Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unfortunately, I included the dealer-installed XM radio option in my deal and found out after they installed it that the antenna is glued to the inside of the windshield! And it's huge, about four times larger than the external antenna I got when I added aftermarket XM to an old minivan.

I'm fairly tall so the stupid antenna blocks my view when looking right, to do a lefthand turn.

Anyone know of a good external antenna solution for the Ridgeline? (I have the RTL without sunroof/navigation)

·
Registered
150 Posts
I ordered the same Honda unit that you have and installed it myself. I did not like the idea of the antenna on the inside of the windshield, but installed it there per directions. I admit it takes a little getting used to. It seems to work well enough, except when heading due north on streets lined w/ trees or buildings.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, I wondered about driving north with it in that position (have not transfered my XM activation yet from other car). I live in Southern Calif., where do you live? I expect that the further north one lives, the worse the reception will be when driving north.

I may use this as a lever to get Honda, or the dealer, to pay for an external antenna installation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I sure wish I had found this thread before I negotiated a deal on an RTS with XM radio added. I was expecting the external antenna same as the RTL, and was shocked to see the antenna on the windshield.

I live in Northern California. The reception I get is OK heading south or east, but terrible going north or west. Moreover, it appears that it is not legal in California to have an antenna attached to a windshield. One way or another, the stupid inside antenna has to go!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
I too am interested if anyone finds an aftermarket antennae for XM. I just purchased a portable XM/MP3 player combo called an INNO. It comes with a small portable magnetic antennae that you are supposed to put on the roof after snaking the wires through the vehicle and up to the portable unit you keep in the front near the radio (uses FM modulation to transmit through car speakers). I undersrtand what all are saying about the heading north problem as this is a dissapointment in how well/not well XM works in a vehicle. I currently have the antennae sitting in the defroster channel secured by a tiny velcro strip in the middle of the front windshield area but the wire looks rediculous on the dash.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts