Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello this is my first post to the forum but it has been alot of help to me with my 2010 Ridgeline and I thought some of you would appreciate this.

So after looking at options to replace my stock RTL head unit I stumbled upon Joying's line of Android head units and after a ton of research I finally pulled the trigger on the 9 inch double din px5 model with 4gb of RAM and 32gb of onboard storage. I was a little unsure about these units but I was intrigued by all the features and basically having an Android tablet in my dash so I gave it a shot.

Over the weekend I started the install and got the head unit mounted in and wired up and I thought I'd share the info about this headunit with you guys as I really think it fits our dash well and performs great so far. I'm not %100 finished yet as I still have a boss sub amp to install as well as a backup camera but so far so good. The top of the screen sits out a little and sort of rests on dash / radio bezel which I think actually looks nice and makes it look like a lot of newer vehicles with large touch screens. There is also a slight gap between the lower pocket and the head unit which I will be closing up somehow but overall I think it's a great fit. Let me know what you guys think! IMG_20181104_100129_1541381575170.jpg IMG_20181104_100129_1541381575170.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,135 Posts
Would also love to see some images from the driver seat.

HU looks to have a significant gloss surface, how is the glare.

Agreed, Great First Post.

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,763 Posts
This is the kind of stuff I love when noobs start a thread. It is friggin awesome....... than those who ask questions about what engine oil to use.

Anyways, I want to see what the long term (1-month, 3 month, etc) updates. Folks over at other forums and reviews gripe about failures in few weeks, but I think it may have to do with cooling. I run an indash car-pc and it has 4 fans keeping it cool and it has lasted me 7 years... and counting. I love the 9inch screen and I can live without the gloss, but nothing an antiglare/protective film cant fix.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So here are a few more photos from the drivers and passengers seats as well as close ups of how the top of the screen angles out a little. It is a pretty glossy screen but I didn't notice alot of glare during the one day of sunlight we have had since I got it installed. Unfortunately here in VA its been raining the last few days so I couldn't really get any full sun photos for you guys. But I'd say there is a little glare but the screen is so bright that it doesn't wash it out completely. A matte screen protector would probably be a great solution if it becomes a problem.

As for the reliability of the unit I've read alot of reviews good and bad and for me I think this works really well. I really wanted something with a big screen since the Ridgeline has such a large dash and stock head unit and unfortunately it seems Alpine is the only one who makes anything over a 7 inch screen but I didn't want to spend $900 on the Alpine Halo unit or their restyle units. I do think this has way more customizability though and I love all the apps I have access to. The biggest downside I've found so far is remembering to turn the wifi hotspot on. But time will tell with everything else. Waze Pandora and Spotify all work great. Bluetooth calls work great and FM radio works great and it even displays RDS info. So far I love this head unit though and would highly recommend it! I have downloaded a 3rd party launcher to give it the look and layout you see in the photos.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is no dash kit needed for this head unit. I mounted it with the oem radio brackets. There are a few different mount holes on the radio that I had to play around with to get the screen angle I wanted. The main unit is a normal double din size and the screen kind of floats out in front of it and is held in with 4 clips and can be easily removed for security. The only thing I needed for this install was a wiring harness which you would use to install any aftermarket headunit.

Here is a link to Joying's website. They also have an 8 inch and 10 inch version as well. You can Google both of those options and find pics online of them installed in a Ridgeline if you want to see how they would look. I personally prefer how the 9 inch screen looks.

https://www.joyingauto.com/joying-9-inch-double-din-android-8-0-oreo-4gb-32gb-car-navigation-system-with-digital-amplifier.html

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes the steering wheel controls work. You can actually set them to do whatever function you want in the settings.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The sony looks good also. I"m an apple guy and considering the same unit. Just wondering if your satisfied with the unit? I was considering the lower unit with the know but afraid that it will be hard to access due the metra dash unit.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Yes the steering wheel controls work. You can actually set them to do whatever function you want in the settings.
Damn, I've been considering a Gen 2, mainly for the updated tech/radio but I'm thinking this kind of install would be even better (in a Gen 1). How's performance? Assuming good with the 4GB of RAM? Does it come with Google Play Store?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello Gmen10. I am planning to add an Android head unit from Joying on my 2009 RL. Can you tell me which harness I should buy from them to support the steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hello all! So performance on this unit has been very good. It's really quick to open and close apps. So far my only complaint is that the screen has a little glare during bright days. Maybe tinted front windows or a anti glare screen protector would help with that.

As for getting the steering wheel controls to work I bought two of the metra 70-1729 harnesses and depinned two wires from one harness and inserted them into my second metra harness to match up to the factory radio steering wheel control wires in pin#5 and #16 locations. Key1 from the joying harness went to pin16 on the factory harness which is the radio control switch and pin#5 had to be grounded to the radio ground and the controls worked perfectly after that. I have a 2010 model and this diagram is for an 09 which is the same. You may need to double check that it's correct with your make and model. Unfortunately joying does not make a plug and play harness for our Ridgeline.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gmen10, I'm a bit confused, which happens a lot. From 2009 on the RLs have CANBUS. I was under the impression that this complicated adapting the steering wheel controls, at least on non-NAV RLs? So, this connection worked for your mode/volume/channel buttons without adding a CANBUS decoder?
One knock on the JOYING and other similar Android HUs, is that IF they have a SUB-OUT at all, the voltage is so low that it won't drive an AMP. Did you lose your SUB?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hello everyone! No I did not use a canbus interface and I have a 2010 RTL without nav. The subwoofer at the moment is not connected. I did purchase a amp but sadly have not had time to install it yet. But some of the joying units do have subwoofer outputs. Mine unfortunately does not. So I will be connecting the amp to the rear amp output on the joying unit and using the built in low pass crossover on the amp to control it. This is not ideal as I'd like to have the controls from the head unit. But I think once I get it setup and sounding the way I want it to it will be great. I do like the unit but I'm not going to tell you it's perfect as it does have some quirks being an Android head unit. But the features it has over a standard pioneer/ Kenwood/ Alpine etc I prefer over great sound quality and sound customization offered by the big brands. It does have a built in EQ so you can do some fine tuning of your own and get a better sound from it. I am still using the oem speakers which to me sound pretty good right now.

Now that the holidays are over I should have some free time to install the subwoofer amp and the backup camera though.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I was wondering if this can replace my 2013 navi. Would the install be different? How would I connect the back up camera and such?

What do you mean when you say depinned?

Hello all! So performance on this unit has been very good. It's really quick to open and close apps. So far my only complaint is that the screen has a little glare during bright days. Maybe tinted front windows or a anti glare screen protector would help with that.

As for getting the steering wheel controls to work I bought two of the metra 70-1729 harnesses and depinned two wires from one harness and inserted them into my second metra harness to match up to the factory radio steering wheel control wires in pin#5 and #16 locations. Key1 from the joying harness went to pin16 on the factory harness which is the radio control switch and pin#5 had to be grounded to the radio ground and the controls worked perfectly after that. I have a 2010 model and this diagram is for an 09 which is the same. You may need to double check that it's correct with your make and model. Unfortunately joying does not make a plug and play harness for our Ridgeline.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Aftermarket Android head unit?

I have a 2007 Ridgeline RT and a the stock head unit is installed. I am looking to go with an android head unit and interested to hear if anyone had a specific recommendation. Thank you so much!

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
3,763 Posts
Re: Aftermarket Android head unit?

Welcome to ROC. Hope you enjoy your stay here as there is a wealth of resources

1) Should have searched for it. Here is a link >> h̶t̶t̶p̶s̶:̶/̶/̶w̶w̶w̶.̶r̶i̶d̶g̶e̶l̶i̶n̶e̶o̶w̶n̶e̶r̶s̶c̶l̶u̶b̶.̶c̶o̶m̶/̶f̶o̶r̶u̶m̶s̶/̶9̶-̶1̶g̶-̶m̶o̶b̶i̶l̶e̶-̶e̶l̶e̶c̶t̶r̶o̶n̶i̶c̶s̶/̶2̶1̶4̶0̶5̶8̶-̶j̶o̶y̶i̶n̶g̶-̶9̶-̶i̶n̶c̶h̶-̶a̶n̶d̶r̶o̶i̶d̶-̶h̶e̶a̶d̶-̶u̶n̶i̶t̶-̶i̶n̶s̶t̶a̶l̶l̶.̶h̶t̶m̶l̶?̶2̶1̶4̶0̶5̶8̶=̶#̶p̶o̶s̶t̶3̶0̶1̶8̶5̶0̶0̶.̶ (Threads Merged)

2) Your request is for a G1 Audio, and posted in a G2 Audio section.

It happens, and we understand. In the future, always search for your topic using the search function on the top.

Moderator Note: Thread Merged

1 - 20 of 34 Posts