Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished grunting and cussing a Hidden Hitch into place on my Ridgeline. I used two jack stands and a floor jack to get it into position. The easiest part was dropping the muffler. The hardest par was getting the first bolt into place. Went like clockwork after that. Just as I was finishing up the UPS truck pulled up with my new ReTrax tonneau. I think I'll hold off until this weekend to do that. Once that's in I'll install the backup sensors and rearview camera. Then in goes the monitor (into the slot for the MP3 player). That should keep me happy for a while:D (sure, sure, whatever you say).

·
Registered
73 Posts
I'll second that Hidden Hitch install..never had so much trouble with an aftermarket hitch in my life..had to leave one bolt out 'cause it absolutely positively would not line up!..It was still a whole lot cheaper than what the dealer wanted though!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Preinstall check, which makes life much easier:

I was told by the tech line for hidden hitch that the brackets could be bent during shipping and could be bent back, but only as long as they are off by an inch or so (I was concerned about weakening the metal).

Perform the following procedure at your own risk since you may be doing some bending and will be making judgment calls on your own. Call the hidden hitch tech line to verify all the info below

Measure the mount holes center to center from one side to another. They should be 52 inches on center. Now measure the distance from one of the center mount holes (above the receiver) to the last mount hole on each side, again on center. Should be equal distances on both sides.

If not figure out where they are off. The mount angle brackets should be square with the hitch. If either look bent in or out you can bend them back with a 4x4 or 6x6 block of wood and a sledge hammer. Rest the bracket on the wood block and use the hammer to persuade them back to correct dimensions. Bend them back until they look square and straight and the mount holes are 52 inches on center from one side to another and are evenly distanced from the center mount hole above the receiver, on center. The techline at hidden hitch did not recommend bending them into place if they were off by more than an inch or two. Again, you can check to see if they are bent evenly by making sure the distance from one of the center mount holes (above the receiver) are of equal distance to each side (last mount hole).

I did this procedure because I noticed one bracket was bent inwards about a half-inch or so. After following this procedure, the holes lined up perfectly and installation was painless the first attempt.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Sorry to hear your problems with the Hidden Hitch. My neighbor and I installed it in about 20 minutes or less.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think your secret was that there was two on the job. It is an easy job with two people. It can be several magnitude more difficult when you're doing it solo. Funny, most jobs are just the opposite. The more people involved, the longer it takes. That was Kelly Johnson's secret to the "Skunk Works". Keep staff to a minimum and budgets tight. Well, my budget is certainly tight after that tank of gas I just purchased!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just installed the Hidden Hitch today its been in the garage for the past 3 weeks as we had visitors from the UK staying with us then the Storm came through so this was the first weekend I have had to look at getting this done.

It took approx 1 hour from start to completion with about 5 minuets help from the wife to hold one end while I got the bolts started.

I did not have any problems with the lineup of the holes or the bolts.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts