Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Loved my 2010 RTL. Time for a new truck. Saw the pics of the new ridge and hate it so I went and bought a Ram, I know most will say good luck keeping that Fiat running blah blah blah, but the real reason for my post is I just wanted to thank all the people that helped me out, posted informative stuff on the truck and i general are just good knowledgeable people. This is a great forum and I waited in the hopes of being able to buy a new ridge but no way am I buying that. They dropped the ball.(IMHO) Id rather have my 395 HP and 8 speed trans. To those of you that get one I wish you all the luck in the world , although Ill need it a bit more if the track records stay the same...LOL thanks again :act030:

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Congratulations on the Ram, assuming its a 1500, nice vehicle, very high on my list.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,409 Posts
Sounds like you found something to fulfill your needs.

Good Luck and Enjoy the Ride!!!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I'm confused here. You like the original Ridge, but you think the new Ridge which is faster and gets better gas mileage is worse than Gen 1? The Ram is obviously in a completely different class, so I'm confused there as well. If you knew you wanted something a full size or something with "395 horses" then why wait for Gen 2 to come around? I know sometimes it's hard and car decisions are rarely made rationally ... I've been all over the place, looking at the Ram, the new Tacoma, and even the XC90.

·
Premium Member
7,332 Posts
To each his/her own. To be honest there are very few "bad" vehicles left on the road in North America. Will a Ridgeline outlast a Canyon / Colorado? By the time you find out I doubt you'll really care.

Way too much prejudice from years or decades old perceptions. Find what you like and buy it regardless of brand. They're all good vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To those negative on GM, Ford, or RAM you are holding on to prejudice that is completely unfounded and you need to re-evaluate your personal biases.

I think every single truck (mid or full sized pickup) will give 200,000 miles of trouble free service. The diesels will go about 300,000 or more. What more can you ask for? The brand does NOT matter. The features that make you happy DO matter regardless of brand.

GM is better than they used to be. Honda is worse. The reality is that all new vehicles are about the same (with a few exceptions).

PLEASE STOP BEING BLINDLY BRAND BIASED. Look for the vehicle that works for YOU. That's all that matters.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
To each his/her own. To be honest there are very few "bad" vehicles left on the road in North America. Will a Ridgeline outlast a Canyon / Colorado? By the time you find out I doubt you'll really care.

Way too much prejudice from years or decades old perceptions. Find what you like and buy it regardless of brand. They're all good vehicles!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

To those negative on GM, Ford, or RAM you are holding on to prejudice that is completely unfounded and you need to re-evaluate your personal biases.

I think every single truck (mid or full sized pickup) will give 200,000 miles of trouble free service. The diesels will go about 300,000 or more. What more can you ask for? The brand does NOT matter. The features that make you happy DO matter regardless of brand.

GM is better than they used to be. Honda is worse. The reality is that all new vehicles are about the same (with a few exceptions).

PLEASE STOP BEING BLINDLY BRAND BIASED. Look for the vehicle that works for YOU. That's all that matters.
Outstanding post, as always. Thanks again for taking the time to educate us, Joe.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Good luck with the Ram.

Really only matters what one likes, checks the most boxes and can afford. I've owned many different vehicles and while I have not bought an "American" made car or truck in a decade and longer, it is not ruled out as they have improved.

One big issue for ME is service and customer support AFTER the sale. When you have problems or issues, how is it dealt with? How is routine servicing? This is where Honda has dropped the ball in my short experience. And for that, I will not return for parts, servicing or future sales at two particular Honda dealerships. Will be trying a third dealer come next service. If similar, that is probably it for Honda in my book.

Again, good luck with your new truck Johnny.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Good Luck.

I find myself in the exact same position. I too, was waiting for the release of the new Ridgeline. Although my current Ridgeline has served me well, (HVAC issues now) I've found myself constrained to the towing capacities and disappointed with fuel economy. If I'm getting low fuel economy and have a low tow rating, why not just go to a full size truck. I'll try to talk my girlfriend into taking my Ridgeline, but I've been in contact with a RAM dealer for the past week. Once I saw the new Ridgeline, I decided my new truck will not be a Honda. Even if they improve the tow rating and the fuel economy, the asthetics just aren't there. I hope the aftermarket will contribute to its appearance, but I don't believe Honda will sell enough to warrant most companies to invest their time in R & D to produce the accessories necessary to dress up the new Ridgeline. While the Black Edition is the most pleasing, If black is the only body color available, that will be a mistake.

If I my ask, did you trade the Ridgeline for the RAM? if so, how did you do with the trade value?

·
Premium Member
7,780 Posts

Joe, I am lucky enough to live know more than a few people with RAMs, Jeeps, Chevy's, and Fords to have seen common issues with those brands. The 8 speed transmissions seem to be problem plagued. The Fords are still like the Fords of yesteryear to me (Too many of the owners have had reoccurring issues). The Chevy's (I have been in a brand new rental for about three and a half weeks) to know I still will not be buying one. The Jeeps seem to be inundated with electrical gremlins. While Honda has let us down in innovation, the reliability has been there. Only the future will let us know if Honda will continue to be as reliable as they have been in the past. For me, I have been looking at the Toyota products. However, their interior styling and their trucks gas mileage are points of concern. I am waiting to see the new Ridgeline in person and if possible, to drive one before making my final decision.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Good luck with the Ram.

Really only matters what one likes, checks the most boxes and can afford. I've owned many different vehicles and while I have not bought an "American" made car or truck in a decade and longer, it is not ruled out as they have improved.

One big issue for ME is service and customer support AFTER the sale. When you have problems or issues, how is it dealt with? How is routine servicing? This is where Honda has dropped the ball in my short experience. And for that, I will not return for parts, servicing or future sales at two particular Honda dealerships. Will be trying a third dealer come next service. If similar, that is probably it for Honda in my book.

Again, good luck with your new truck Johnny.
Also, good luck with the Ram

A comment on this quote. I have had a recent dealer service experience. My RL is the only car I have ever purchased a pre-paid service on, Always did my own maintenance so would know what was done an know the quality of lubes, filters, etc that I used. I had a weak moment and went with it this time. Well, I had the RL in for the 30k mile service (which took 2.5 hours). SO I was sitting in the waiting room when a rep came out to tell a lady that everything was OK with her car except the battery terminals were corroded and that would cost $35 to clean. My first thought was that was petty. It cost more time for the rep to come out and discuss this with the owner than it would have to just take care of it as part of the service. Well, I didn't think much more about it until I got home and popped the hood to see if things looked OK. The first thing that jumped out at me was about an inch high pile of what looked like corrosion on both battery terminals. Now about a week before I took it in I checked under the hood and everything was fine and I always check the battery terminals. So, I got a hose out and sprayed the battery terminals and the "corrosion" just melted away. I believe it was something like Christmas spray snow. They must have forgotten to try to bill me $35 for the same trick. Have lost a lot of respect for Honda over this and the missed opportunity to take the truck market to a new high.

·
Registered
340 Posts
I know we are straying off topic but will respond to FrankC.

My aunt went to here local Honda dealer for servicing and was told she needed rear brakes. Funny thing was, her son (electrician by trade) had just did a brake job about 5 months prior! My aunt told them that and got a "okay, we're sorry."

That is the closest Honda dealership to me which because of that little story and knowing that the same dealerships loves to charge for an oil additive without asking before servicing has kept me away.

While I use to be a "motor head" in the old days, I just don't care to turn wrenches anymore or have to deal with recycling oil, etc. so I have my vehicles serviced. Unfortunately, Honda doesn't seem to care and still plays old school games with it's customers. I found this out the day I purchased my Ridgeline and was charged a couple grand for an extended warranty while being told it was "free" which I knew better and canceled pronto.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
I wholeheartedly disagree Joe. Go to a site like TrueDelta and look up shop visits and warranty claims. The big number is residual value after three years. Look it up for the vehicle you think you like. If it is high (above 65%) then your vehicle is desirable and one of the reasons for desirability is reliability and durability. Sure, most are better than they used to be but vehicles like Jaguar or Jeep Grand Cherokee have many many issues that require multiple shop visits. If you enjoy hanging out in a service department for the first three years of ownership then that's great but that is not my definition of dependability or reliability. Good luck with Shingles, they are tough sledding for awhile.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

Excellent points - I've tried to make similar points here and elsewhere - and usually get shot down on. The reality of REAL issues that require service visits is: All vehicles are very close in reliability now days. This is no longer 1985 when there were real differences (but even a 'reliable' 1984 Camry would be considered horrible by today's standards).

That said, my 2010 RL was bullet proof. However, our VW Tiguan has been as reliable as our previous Toyota Highlander. The worse car I ever owned was a 2002 Acura TL-S. I've had one minor fixable issue with my 2 RAMs. Really nothing today that should weigh on you so much that you don't buy what you want and what fits your needs because of perception. I know there are a lot of us 'old guys' on ROC but no need to live in the past.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Good luck with the new purchase! The ram is a nice vehicle.

If the rest of you are looking for common vehicle problems, recalls, safety ratings, etc. check out www.carcomplaints.com

That is actually the site where I decided to get my Ridgeline as my next truck as it was the most highly rated truck available for safety rating, reliability, and low amounts of common problems in the price range I was looking at. Great website, great info! One thing to keep in mind is to compare the amount of claims to the amount of vehicles sold that year. For instance 1000 bad reviews on a common issue on an F150 is probably better than 100 bad reviews on a M3 since the F150 far outsells it. :)

·
Premium Member
5,568 Posts
I am waiting to see the new Ridgeline in person and if possible, to drive one before making my final decision.
I am pretty much at the same place. My biggest issue at this point is justifying spending the money for a new truck. My current ones still run pretty darn good. :)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Life after G1...the future

I'm confused here. You like the original Ridge, but you think the new Ridge which is faster and gets better gas mileage is worse than Gen 1? The Ram is obviously in a completely different class, so I'm confused there as well. If you knew you wanted something a full size or something with "395 horses" then why wait for Gen 2 to come around? I know sometimes it's hard and car decisions are rarely made rationally ... I've been all over the place, looking at the Ram, the new Tacoma, and even the XC90.
I'm more than satisfied with my choice of G1 Ridgeline. Interior is great, driving dynamics are excellent, utility has met all my needs (OK, so some of the items I haul hang out the back, I'm OK with this). Drivetrain has been fine. So nice not to have to mess with the transfer case when the rears start slippin as I had to do with my previous trucks (AWD on demand all the time is the way to go) The exterior style I've always thought was odd and while it's grown on me it's still odd. Since my driving time is spent inside the truck the exterior styling is low on my list of importance.

Mileage I always thought should have been a bit better, though it was as good or better than competitors of it's time frame.
Fit and finish overall has been less than expected and I had a few small issues requiring warranty repairs in the beginning - overall it's been reliable.

Having said this I don't care for the interior on the G2. Not at all. It's a deal breaker. I will properly maintain my G1 as long as possible and when it's time to replace it I will go elsewhere unless it's G3 time.

Right now a Ram or Tacoma would replace my G1 if a meteor destroyed it.

For me the G2 Ridgeline is less, not more than G1 Ridgeline.

And for the OP, wish you the best with your Ram.

To Honda and specifically to Gary Flint, thanks for making the G1 Ridgeline as I very much appreciate your creation.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts