Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Aftermarket Camera Install

Installed an aftermarket backup camera in my RL last weekend. Almost complete. I still intend to further modify the sunglass holder to better accommodate the monitor. My plan is to trim down the holder itself as well as trim-to-fit some high density black foam to fill the holder with a cutout so that the monitor fits flush within the foam. I have another sunglass holder I purchased from heliATP for $20 to use for the mod. In the meantime, I’ve used Velcro to attach and it’s working, just not aesthetically pleasing to my taste.

I wanted as “OEM” a look as I could get, so I ordered the Honda paint matched tailgate handle with camera hole to replace the existing handle. Otherwise, all aftermarket components. Shopping list with prices:

• Color Match Tailgate handle: Ordered from Bernardi Parts (38.89, including shipping with promo code)
  • 25 ft composite video cable from Firefold.com (stripped off yellow/video from the other two red/white cables) ($3.99)
  • Wire/Connectors - $12

I did choose a camera that was larger than the opening in the tailgate handle. I wanted one that had the night vision which does increase the diameter. To enlarge the hole in the handle, I fished the cables through the hole so the back of the camera was flush against the face of the handle and used a fine point sharpie to trace around the camera back. I then used a dremel to router out the hole to the larger size. This worked very well.

Power Wiring: I tapped the power/ground to the camera from the driver side backup light wires. Have been into the tailgate before when installing the DIY $10 tailgate lock. Used the existing conduit I installed then to house the wire from the light housing to the tailgate. For the monitor, I tapped into the power/ground for the rearview compass. I didn’t want to tap into the overhead light or homelink as those remain “hot” with the ignition off. The compass is only hot in the ignition II position, so no drain on the battery when the car is off.

Video cabling: As mentioned in my shopping list, I used a 25 ft RCA cable (I already had this, but provided the source/cost). The unit came with a 20 ft cable, but I didn’t want to use any connectors and 20 ft wouldn’t quite cut it. I removed the driver side front and rear floor sill panels and the B Pillar cover. I fished the RCA cable from the center console, above the headliner to above the driver door opening using a fiberglass “strut”rod from a kite we had lying around the house. I did pull the headliner away from the trim molding above the door. Be VERY careful as you’ll be working near the side curtain airbag that runs alongside the door opening. Once I snaked the rod from the console to the door, I duct taped the cable and pulled it through. I routed the cable across/under the headliner to the pillar, down the pillar to the rear door. I did drill a hole large to accommodate the RCA connector through the floor. After drilling, I hit the area with two coats of primer to protect against rust. I then ran cable out the same opening that I did the wiring for my tailgate wiring to the rear lock power supplies (see link to those pics here in post 89: http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9981&page=9
I continued the route along the same route as I did the tailgate lock wiring, tie-wrapping along the way.

Everything is working great. The camera isn’t flush with the hole mount, but as I mentioned, I wanted the larger camera. Not a perfect fit, but by no means an eyesore. Still a little work to do to clean up the aesthetics of the monitor mount. Will post pics of that when I complete. I spent about 10 hours doing this, but it was the Saturday before Easter and the in-laws were over, so I was in NO hurry and a lot of the time spent on this was by design :act035:.

Total project cost was just under $100. I know I could get a wireless, hook up to license plate frame setup in that range (for a low-end unit), but I wanted a wired system and something that appeared close to a factory install.

If you’re considering this, feel free to shoot me any questions. Pictures in next post.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The Picture of the floor is marked with a red dot where I drilled the hole for the RCA cable. The cable you see in the picture is for the wiring between the rear door lock power/ground to the tailgate lock actuator.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I'm still holding out for new head unit but I like what you did for the monitor!

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Hope it works for you. Remember to seal it since it doesn't fit in the hole rain or car washes could leak into the tailgate. Also remember that in security cameras bigger isn't always better. Yours is a 1.0 lux whereas the ones most have been using here that fit the hole are a 0.2 lux. Meaning you need 5x more light to see an image. Always good to see other options though!!!

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still holding out for new head unit but I like what you did for the monitor!
I would have gone for a new HU except I have lifetime subscription to XM and I used my last available transfer when I xferred it to this unit. In retrospect, I should have replaced the HU, THEN xferred the subscription to that, but I got a bit too anxious and didn't realize the benefit until it was too late.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Hope it works for you. Remember to seal it since it doesn't fit in the hole rain or car washes could leak into the tailgate. Also remember that in security cameras bigger isn't always better. Yours is a 1.0 lux whereas the ones most have been using here that fit the hole are a 0.2 lux. Meaning you need 5x more light to see an image. Always good to see other options though!!!
Thanks. I did seal it from within the TG. I also went a step further and sealed a plastic barrier around the handle from the inside. The OEM handle with the camera opening has HUGE gaps/openings that the original/non-camera handle doesn't. I was surprised when I compared the two. The non-camera handle certainly has more integrity than the camera'ed version.

Good point on the lux rating. What's in there now is pretty sufficient for my needs. Honestly, the bulk of the effort of this mod was running the cables. Given the price, I look at the actual camera as being somewhat disposable in that I don't know if I'll have long term luck with water fogging, etc., so with that in mind, I might go with a different camera when/if the time comes. If I do, I can easily (and affordably) purchase another handle to install. It's held in with two screws and can be swapped out in 10 minutes, including time to remove tailgate cap and cover. If I do replace the camera in the future, I'll certainly consider your suggestion. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
I would have gone for a new HU except I have lifetime subscription to XM and I used my last available transfer when I xferred it to this unit. In retrospect, I should have replaced the HU, THEN xferred the subscription to that, but I got a bit too anxious and didn't realize the benefit until it was too late.
No problem, better to have the cam than not, even if you don't have an HU to hook it too yet. I could not imagine not having a rear cam anymore.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Me either

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally got around to finishing up the monitor install. If you look at the first set of pictures, you'll see that I velcro'ed the monitor in the stock sunglass holder. I purchased another sunglass holder from Heli ATP so that I could begin chopping one up and still revert to stock later if needed.

Originally I planned to use high density foam to create a mount that would fit in the modified sunglass holder and then fit the monitor within. The foam idea just didn't work. I couldn't get a single piece large enough and trying to glue sheets together to form one just wasn't working.

Someone suggested balsa wood, so I picked up a block at a hobby store for about $7.00. I trimmed the bottom and front portions of the sunglass holder down and used my bandsaw, sander, drill and exacto knife to form a balsa frame that would fit in the holder and serve as a mount for the monitor. Painted it with some left over Plasti dip and installed.

Not necessarily a perfect mount, but it's solid, allows me to hide the monitor when not backing up, and looks pretty good.

The pics are taken from the passenger seat. I did carve the mount so that the monitor is slightly angled toward the driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before & After

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,315 Posts
It does look great, I am more convinced to move mine up there. Plus you have some shading for it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This looks better than OEM. Don't be surprised if Honda steals the design for the 2013 Ridgeline.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

·
Registered
220 Posts
Before & After
Jeez. So now I have to do THAT to my truck too! that is very slick looking and functional. I have my GPS installed and hardwired like yours in my sunglass holder-with velcro that ultimately fails with the heat.
Q- How did you fasten the balsa to the plastic? How does the GPS stay attached to the balsa? Is it easy to remove the GPS and reinstall in the holder? pictures of the 'guts' of the wood where the GPS cradles?

I never thought about CUTTING the sunglass holder but that makes total sense. Kick ass job.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks to all for the positive comments.

SkycoKid, I wish I had taken pics of just the wood insert before I installed it, but it was getting late, etc., etc.

Anyway, what you don't see behind the camera are some grooves that I drilled/carved in to accommodate a protrusion on the back of the monitor where a mounting arm can attach, some grooves for the buttons on the back of the monitor and a channel running up to the top for the cable. With all of these fittings, the monitor already fit pretty snugly in the wood mount. Just to ensure that it would stay, and to make it easy to remove later if I need to, I ran a small bead of shoe goo (it was closer to me than my silicone caulk) across the mating point of the top of the monitor and the top of the wood. Shoe goo is effectively nothing more than silicone caulk for repairing tennis shoes. Dries clear and remains flexible.

As for the wood mount, the fit is so snug that I didn't need to use anything else to mount it. It doesn't move at all. Otherwise I was going to use some 3M two sided mount tape that stands up well to the heat.

In the before picture, I too was using velcro with limited success. The adhesive just doesn't take the heat well.

If I do pop it back out in the future, I'll shoot some pics for you. If I had known it was going to work as well as it did, I would have taken pics along the way as I made it, but after the complete fail trying foam, I wasn't completely confident I'd have any success with this.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,804 Posts
I finally got around to finishing up the monitor install. If you look at the first set of pictures, you'll see that I velcro'ed the monitor in the stock sunglass holder. I purchased another sunglass holder from Heli ATP so that I could begin chopping one up and still revert to stock later if needed.

Super job Nuke.

You cut the heart out of my sunglass holder, but gave it soul. LOL :act006:

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hi Nuke, looking to copy your install it looks great, just what I'm looking for my ridgeline.
I have the same model year and colour as you do.
Right off the bat though I'm stuck, where do you find a replacement tailgate handle with the camera hole.
I have looked at several Honda parts sites and entered the year, model etc. but can't find just a handle.
The nearest I came was a whole tailgate assembly.
I even went to the Bernardi Parts site but couldn't find one there either.
I'm kind of noob at this so maybe I'm not doing the search right, sure would appreciate some help getting started with this.
Thanks

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
daleslad,

Sorry for the late reply. I sold my RL, so I'm not on here as much as I used to be.

If I recall correctly, you have to search on 2011 as the year and select the RTL with Navi option (since that's the model that came standard with the backup camera and therefore the correct tailgate handle). I ordered mine from Bernardi Honda. I think it's gone up a dollar or so in price. The part number and description is below. Note that the part numbers are specific to the color, so the number below is for Alabaster Silver (see the NH700M which is the paint code). You mentioned that yours is this same color, so it should be good, but check the paint code on your door jamb to confirm. Anyone else looking to order would need to find the part number associated with your paint code.

74810-SJC-A21ZJ Honda HANDLE ASSY., TAILGATE (UPPER)*NH700M* (CAMERA)

$30.28

1 - 20 of 20 Posts