Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the eighth year I've posted this thread on the anniversary of the purchase of my 2007 Ridgeline. I hope it helps new, current and potential owners of what the goods and not so goods have been.

Last year I commented that I thought the prior year (year six) would be a big maintenance year with things like OEM tires and brakes would need to be replaced. The OEM tires lasted through year seven but the rear brakes were replaced last year. It was year eight that a couple of big maintenance items presented themselves. First, I replaced the Michelin OEM tires. The OEM tires were replaced at 71958 on the ODO. They could have gone another 5k if I wanted to push it as they weren’t quite at the treadwear bar, but winter was coming. I went with Michelin LTX/AT’s from Sams Club and so far like the way they ride and handle in the snow.

Second, I replaced my second OEM battery. The first was replaced under warranty, and the second Honda “100 month” battery lasted about 50-months. I went with an Optma Red Top battery, we’ll see how that goes, so far so good.

Outside of two oil changes, replacement of wiper blades, transmission and rear diff fluid changes, that was all the maintenance that was done in year eight, but it was the most expensive year of ownership for obvious reasons. The only out of maintenance issue was that I was rear ended in January resulting in $1,115.00 in damage to my rear bumper. The bumper cover was replaced and looks great. Here's my analysis of my eight-years of ownership of my 2007 DCP RTX.

Miles-My ODO is at 76,722 as of today (9,590 miles/yr.), my annual averaged dropped 175 miles/year from year seven. My miles driven are pretty low by most RL owner standards.

Not changed from last year: Mileage-I register around 15-16mpg in the city which hasn't changed over the years. I usually used Unleaded however in my area you can't find it and have to settle for E10. I have yet to break 20 mpg on the highway/interstate after six-years. Almost made it with 19.7 mpg once, but if I took out all the crap I carry for safety preparedness etc, I'd probably make it.

General appearance: Excellent, however there are a few scratches on the bumpers, lower passenger door, but I did have a couple door dings removed (pretty cheap actually to get them out). The RL still looks great (considering I drive from garage to parking garage five days a week in Nebraska). Having the rear bumper cover replaced and painted also helped.

Exterior paint is still good but could probably use a good detailing with a clay bar, but gets waxed a couple times a year.. Interior, while a bit dirty due to lack of driver maintenance is still in excellent condition. The rubber in the cup holders has started to split/deteriorate due to daily use. I had the oil changed yesterday at the dealership . They found no leaks etc. The engine compartment needs major cleaning however.

Maintenance-I follow the MM for all routine maintenance. Total cost for maintenance over the last eight-years is $2556.70. Total maintenance costs almost doubled between years seven and eight due to tires and battery (or about $319.59/year over eight-years) Compare that to the seven-year mark of $189.63/year. Maintenance costs have started to creep up which is expected as a vehicle ages. I still think the average cost is still low over the eight year period.
Maintenance/Repairs on my dime included:

-1 set of Sylvania standard headlight bulbs
-2 sets of Sylvania Silver Star headlight bulbs
-1 RR Tail light bulb
-1 center Tail light bulb
-1 Nail in the tire, repair
-15 Oil Changes (one free)
-3 Rear Diff. Changes
-2 Transmission fluid change
-1 Brake fluid change
-2 Air/cabin filters at 30k/60k.
-5 tire rotations
-2 Door dings repaired
-Rear brake pads replaced
-New Tires (Michelin LTX/AT)
-Battery (Optima Red Top)
-Wiper Blades

Warranty issues-I had more than my share of warranty/recall issues the first three years, however my local dealership (Williamson Honda) took care of everything with a smile. My warranty repairs included:

-Replacement of swing tailgate latch
-Replacement of Drivers side Headlight assembly due to condensation
-Replacement of Battery due to bad cell
-Replacement of missing bolt in center console causing console to
rock L/R
-Replacement of blower motor 2P connector (recall).
-Replacement of power steering rack that was caught within warranty, just not diagnosed but replaced under warranty.

Overall-I'm very happy with this truck. It fits my needs. I've been impressed with the lack of rattles etc. Everything still works, but that's expected from a Honda. Fit and finish is impressive. I'm surprised with the resale value of this truck after eight-years as well. While most vehicles aren't an investment, at least this one isn't going down the tank value wise. I'll be keeping it for at least 150K unless someone dies and leaves me butt loads of money...

I said this every year I think but it still applies: The RL is still in my recommend category, while Honda engines are bullet proof if maintained, Honda needs to increase MPG, and IMHO reinvent the Ridgeline if it is going to survive. We’ll see what 2016 brings for the RL. See you in 12-months...

Ridgeline Day 1:

Ridgeline Day 2922:

·
Registered
199 Posts
Nice write up sir, thanks for sharing. It certainly seems your Honda is being, well, a Honda. Take care of those modest routine maintenance items and get reliable service for pretty much as long as you care to own the vehicle.

I also really like your day 1 and day 2922 photos. Your Ridgeline looks the same, but the background landscape changes are interesting to examine!

·
Registered
4,982 Posts
Congrats on 8 years of ownership. Come Nov., I will have had my RL for 10 years. My ownership parallel's yours on many fronts, although I put a heck of a lot more miles on mine; I just turned over 165,000 a couple weeks ago, so I am averaging 16,000+ miles per year.

Except for the usual maintenance/wear items, brakes, tires, etc., my RL has been very mechanically sound. I did need to replace the alternator a couple months back but, other than that, I have not had any major mechanical issues with my truck (knock on wood).

I plan on keeping mine for a while yet. I am kinda holding out, waiting for the 2 Gen RL to come out, and see what that is all about. If the new RL does not impress, I will drive mine until the wheels fall off.

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Excellent! Looks great and runs great I am sure. I am a 'low miles' rider myself. Can barely average 8000 mi a year.
No excuse for slacking in maintenance or upkeep. Your problems have been relatively minor compared to many other truck owners even with those relatively low miles.

It is a great truck, and stories like yours are the proof!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Thanks for the update, this was very interesting to read! My '06 Ridge has 106,000 miles, and so far the only work that has been done on it is the timing belt/water pump change at 105k, and the Honda airbag recall. Otherwise, just routine maintenance stuff. I hope to get 4 more years out of it before moving on to something different (already setting aside money in my "F150 Fund". Hope to buy a 2016 or 2017 model in the year 2019).

On a side note, it's pretty cool to see how much those trees in the background behind your truck have grown over the years.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
We hit the 8 year mark back on Feb 28, 2015.
I took the truck in for service April 2 for oil change and brake service.
they resurfaced rotors & replaced pads on rear. Also was supposed to get broken fog light replaced but wrong special order part came in. Truck mileage at that service was 138,815. I took it back Monday April 20 for fog light mileage at that service 139,873. My sister took two separate weekend road trips to Hampton Roads VA area. I guess it will be my turn to get a new vehicle in the family. My 2000 Acura TL was the workhorse in the family until the Ridgeline came along in 2007. The Ridgeline became the primary travel vehicle as I would just switch vehicles with my sister as I probably put 45,000 miles on Ridgeline myself.
My sister gave her old 1989 Buick to my nephew when the Ridgeline came along that car we got when died. I drove it when it was new kept it 19years.
We got my nephew a 2009 Ford Focus new & got rid of the Buick.
He has over 89,000 miles on it. My Acura just has 98,000 miles on it at 15yrs old. So I will be looking at next Ridgeline whenever it shows up.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
On a side note, it's pretty cool to see how much those trees in the background behind your truck have grown over the years.
That's a common thread over the eight years I've posted this thread!

I gotta put in a plug for the Honda Owner link website. It's a great place to track your maintenance, look at your owners manual, receive recall notices etc. I started using it when we had our auto loan with Honda, but anyone that owns a Honda can use it.

Here's the link: https://owners.honda.com/login?ReturnUrl=/login?ReturnURL=/&Expired=1

·
Registered
726 Posts
That's amazing - $2500 of maintenance in 8 years? I've paid more than that in my 3 years of ownership. I've spent about $3000-3500 on a new timing belt, tires, radiator, wheel bearing, brakes, various suspension parts and fluids. This has actually been the most expensive car I've ever owned in terms of maintenance/repairs, even more than my BMW and Audi. I think the main reason is due to high mileage. I should be able to run this for another 3 years with nothing except fluids now that I got all the big ticket items taken care of. I don't mind the high maintenance costs though, it's been worth every cent :)

·
Registered
599 Posts
Very cool! I've had my 06 about 4.5 years and haven't kept up with what I've spent like you have, but I'm pleased. I got it w/100k so I did the timing belt shortly after as well as tires. Other than that, it's been oil changes and things I've handled myself including plugs.

This site has saved me a TON of money.
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
My ownership kinda mirrors yours, purchased my 2007 in late November 2006, first year not much millage as I lived in the Bahamas and only came home once a month but then retired at end of 2007. Routine maintenance done as needed, no problems with rack (steering) but had the heater wiring done per recall. I have 66,000 on it as of today and did replace OEM battery under some warranty... replaced with another OEM that is still going strong. Tires changed at 47,000 and 5 years, found some new take off's cheap and resold my old ones, still on those tires today. I did have to replace power steering unit last year (bad bearings) and I have changed all brake pads myself, rear showing wear but fronts Ok but went ahead and replaced all 2 years ago. I do tow a bass boat and it is harder on brakes but tows great and never a problem at any ramps. All fluids have been changed per MM and have never seen any kind of metal shavings.....

I do have some small dimples (3) and small scratch but they don't take away from overall appearance, I wax 2 times a year and clay bar before doing so, it has been kept outside for the last 3 years and in FL sun is taking a toll on some rubber parts. I'm a little OCD about engine bay and always get comment from Honda dealer as to how clean it is along with Interior. My best gas millage comes when driving interstate and keeping it just under 70 (2000 rpm's) got 21.6 but not pulling boat.

I too will be looking at Gen II but for now I am one happy owner and have no reason to change that.....:act035:

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
Great write-up and great pics! The fact that you've only spent $2500 in eight years on maintenance is astounding. I would venture a guess that it's likely the same for many 06-08 RL owners on this site. I just passed 5 years with my 07 and I've spent about the same on maintenance. I've tracked what was done in a very detailed booklet, but I haven't kept track of the costs. I would assume that if I was to exclude the timing belt service and precautionary radiator replacement (both done by a Honda dealer), I'd be at about $1500 - including two sets of tires. I do all of my own work, so that's obviously saved me a ton of money. Fluids and brake pads are cheap and that's basically all I've had to do. Our Accord has been even less expensive to maintain. We're coming up on five years of ownership of it and it's only needed one set of tires, one set of brake pads and rotors and an unexpected repair when the AC condenser took a rock and needed to be replaced. Love these vehicles!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2007 RTL and I haven't spent a dime on maintenance! I picked it up a few days ago.....only time will tell!

I really love this truck....

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Looks just like my 07 Nimbus Grey RTL, Bill!!! Hope you have as good of luck with it as I've had with mine!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 2007 RTL and I haven't spent a dime on maintenance! I picked it up a few days ago.....only time will tell!

I really love this truck....
Well, maintenance isn't like depreciation Bill! I hope the first guy took care of your RL!:act024:

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
Maintenance is one thing and repairs are something else. You do one so the other will happen less frequently.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Maintenance is one thing and repairs are something else. You do one so the other will happen less frequently.
Which is likely why I haven't had to do a single "repair" on my truck in my 5+ years of ownership. It was well taken care of before I bought it and I've been a mad man with maintenance. I know it has a lot to do with the Honda build quality, but I can't imagine another 9 year old vehicle with nearly 150,000 miles looking, feeling and driving as well as mine with the exception of my wife's 05 Accord. The only repair we've done on that car is the AC condenser because it was hit by a rock. Having two paid off vehicles that cost so little to maintain is very nice.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maintenance is key with Hondas. Put the money to maintain them over the long run and they last. I think that sometimes people think they can buy a Honda and It'll run forever. That's really not true, it's all about maintenance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts