their supercharger, the AEM intake will become obsolete.
I considered the Comptech issue as well. 1st there still isnt one, 2nd I dont think I can convince my wife that the $2000.+ is necessary. 3rd the AEM doesnt have any consequences on my warranty.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts