Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I guess 2021 still falls within the 2G class?

That was a big step, since there was and never has been anything wrong with the 08. It has carried me all over the state for work. It has towed a 4000 lb trailer numerous places, including over the Smoky mountains. In our infrequent snow and icy weather, it has always performed like a champ. It has handled occasional very light duty off road/muddy road situations without problems, though done with extreme caution.

But my step son has been pushng me to sell him this truck for several years, and 13 years is a long time. In my 72 years, 5 years is the longest I have owned any other vehicle. So I started looking for a new truck. As much as I liked the RL, and even though it had been the best vehicle over all I had ever owned, my inner child was pushing me towards things I don't need, such as significant off road abilities. The Ranger FX4, Tacoma, and Colorado ZR2 were all contenders. In my younger years I used to do significant off roading, but I have not done so in many a year. And I have not towed in quite a few years either, with no real plans to do so. Still, if I had a place to do so I would, and the desire for clearance and skid plates was tempting me, even though I would probably have to give up road comforts compared to RL for the 98% of my driving.

So I finally found a 21 RTL-E about 50 miles from here, and went to test drive it, with the plans to test drive a Ranger in the same town. (the supply of trucks seemed quite limited compared to normal). But the ride/handling, quiet and acceleration seemed so overwhelming, that when he made me what seemed a great offer, I took the deal.

Th truck is a true thing of beauty. Quieter, handles better, faster AND much better gas mileage even before breaking in! And all of those new safety features and the exta luxuries over my previous most basic, least expensive model(RT?). What's not to love? Turns out I a had a couple of surprises coming.

1: Well, first thing, I could not close my garage door after parking in the same spot I had my old one shoe horned into for years. This new one is almost an inch wider and 3 to 4" longer! I had no idea they had changed the size. Did that happen after 2G got here, or is that just a change for 2021? I read a lot of reviews on 2017 and newer, but saw no mention of an increased size.

2: But except for having to change things around in the garage, I can't really complain about a slightly larger truck. However, what is with the slightly smaller trunk? 8 cu.ft, vs 7 on the new, I believe. A longer truck bed but with a smaller trunk under that bed? And though it is wider lt to rt, it is not as "long" rear to front, and I am thinking some items I regularly carried in my 08 trunk are not going to fit as well in the new one. I wonder why they did that?

3: Also, I was shocked to find out, after the fact, that clearance had been reduced form 8.2" to 7.6". Really?

4: Even worse, the approach and departure/departure angles have been reduced from 24.5º front and 22 rear for the 08 to 20.4 front and 19.6! I can't help but wonder what is up with that? Why, in a truck where the main thing some truck users have against it is inadequate clearance and angles, would the engineers choose to make those specs even worse?

No doubt, some of the improved handling I have noticed is due to those changes for the worse in off road stats. But, I am disappointed to discover that the truck with the least ground clearance and worst approach/departure(break-over also?) angles of all off road capable trucks decided, at some point after the first updates started, chose to make these things worse, rather than better. If anything, I wish the changes had been in the opposite direction, towards improved off road abilities, even if just a little. Or at least no change. From what I can find out, these changes started back for the 2017 model, which was (I think) when G2 came on the scene.

Now, if I had realized this before hand, would I have still got another Ridgeline? Hard to say. Probably. I truly love it as an on road vehicle, which is 98% of my needs. Maybe even more than before, since I would be slightly more hesitant to take this lower clearance design off road than I was with the 08. And should I decide to tow again, even though the rating is the same 5000 lb, the added horsepower/torque and improved gas mileage won't hurt. Still, I wish they could have found a way to at least maintain off road ability, or even improve it slightly. And maintain that slightly larger 08 trunk size.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Still I read more ++ than - - in your review. Pretty sure you are going to enjoy the G2!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Still I read more ++ than - - in your review. Pretty sure you are going to enjoy the G2!
I think you're right!

Considering how much you and I drive off road . . . .

You are going to love your truck.
I love it already, for city and highway driving. And experience shows it will easily handle all of my towing needs, if I start back with that. So just like when I needed to tow a 4000+ lb camper and my 03 Pilot would not handle that, I ended up picking the 08 Ridgeline over all the other model trucks for it's superiority in everything but off road.

The other trucks would have given me even more towing ability, but turns out I didn't actually need more, the 08 RL got it done. I had no trouble maintaining speed limits even over the interstates in the mountains. And when it comes to payload, which I maxed out once and nearly so a very few times, the other mid size(or even some full size) trucks offered no advantage. The only thing they offered(which like more towing ability, I would have liked, but actually didn't need) was more clearance and superior approach/break-over/departure angles, and skid plates. And less importantly for me, a low range. At the cost of an inferior ride for the next 13 years. So I got the RL, and 13 years later, the same way of thinking led me to another RL. It is an incredibly nice vehicle, and if it is as reliable as my 08 was, it will once again be the most reliable and best vehicle(over all) I have ever owned. Time will tell!

·
Registered
355 Posts
So I finally found a 21 RTL-E about 50 miles from here, and went to test drive it, with the plans to test drive a Ranger in the same town. (the supply of trucks seemed quite limited compared to normal). But the ride/handling, quiet and acceleration seemed so overwhelming, that when he made me what seemed a great offer, I took the deal.
Honda surveyed G1 owners prior to designing the G2. Clearly off road capability did not score high as a G2 requirement. Manufacturers know the first test drive is very important to selling a vehicle. Honda tuned the RL’s suspension for on road handling and comfort. Who goes off road on a test drive? Honda’s strategy certainly worked with you! Aftermarket lift kits and taller tires are available if you really need more clearance but there are better vehicle choices available if off road travel is a priority.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'm in a similar spot as you were. My 2006 RTL is approaching 200,000 trouble free miles. I would only rank my 1977 Toyota Celica GT Hatchback as a higher quality build with the Ridgeline a close second. Unfortunately the body of the Celica rusted to the point of falling off the frame before it hit ten years old. Now I'm ready to move on but the chip shortage / inventory thing is slowing me down.

I agree with your negatives. The added length is a major concern. Reducing the approach and departure angles is rather a ponderous decision. I'm curious if you find the cabin size to feel similar. How is the headroom?

·
Registered
2021 RTL-E Red
12 Posts
I think you're right!

I love it already, for city and highway driving. And experience shows it will easily handle all of my towing needs, if I start back with that. So just like when I needed to tow a 4000+ lb camper and my 03 Pilot would not handle that, I ended up picking the 08 Ridgeline over all the other model trucks for it's superiority in everything but off road.

The other trucks would have given me even more towing ability, but turns out I didn't actually need more, the 08 RL got it done. I had no trouble maintaining speed limits even over the interstates in the mountains. And when it comes to payload, which I maxed out once and nearly so a very few times, the other mid size(or even some full size) trucks offered no advantage. The only thing they offered(which like more towing ability, I would have liked, but actually didn't need) was more clearance and superior approach/break-over/departure angles, and skid plates. And less importantly for me, a low range. At the cost of an inferior ride for the next 13 years. So I got the RL, and 13 years later, the same way of thinking led me to another RL. It is an incredibly nice vehicle, and if it is as reliable as my 08 was, it will once again be the most reliable and best vehicle(over all) I have ever owned. Time will tell!
So....the '21 fits your current mission profile requirements perfectly? What's not to like?

I do commiserate with your garage space comments. I knew when I replaced my 2014 4Runner with the '21 Ridgeline that it would be a tight fit lengthwise but I didn't fully appreciate how tight! By actual measure I have 1/2" behind the rear bumper to clear the sliding door---and that's with its nose trim firmly planted against a foam strip. Parking is a very precise maneuver:)
To eliminate angular approach error (which would make the rear bumper impede the door) I suspended a pool noodle on each side of the vehicle and a suspended tennis ball for the windshield. When the windshield just touches the tennis ball and each pool noodle is in contact with the back of their respective sideview mirrors (and brushing the sides of the fenders) the vehicle is properly parked precisely at 90 degrees to the front wall and up against the foam buffer.

I've been mulling a garage light and mirror system similar to the MLS on aircraft carrier approach ("Roger ball!":D) but the tolerances are too close.

As someone else noted, boredom can be a cruel master:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
2008 Ridgeline RTS in Billet Silver Metallic
23,119 Posts
I think the lesson from the above parking shenanigans is that the garage must pass muster before the house will be purchased! Last time we went house shopping, I turned down multiple houses because the 2 car garage was in name only and weren't of practical size for 2 regular sized vehicles.

Of course as I've discovered, the junk in the garage grows to fill the available space... around the vehicles. To get to my Ridgeline on the far side of the garage, I have to open both garage doors! 🤦‍♂️ Maybe there are some more lessons to be learned there too, but I'm too lazy to learn them. ;)

·
Registered
2020 RTL-E (Modern Steel Metallic), 2013 RTL (Dark Cherry Pearl)
1,501 Posts
Plus one speedlever. Our last house had 4 full size garages.....house was built into hillside so garages were stacked. They could accommodate my Ram 1500 easily. Spoiled me. First thing I did in the new place was measure garage length. 24’ and that’s a yes.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you're worried about ground clearance and approach/departure angles so you can off-road... I'd say the RL probably isn't the truck for you.

I like how a RL owner put it on another forum I frequent - the RL with its AWD system is going to be better when it comes to "soft road" conditions (dirt, sand, light mud, snow, etc) but not OFF road conditions. Since I never plan to do anything more hardcore than the occasional dirt road, better "soft road" characteristics are fine. The on-road comfort and handling are far better than the Tacoma I traded in on the RL, and I'm beyond happy with the 'upgrade'.

·
Registered
103 Posts
After a considerable sojourn & contemplation over your thread starter, some comments & considerations about your reflections on your new RL by yours truly.
Honda’s Ridgeline mid-size truck is not designed to compete with so-called full size domestic 1950’s design obsolete body-on-frame rust buckets. But it has full size freatures.
1. The 2017 re-design & the 2021 mild refresh was made to attract new buyers & improve over the G1. The G2 was improved to bolster the mid size market buyers. Increased sizes are always better.
2. Believe it or not the 2017 & on RL truck bed is equal in size to most full size domestic truck beds. Plus the RL bed accommodates a 4’X8’ sheet of plywood flat in the bed Flat. Domestic truck beds wheel-wells seriously intrude into the useable space.
3. 7.6” clearance vs Tacoma clearance vs Gladiator clearance vs Ranger clearance is only important if you are a serious off road aficionado. RL clearance is perfectly acceptable to climb most city curbs. Want to off road? Need to rock climb, need to go deep in 4’ water, need to scramble over sand, rocks & go places where city vehicles have troubles? Buy a different truck, but eat their poor performance on regular city roads.
4. Approach & departure angles are mostly for off-roaders. RL buyers are not serious off roaders.

In the mid-size truck category, the RL is unbeatable. Best ride, best fuel mileage, best road handling, best AWD setup, roomiest interior bar none, best features, sunroof, & bulletproof engine & 9 speed transmission.
Buy the obsolete domestic junk, visit the dealer for constant warranty repairs & recalls, eat serious depreciation, or enjoy the best mid-size truck on the market that most fools say is not a truck.

·
Premium Member
2018 Ridgeline RTLT in the odd 'green' shade. stock, with bed cover, I am 02nd owner
365 Posts
After a considerable sojourn & contemplation over your thread starter, some comments & considerations about your reflections on your new RL by yours truly.
Honda’s Ridgeline mid-size truck is not designed to compete with so-called full size domestic 1950’s design obsolete body-on-frame rust buckets. But it has full size freatures.
1. The 2017 re-design & the 2021 mild refresh was made to attract new buyers & improve over the G1. The G2 was improved to bolster the mid size market buyers. Increased sizes are always better.
2. Believe it or not the 2017 & on RL truck bed is equal in size to most full size domestic truck beds. Plus the RL bed accommodates a 4’X8’ sheet of plywood flat in the bed Flat. Domestic truck beds wheel-wells seriously intrude into the useable space.
3. 7.6” clearance vs Tacoma clearance vs Gladiator clearance vs Ranger clearance is only important if you are a serious off road aficionado. RL clearance is perfectly acceptable to climb most city curbs. Want to off road? Need to rock climb, need to go deep in 4’ water, need to scramble over sand, rocks & go places where city vehicles have troubles? Buy a different truck, but eat their poor performance on regular city roads.
4. Approach & departure angles are mostly for off-roaders. RL buyers are not serious off roaders.

In the mid-size truck category, the RL is unbeatable. Best ride, best fuel mileage, best road handling, best AWD setup, roomiest interior bar none, best features, sunroof, & bulletproof engine & 9 speed transmission.
Buy the obsolete domestic junk, visit the dealer for constant warranty repairs & recalls, eat serious depreciation, or enjoy the best mid-size truck on the market that most fools say is not a truck.
In sum and in short- I AGREE with this message!. The plywood bi-line is correct. I watched a fellow who helped this antique Ridgeline owner with 04 sheets of plywood-- the first sheet went in on an edge. I told him, 'wiggle the board to the left, and drop it". It was the famous 'jaw on the ground' look on his face, when the plywood went flat to the floor. He had a Dodge with the '05ft' tall wheels; off road, I think ,sort of truck. His plywood was all at an angle.

·
Registered
2017 Ridgeline RTS in Deep Scarlet Red
131 Posts
My last reality check confirmed that I purchased a Ridgeline for everything the other truck products weren't...Unibody frame that cheats conventional design constraints, plastic bed that is rot-proof, hidden lockable storage, knee & back saving 2-way tailgate, very athletic live AWD, phenomenal high speed road manners, great gas mileage, and don't need a step ladder to get into the driver's seat. Noticed I didn't mention off-road topics such as approach/departure/break-over angles in those priorities. That RL is a 2017 purchased 4 years ago and my truck priorities haven't changed.

·
Registered
5 Posts

That was a big step, since there was and never has been anything wrong with the 08. It has carried me all over the state for work. It has towed a 4000 lb trailer numerous places, including over the Smoky mountains. In our infrequent snow and icy weather, it has always performed like a champ. It has handled occasional very light duty off road/muddy road situations without problems, though done with extreme caution.

But my step son has been pushng me to sell him this truck for several years, and 13 years is a long time. In my 72 years, 5 years is the longest I have owned any other vehicle. So I started looking for a new truck. As much as I liked the RL, and even though it had been the best vehicle over all I had ever owned, my inner child was pushing me towards things I don't need, such as significant off road abilities. The Ranger FX4, Tacoma, and Colorado ZR2 were all contenders. In my younger years I used to do significant off roading, but I have not done so in many a year. And I have not towed in quite a few years either, with no real plans to do so. Still, if I had a place to do so I would, and the desire for clearance and skid plates was tempting me, even though I would probably have to give up road comforts compared to RL for the 98% of my driving.

Th truck is a true thing of beauty. Quieter, handles better, faster AND much better gas mileage even before breaking in! And all of those new safety features and the exta luxuries over my previous most basic, least expensive model(RT?). What's not to love? Turns out I a had a couple of surprises coming.

1: Well, first thing, I could not close my garage door after parking in the same spot I had my old one shoe horned into for years. This new one is almost an inch wider and 3 to 4" longer! I had no idea they had changed the size. Did that happen after 2G got here, or is that just a change for 2021? I read a lot of reviews on 2017 and newer, but saw no mention of an increased size.

2: But except for having to change things around in the garage, I can't really complain about a slightly larger truck. However, what is with the slightly smaller trunk? 8 cu.ft, vs 7 on the new, I believe. A longer truck bed but with a smaller trunk under that bed? And though it is wider lt to rt, it is not as "long" rear to front, and I am thinking some items I regularly carried in my 08 trunk are not going to fit as well in the new one. I wonder why they did that?

3: Also, I was shocked to find out, after the fact, that clearance had been reduced form 8.2" to 7.6". Really?

4: Even worse, the approach and departure/departure angles have been reduced from 24.5º front and 22 rear for the 08 to 20.4 front and 19.6! I can't help but wonder what is up with that? Why, in a truck where the main thing some truck users have against it is inadequate clearance and angles, would the engineers choose to make those specs even worse?

No doubt, some of the improved handling I have noticed is due to those changes for the worse in off road stats. But, I am disappointed to discover that the truck with the least ground clearance and worst approach/departure(break-over also?) angles of all off road capable trucks decided, at some point after the first updates started, chose to make these things worse, rather than better. If anything, I wish the changes had been in the opposite direction, towards improved off road abilities, even if just a little. Or at least no change. From what I can find out, these changes started back for the 2017 model, which was (I think) when G2 came on the scene.

Now, if I had realized this before hand, would I have still got another Ridgeline? Hard to say. Probably. I truly love it as an on road vehicle, which is 98% of my needs. Maybe even more than before, since I would be slightly more hesitant to take this lower clearance design off road than I was with the 08. And should I decide to tow again, even though the rating is the same 5000 lb, the added horsepower/torque and improved gas mileage won't hurt. Still, I wish they could have found a way to at least maintain off road ability, or even improve it slightly. And maintain that slightly larger 08 trunk size.
Thanks for a great write-up. Your situation could not be any more like mine, except I am MUCH younger, 70.....HAH! I, too, own a 2008 RL, with 150K miles, bought it used in 2011, and it has been a faultless vehicle for me. I am getting the urge for something new, even thought I surely don't need a new truck. The 2017-20 Ridgeline style just wasn't my cup of tea, though, and so I have been looking elsewhere until Honda came up with the revised looks for 2021. Now I am considering the Ridgeline again.

Your points, though, are well taken. My only frustration with the 2008 was that sometimes I wanted to get back into fly fishing locations that I either couldn't or wouldn't with it. Now I am thinking, "the 2021 isn't going to make those creeks more accessible, but actually less accessible". So back to the drawing board?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Ridgeline RTL
52 Posts

A good doctor can remove the memory of your '08 from your mind. :LOL:Such a great vehicle, although I don't like the techo-nannies you love. Designed and made from a completely different vehicle, so that and so many mandatory changes to crash and other gov't things, longer bed accommodates more requirements. Drive it - enjoy it, it's a much better vehicle overall. And be thankful you didn't buy a Taco........no one has health insurance good enough to get over the back health issues those cause!

·
Registered
2 Posts

Isn't the ground clearance for the 2021 Ridgeline 7.9 inches? 2wd no longer offered, which had a lower ground clearance...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Isn't the ground clearance for the 2021 Ridgeline 7.9 inches? 2wd no longer offered, which had a lower ground clearance...
Nope. According to Honda's web site the new front end has reduced ground clearance to 7.64 inches from 7.87 inches (AWD). That's 0.23 inches off just for "manly" looks.

EDIT: Had to double-check, but to keep things in perspective, the 1976 Chevy 1/2 Ton 4WD (Model K10) in standard trim had 7.4 inches in the front and 7.1 inches in the back, yet these trucks were used for off-roading. So the 2021 RL still isn't that bad.

·
Registered
492 Posts
- Is the trunk really only 1 cu. ft. smaller? Seems like much smaller to me. I used to carry two large totes back there in my G1 with room for more stuff, but the G2 fits just one of those totes, but there is a bit more extra room than I had around the two totes in my G1. And the trunk size was changed to accomadate suspension and structural changes so they could make the bed into a normal pick-up bed shape and eliminate that weird angle behind that cab on the G1 that was designed for structural integrity with the old suspension system, which of course was designed to ride much better than a typical body-on-frame truck. But I really miss the larger trunk too.

- G2 started out much larger in 2017 than the G1.

- With no low-gear range, the approach angle reduction doesn't seem too important

- Honda improved washboard road performance & durability of suspension system on those types of roads (out-performs Tacoma on those), which are about as "off-road" as most people ever get.

- And you gained not only horsepower and mpgs, but an even better ride and a vehicle that performs much better in crash tests (but still not good enough in passenger side small-offset), and a lot of safety features.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts