Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the tenth year I've posted this thread on the anniversary of the purchase of my 2007 Ridgeline. I hope it helps new, current and potential owners of what the goods and not so goods have been.

For the sake of simply repeating things from past years, I suggest you do a username search and you can see the posts from each year I’ve owned my RL and the issues along the way.

Maintenance items and weather started creeping up this year however not expected. I had paintless hail damage repair this past year, a new after market head unit installed after the factory radio back lighting went out, front brake pads/brake fluid, airbag inflators replaced under recall, another set of air/cabin filters, replaced a tire under warranty (nail), two oil changes and a VTM4 fluid change.

Miles-My ODO is at 94304 as of today (9430 miles/yr.). My miles driven are pretty low by most RL owner standards, Not changed over the years: Mileage-I register around 15-16mpg in the city.

General appearance: Excellent to very good (it is 10-years old). The RL still looks great (considering I drive from garage to parking garage five days a week in Nebraska). I had paintless dent repair after a hail storm last summer ($2404 before my $250.00 deductible). The rear spoiler, that piece that houses the rear 3rd brake light and the rubber gutter strips were also replaced.

Interior, while a bit dirty due to lack of driver maintenance is still in excellent condition. The rubber in the cup holders continues to deteriorate due to daily use. No rattles (resolved glove box rattle) and fit/finish continue to be good. Solid door slams.

Mechanically: Everything works as new. I am watching the corrosion on the radiator fitting (see pic) that others have experienced. Just a plug for GiraffeCam wireless endoscope to get the pic.

Maintenance-I follow the MM for all routine maintenance/repairs. Total cost for maintenance/repairs over the last ten years is $3646.76. Front brake pads, insurance deductibles, VTM4, brake fluid changes this year brought my average for annual maintenance to $364.67 over the ten-year period. Maintenance/Repairs on my dime included:

-1 set of Sylvania standard headlight bulbs
-2 sets of Sylvania Silver Star headlight bulbs
-1 RR Tail light bulb
-1 center Tail light bulb
-1 Nail in the tire, repair
-18 Oil Changes (a few were free)
-3 Rear Diff. Changes
-2 Transmission fluid changes
-2 Brake fluid changes
-3 Air/cabin filters at 30k/60k/90k.
-7 tire rotations
-2 Door dings repaired
-Hail damage paintless repair
-Rear brake pads replaced
-Front brake pads replaced
-New Tires (Michelin LTX/AT)
-New Tire (Michelin LTX/AT)
-3 Batteries (Current Optima Red Top)
-1 set Wiper Blades

Upcoming Maintenance: I’m coming up on the 105K timing belt/water pump replacement in the next year. I’ll most likely replace the OEM radiator with a Spectra, and spark plugs as well.

Warranty issues-I did get the airbag recall completed. Otherwise during the early years of ownership, I had more than my share of warranty/recall issues however my local dealership (Honda of Lincoln) took care of everything with a smile. My warranty repairs included:

-Airbag inflators replaced
-Replacement of swing tailgate latch
-Replacement of Drivers side Headlight assembly due to condensation
-Replacement of Battery due to bad cell
-Replacement of missing bolt in center console causing console to
rock L/R
-Replacement of blower motor 2P connector (recall).
-Replacement of power steering rack that was caught within warranty, just not diagnosed but replaced under warranty.

Overall after ten-years I continue to be happy with this truck. It fits my needs. Everything still works, it drives like (almost) new but that's expected from a Honda I'm also pleasantly surprised with the resale value of this truck.

Gen II buyers, best of luck. My advice; If you have not already purchased a Gen II, wait a year or two to let Honda get the bugs out.

Day one:

Ten years later:

Radiator fitting:

·
Premium Member
2,166 Posts
The most pronounced difference in the before and after photos is the growth of all the trees, the truck looks pretty much the same. :)

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Yea, that truck Looks Good, @wrenrj1

:grin:

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The most pronounced difference in the before and after photos is the growth of all the trees, the truck looks pretty much the same. :)
Ya, but close up you see the dings and nicks. I need to put together a timeline of each pic over the years to see the growth of the tree.

·
Registered
15 Posts
WOW, under 4K spent on maintenance in 10 years!

I purchased my 2006 at 123K in 2013, it is now just under 150K, and I have spent $6700 CND! ...and I thought that I hadn't run into any major issues...

Attachments

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The neighbors got new shingles on their roof!!!!
Nice observation HondaCasey. It was the same storm in 2016 that resulted in the hail damage that I posted as repaired on my RL. I got a new roof as well.

Reactions: coolbob

·
Registered
2007 Nimbus Grey Metallic RTL
10,048 Posts
I remember seeing this yearly post from wrenrj1 several times. This is pretty much a constant comment. The truck stays the same - the tree grows. HAHA! Truly awesome, though.

WOW, under 4K spent on maintenance in 10 years!

I purchased my 2006 at 123K in 2013, it is now just under 150K, and I have spent $6700 CND! ...and I thought that I hadn't run into any major issues...
I just passed the 7 year mark of ownership on my '07 last month. I bought it with 75k miles on it and it's currently at a little over 157k. I've done all of the work and maintenance on it myself with the exception of the timing belt service, radiator replacement and valve adjustment. It's not that I couldn't do these jobs myself, but I simply got too good of a deal from the dealership that it made sense to let them do it rather than using my own time. Nonetheless, excluding any added accessories or upgrades, I've spent about $2500US on maintenance in those 7 years.

Timing belt service - $700.
Radiator - $400.
Valve Adjustment - $300.
One set of tires - $600. (Only paid for one set as extreme premature wear allowed me to invoke the warranty for full replacement)
Two sets of brake pads - $150.
Spark plugs - $50.
Fluids, filters and misc. parts - $300~.

I've kept a very strict maintenance log book showing everything I've done on the truck. There have been some years where the only maintenance I've needed to do is a single oil change. My old girl will be 11 in August and isn't showing any signs of giving up anytime soon. I keep it very clean inside and out and I'm looking forward to at least another 10 years of ownership. I have no doubt that wrenjr1 is in the same boat.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ya, I try to line the RL up as close as I can to the original pic to show the growth of trees in my neighborhood. Luckily, my neighbor had her garage door closed this year. Kinda cool.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I remember seeing this yearly post from wrenrj1 several times. This is pretty much a constant comment. The truck stays the same - the tree grows. HAHA! Truly awesome, though.

I just passed the 7 year mark of ownership on my '07 last month. I bought it with 75k miles on it and it's currently at a little over 157k. I've done all of the work and maintenance on it myself with the exception of the timing belt service, radiator replacement and valve adjustment. It's not that I couldn't do these jobs myself, but I simply got too good of a deal from the dealership that it made sense to let them do it rather than using my own time. Nonetheless, excluding any added accessories or upgrades, I've spent about $2500US on maintenance in those 7 years.

Timing belt service - $700.
Radiator - $400.
Valve Adjustment - $300.
One set of tires - $600. (Only paid for one set as extreme premature wear allowed me to invoke the warranty for full replacement)
Two sets of brake pads - $150.
Spark plugs - $50.
Fluids, filters and misc. parts - $300~.

I've kept a very strict maintenance log book showing everything I've done on the truck. There have been some years where the only maintenance I've needed to do is a single oil change. My old girl will be 11 in August and isn't showing any signs of giving up anytime soon. I keep it very clean inside and out and I'm looking forward to at least another 10 years of ownership. I have no doubt that wrenjr1 is in the same boat.
Wow, I think I'm looking at least $1200 if not more for the timing belt service. I'm looking at an independent garage to do the 105k service/radiator, but will give the Dealership a chance to do the work.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Wow, I think I'm looking at least $1200 if not more for the timing belt service. I'm looking at an independent garage to do the 105k service/radiator, but will give the Dealership a chance to do the work.
Had it done at a dealership. Timing belt, tensioner, water pump and coolant. I called around to several different places. The prices ranged anywhere from $700 to $1200 for the same work. I usually go for the middle quote, but went with the cheapest. Couldn't have been happier. The work was done in about three hours and one of the seasoned master mechanics at the shop did the work. He said everything looked perfect and even gave me the old belt to show me that it was still in very good condition - a sign of a well-built and well-maintained engine. I had asked for him to change out the cam and crank seals, too, but he said mine weren't showing any signs of wearing out anytime soon. No use in fixing something that isn't broken.

It's an expensive, but necessary service. Make sure you call several different places to get quotes. They'll be all over the board. Also, don't let them charge you $20 per spark plug and $150 to put them in. They are very simple to change out on your own. At the very lease, buy a set of six from Amazon for less than $60 and have a local shop do it. Takes an hour or less.

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Had it done at a dealership. Timing belt, tensioner, water pump and coolant. I called around to several different places. The prices ranged anywhere from $700 to $1200 for the same work. I usually go for the middle quote, but went with the cheapest. Couldn't have been happier. The work was done in about three hours and one of the seasoned master mechanics at the shop did the work. He said everything looked perfect and even gave me the old belt to show me that it was still in very good condition - a sign of a well-built and well-maintained engine. I had asked for him to change out the cam and crank seals, too, but he said mine weren't showing any signs of wearing out anytime soon. No use in fixing something that isn't broken.

It's an expensive, but necessary service. Make sure you call several different places to get quotes. They'll be all over the board. Also, don't let them charge you $20 per spark plug and $150 to put them in. They are very simple to change out on your own. At the very lease, buy a set of six from Amazon for less than $60 and have a local shop do it. Takes an hour or less.
Great advice! Thanks.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
^^ That is absolutely spectacular.

·
Super Moderator
5,331 Posts
Not a lot has changed, although it's easy to tell who's the worse for wear. And after 10 years you'd think the guy could have wiped that smirk off his face.:grin:
Looks as though the neighbors painted their house too, like wrenrj1's neighbors. Nice shot of you and the RL.

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Looks like he lost one of the trees in his yard, too. The big one in the foreground of the left side of the 2007 picture doesn't make an appearance in the 2017 photo.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts