Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not Ridgeline related (had no problems with it yet) but I though I would sahre.

I have 2 Hondas in the shop right now getting fixed. Our 2018 RDX with 57K miles on it has up and blown its tranny. I say "Blew" but it really just spits out errors (we cant feel anything different). They are replacing the torque converter.

Our 2017 Honda Civic EX is in the shop to figure out why the sound on the infotainment system stop working 6 months ago. This car only has 27K miles on it and is driven by my kids who really would like to hear out of the thing.

In the 20+ Honda I have owned, the only other major issue I ever had was an oil pump on my 1995 del Sol DOHC VTEC b16a model.

I've had concerns with Honda's for over a decade now with lots or talked about issues, especially transmissions.

So we have decided to dump the Acura RDX and are now waiting on a Tesla Y Performance edition for September delivery.

I honestly couldn't see me buying any Honda right now except the Ridgeline (IF I needed to make that choice right now), I see no competition in this class that would take me away.

Right now I have a top of the line 2022 Acura MDX as their shop car, tech package, AWD-SH and everything. It feels exactly the same at the Ridgeline of course. It has a bit more luxo on the interior, is a bit quieter and stable on the road but its def not as fast... but then again... it is the exact same car on the frame.

Damn, I love the heads up speedo on it though. Wish my Ridgeline had that.

·
Registered
3,328 Posts
Honda/Acura is at the fork in the road now. If one was to change from Honda to another brand, now would be a good time. Honda changed somewhere. I don't know if it's less Japan content or they just cheapened out on long term reliability with its components but something changed somewhere after 2014ish IMO.

·
Administrator
23,198 Posts
Our 2018 RDX with 57K miles on it has up and blown its tranny. I say "Blew" but it really just spits out errors (we cant feel anything different). They are replacing the torque converter.
The 2013-2018 RDX has the same Honda 6-speed automatic transmission that has been problematic in the 2017-2019 Ridgeline.

So we have decided to dump the Acura RDX and are now waiting on a Tesla Y Performance edition for September delivery.
Yikes. Teslas are fun, but reliability is among the worst in the industry. You're likely jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. :)

The Model Y ranked as one of the ten least reliable cars based on data provided by owners to Consumer Reports. It earned a reliability score of 18 putting it between the Pacifica and Tiguan.

Tesla overall scored next to last ahead of Lincoln.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Document

If top-notch reliability is what you're after, look to Mazda or Toyota.

The story is similar with J.D. Power's Initial Quality Study where Tesla ranks near the bottom of all surveyed brands using data from owners in 35 states. Note that Tesla blocks J.D. Power from surveying owners in 15 states. I wonder why? :)

Slope Parallel Font Diagram Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
With everyone going Hybrid or EV - there will not be any Manual transmissions - Electric motors are direct drive.

As for me.

1st Honda was a 1976 Accord - Burgandy ( every Honda Accord for 3 months were Burgandy ) Manual Transmission. 3 months later the A/C package came in. The Dealer's mechanic and I spent 3 hours figuring out what parts went with my Accord. It appeared that Fuji, Toyota, and Nissan stamped body parts and cast engine blocks for Honda Accords - so the punched holes and drilled holes in the engine were not in the same spot - the pistons and internals were all the same but the Alternator mounts were all slightly different and the holes to mount the compressor and radiator parts were all different. We found the correct brackets for the Compressor via trial and error. Same for the radiator and heat exchanger parts under the dash. All the electrical were already there. Just had to remove the tape and protective plugs.

I have had 14 Honda's over the years, I left Honda for Subaru when Honda refused to offer Cruise Control, Passenger mirrors and power windows. Came back for the Ridgeline.

Honda used to be last in offering anything to be sure it met quality standard.
Now they ignore quality to be first.
The infotainment quality is a joke.
The 92 CID turbo engine that they put in most models cannot last as long as the 144 CID NA engines of the past.
(hint 92 CID is 1.5L 144 CID is 2.4L)

I owned 2 Hybrid Civics - The batteries did not last long enough to recover the extra cost or the MPG difference.

Texas and other parts of America have had rolling blackouts due to Heat (A/C overload). Can you imagine how bad that will be when 25% of cars need charging - the charging is as much as running the A/C for 8 hours.

·
Administrator
23,198 Posts
Texas and other parts of America have had rolling blackouts due to Heat (A/C overload). Can you imagine how bad that will be when 25% of cars need charging - the charging is as much as running the A/C for 8 hours.
I live in a minority of Texas where the electricity is still regulated and we have no choice of providers. Unlike the deregulated majority, we don't have rolling blackouts or exorbitant bills when the demand is high. I generally like competition, but in the case of electricity in Texas, it seems to harms the consumer.

Map Font Electric blue Diagram Pattern

·
Premium Member
3,218 Posts
It's really sad that Honda doesn't offer a 6 speed manual transmission option in all its vehicles.
My Ridgeline is the first automatic-equipped vehicle I have purchased in my life (I was gifted a six-year-old Mercury with an auto when I graduated from college in 1974). This is oversimplistic and only my opinion but I think it is all about marketing. Honda can sell an automatic to someone looking for a manual but can't sell a manual to someone looking for an automatic. With paddle shifters and dual-clutch autos, the gap is getting smaller and smaller between manual and auto performance for the pedestrian, enthusiast, and towing duties.

·
Premium Member
2022 RTL-E Crystal Black Pearl
1,423 Posts

I have 2 Hondas in the shop right now getting fixed. Our 2018 RDX with 57K miles on it has up and blown its tranny. I say "Blew" but it really just spits out errors (we cant feel anything different). They are replacing the torque converter.

Our 2017 Honda Civic EX is in the shop to figure out why the sound on the infotainment system stop working 6 months ago. This car only has 27K miles on it and is driven by my kids who really would like to hear out of the thing.

In the 20+ Honda I have owned, the only other major issue I ever had was an oil pump on my 1995 del Sol DOHC VTEC b16a model.

I've had concerns with Honda's for over a decade now with lots or talked about issues, especially transmissions.

I honestly couldn't see me buying any Honda right now except the Ridgeline (IF I needed to make that choice right now), I see no competition in this class that would take me away.

Right now I have a top of the line 2022 Acura MDX as their shop car, tech package, AWD-SH and everything. It feels exactly the same at the Ridgeline of course. It has a bit more luxo on the interior, is a bit quieter and stable on the road but its def not as fast... but then again... it is the exact same car on the frame.

The Model Y is the worst Tesla you can buy...please rethink that decision!

Reactions: WB77

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
Absolutely not - I love driving certain vehicles with a manual transmission.
I totally agree and a RL would not be one of them.

·
Registered
16 Posts

I have a 22 Ridgeline RLT-E and would not buy another Honda of any model the way Honda has treated me with vehicle problems. Vacuum booster check valve leaks and they say it is working as designed, cell phone doesn't work about 95 % of the time and high beam auto headlights work erratically. Extremely poor quality and customer service.

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
ZERO issues with my 22.

Reactions: WB77

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I love the 5 speed in my Miata
I always wished the Miata had a 5/6 speed like the one in the b16a del Sol VTEC model or the Honda S2000.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I got the RDX back. They replaced the torque converter and billed Acura $3300 for it. I have a theory as to why this is happening. The second issue was that it had a major misalignment (which they fixed). Im thinking the RDX (aka CRV) cant handle the 300 hp V6, throws the alignment completely off which shifts the rear differential enough that it blows things on the drive line.

·
Administrator
23,198 Posts
I always wished the Miata had a 5/6 speed like the one in the b16a del Sol VTEC model or the Honda S2000.
The 6-speed in my '19 Miata is easily as good or better than anything Honda has ever offered.

Well, I got the RDX back. They replaced the torque converter and billed Acura $3300 for it. I have a theory as to why this is happening. The second issue was that it had a major misalignment (which they fixed). Im thinking the RDX (aka CRV) cant handle the 300 hp V6, throws the alignment completely off which shifts the rear differential enough that it blows things on the drive line.
According to Consumer Reports, the 2013-2018 RDX had "transmission - major" and "driveline" reliability ratings of average to much better than average. if your theory was correct, I'd expect to see ratings of below average to much worse than average for these categories.

·
Registered
850 Posts
Not to say it is always the case, but most people charge their cars overnight, when electric demand is far lower than the day. I am not sure it would make all that much of a difference if 25% were electric. The problem should not be looked at that more electric cars will put a bigger strain on the grid it should be that the greedy companies that maintain the grid should be held accountable for all the money they have been getting to maintain and upgrade the grid and didn't. Right now, wind energy is keeping TX from having mass rolling blackouts.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts