1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I think it's interesting that they market the system with two sensors, but all the pictures show four sensors on each bumper. I don't think two sensors would give adequate coverage for safety. I would much prefer an audio signal with increasing frequency as you near an object vs. a display that you have to refer to while you are attempting to back up.

"The stick on type sensors have double stick self adhensive tape in the behind for easy installation." - Funny translation

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, this is difinitely a no go. I'd rather opt for oem, or one of the better option i've seen hear on the board.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I also picked up on the photos showing 4 sensors. Why the sensors on the front bumper? Something is not right here. :confused:

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
We recently bought an SUV in one of those end of year, if you can find it on the lot, as is options deal and my wife would not take anything without a back up sensor system. We found a model with everything else we wanted and of course it did not have the back up sensor, so we opted to add this at our expense by the dealer. Of course the dealer claimed the after market model was "more sensitive" than the OEM. The OEM has 4 sensors and aftermarket had 2. I was skeptical, but the overall deal was still a good $ value on the SUV. The results in real life for performance on this installation versus every other OEM system are "NO WAY".:( Stay away from aftermarket sensors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote" The results in real life for performance on this installation versus every other OEM system are "NO WAY"."

BILLB, how so? Could you elaborate?

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
Sensors in the front bumper are not that odd. BMW offers them in their X series and I believe Lincoln/Mercury does too on it's SUVs. They are for parallel parking assist. They are different from the rears in that they sense only about three feet in front vs. six feet in the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
Webwader said:
They are for parallel parking assist.
Hallelujah! That's got to be a huge improvement over the all too common bump 'n' grind method of parallel parking. Let's push for mandatory front and rear sensors on ALL vehicles! :p

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
The 2 sensor backup system installed on wife's SUV not only picks up objects in its "warning zone" that have now way of being hit by backing up, it picks up light posts 25 feet away, in some cases it does not pick up objects directly close to side back corners. The far away object pick up is just annoying, but the close by side object not pickup is potentially dangerous. The 2 sensors are mounted somewhat closer to the center of the rear bumper than the 4 sensor system which distributes the mounting more uniformly across the bumper and this I believe is why it is not as sensitive to the real close to side objects. If the 2 sensors were placed on outside edges, they probably would not pick up directly behind objects as well. Bad compromises either way they are installed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Webwader said:
Sensors in the front bumper are not that odd. BMW offers them in their X series and I believe Lincoln/Mercury does too on it's SUVs. They are for parallel parking assist. They are different from the rears in that they sense only about three feet in front vs. six feet in the rear.
Gee, you learn something everyday!!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have relatives who learn what types of vehicles have backup sensors in them and like to tailgate them at lights to make their sensors go off. Any of these aftermarket sensors hook into the trucks systems so that they only work when in reverse? I wonder if the Honda OEM ones do. Guess I have some researching to do.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
I have relatives who learn what types of vehicles have backup sensors in them and like to tailgate them at lights to make their sensors go off. Any of these aftermarket sensors hook into the trucks systems so that they only work when in reverse? I wonder if the Honda OEM ones do. Guess I have some researching to do.
All OEM backup sensors only work when the transmission is in reverse. Your relatives may not trigger the sensors but they might set off the driver. :eek:

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Webwader said:
All OEM backup sensors only work when the transmission is in reverse. Your relatives may not trigger the sensors but they might set off the driver. :eek:
Maybe all new OEM backup sensors only work in reverse, but I can promise you it wasn't always that way. I have seen the alarm go off through a window when we came up behind one car. I thought it was stupid myself, but they seemed to be enjoying themselves so I let them go on their way doing silly things.

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
But was it an OEM installation?

·
Premium Member
6,881 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
shingles said:
I am not a big fan of those ultrasonic sensors.
Frist, you have to drill holes.
Secondly, their performance can be impacted by environmental variabls such as wind, dust, dirt, etc.

I have pretty much come to the conclusion that I will probably go wtih these if I pick anything.

http://www.rostra.com/rostra-obstacle.htm
Great find Shingles! I agree completely. Rostra also has several backup camera systems and seat heaters. I bookmarked the site and will be looking at their products for my next mod. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
A key feature of any good backup system is the visual alarm. This Ross one seems to have a well designed multi-color version. I will look into a swap out of the wife's worthless system (doesn't have any visual warning).

·
Registered
3,242 Posts
A key feature of any good backup system is the visual alarm.
The backup alarm on our Windstar has no visual alarm, in my opinion, there is no need for one. The audio tone starts at about six feet away from and object and increases in frequency until you are about six inches away, at which time it is a constant tone. No need to have to look at a visual aid to distract you from watching your mirrors.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts