Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has any one seen or heard an after market exhaust for a V-tec? I mean a real exhaust and not a tailpipe noise maker!! I was thinking it would be nice to have a little rumble if that is possible from a V-6.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I am sure someone will make one eventually.
My dad put an aftermarket exhaust and cold air intake on his CRV.
Someone that worked on it saw the cold air intake and said that it was not a good idea. He said Honda puts an incredible amount of technology into the air intakes of their engines and to not mess with that.
So I would be cautious about aftermarket Intake/Exhaust Engine mods.
My dad does like the extra power and the sound of the exhaust though so it is tempting. :D

Doug

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
Honda puts a lot of technology in their intake system to reduce intake noise. I only got a 'B' in thermodynamics, so someone who did better will have to explain to me why airflow through a serpentine path is more efficient than a straight path :) . Looking at the intake and exhaust systems, it sure seems to me like there's lots of hp just waiting to come out. The aftermarket will go after this if it makes economic sense. Hopefully they'll also get rid of that annoying exhaust boom at 2100 rpm.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
shovelhd said:
Honda puts a lot of technology in their intake system to reduce intake noise. I only got a 'B' in thermodynamics, so someone who did better will have to explain to me why airflow through a serpentine path is more efficient than a straight path :) . Looking at the intake and exhaust systems, it sure seems to me like there's lots of hp just waiting to come out. The aftermarket will go after this if it makes economic sense. Hopefully they'll also get rid of that annoying exhaust boom at 2100 rpm.

I got an A in thermo but I can't remember anything but the very basics :( It can help if you have a laminar flow which Honda might design in with a curved intake, not sure. It's possible a straight pipe might not help leaving the flow turbulant even though it appears to be less restrictive. I remember reading in Honda's white papers about the RL they optimized the plenum dealing with pressure waves to take advantage of some effect I forget the name of. Basically it's well designed to cram as much air as possible to the engine. Ok, found what I was looking for, read below from hondanews.com:

"Dual Stage Induction Manifold

The induction system atop the Ridgeline's V-6 engine works in concert with the VTEC valvetrain to significantly boost torque across the engine's full operating range. Internal passages and two butterfly valves commanded by the powertrain control module are configured to provide two distinct modes of operation. The valves are closed at lower rpms. In this mode, the three cylinders on each bank draw air from only the nearer half of the manifold's internal chamber, or plenum. The volume of the plenum and the length of inlet passages are both tuned to maximize the resonance effect, wherein pressure waves are amplified within each half of the intake manifold at certain rpm ranges. The amplified pressure waves significantly increase cylinder filling and the torque produced by the engine throughout the lower part of its rpm band. Funnel-shaped intake ports - similar to those used on racing engines - are built in at the uppermost end of each intake runner to improve air flow.

As the benefits of the resonance effect dwindle with rising rpm, the butterfly valves open at approximately 3700 rpm to interconnect the two halves of the plenum, doubling its volume. An electric motor commanded by the powertrain control module directly opens and closes the connecting butterfly valves. Now each cylinder draws intake air from the full plenum chamber. The inertia of the mass of air rushing down each intake passage helps draw in more charge than each cylinder would normally ingest. This phenomenon is the same effect produced by a low-pressure supercharger. The inertia effect greatly enhances cylinder filling efficiency and the torque produced by the engine at higher rpm. Concurrently, the VTEC system has switched from low-speed to high-speed valve timing to further enhance air flow through the intake valves and into each cylinder.

The net effect of the Ridgeline's dual-stage intake manifold and VTEC valve train is that Ridgeline delivers more than many of the large V-6s and small V-8s used by the competition, while also providing superior fuel efficiency and very low emissions. More than 90-percent of peak torque is available from 2500 to 5500 rpm."

·
Registered
635 Posts
Forget thermo dynamics( I think I slept through that one) and think mass flow, straight pipes would give different flow to each cylinder, you curve them to achive an equal distance from the thottle body to each cylinder to equalize flow.

Honda is the largest engine builder in the world, they have won many awards for their VTEC design, I trust their knowledge more than I would an aftermarket intake or exhaust builder.

·
Registered
254 Posts
It’s called the helmhotlz affect. This creates a wave of pressure that stuffs more air into the intake manifold when the switch valve opens. This is a relative simply way to boost power. Alternating the intake system would be a significant mistake. It is doubtful you will duplicate the tuning that has been accomplished with several Cray computer modeling systems.

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
The Cray is a very outdated computer :D

Seriously, do you really think that Honda optimized the intake and exhaust system for maximum power?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Kodiak said:
It’s called the helmhotlz affect. This creates a wave of pressure that stuffs more air into the intake manifold when the switch valve opens. This is a relative simply way to boost power. Alternating the intake system would be a significant mistake. It is doubtful you will duplicate the tuning that has been accomplished with several Cray computer modeling systems.
The Bellteck affect: This is what happens when Bellteck has too may beers and BBQ Beans. The internal pressures cause a system malfunction usually resulting in a mixture of deadly gases easily released with a minor reconfiguration or roll to the side. :eek:

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I would love for someone to try this upgrade and post results.. As a 45 yr old kid at heart, ya gotta love that little rumble as well as passing the kid in his little race car on the way to home depot effect...but....becareful, from what I've heard of Honda, they leave little room for improvement, they get as much out of an egg as they can, if they coulda got 3 more HP out of it, why would they hold it back :confused:
Anyway In my last vehicle 04 jeep Rubicon, i went K&N FPIK as well as a Borla exhaust.
I got the rumble I was looking for , I got the extra kick when I want to pass someone. What I did not expect was 2 to 4 miles less per gallon!
The Jeep mechanc's stated that I would need to modify the software for the on board PC.. They said it is do able to be done, only cost was around $800.00 for the device. The Factory on board PC is only programmed as it left the factory, when you alter things like exhuast & intake, you confuse the little PC.. as it trys to keep levels where they need to be.
Anyway I wish anyone luck the wants to try this... As mentioned. I'll be right there with ya if it works, But this time I'm not willing to be a poineer as maybe it will wreck the mileage "as is" for alittle bling :)

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sent a message to Borla asking when a Ridgeline Exhaust would be available. Did you get a nice sound (v-8 like) or one of those annoying rice burner sounds?

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
maybearidge said:
I sent a message to Borla asking when a Ridgeline Exhaust would be available. Did you get a nice sound (v-8 like) or one of those annoying rice burner sounds?
I added a Borla catback to my Expedition. It did change the sound to a soft rumble but ya hardly would notice unless you're listening for it. It certainly did not provide any noticable increase in power or mpg. It's supposed to reduce the exhaust back pressure to help in this regard but knows how Honda's computers are going to react to that. I won't be doing it again, not worth the cost.

·
Registered
578 Posts
shovelhd said:
The Cray is a very outdated computer :D

Seriously, do you really think that Honda optimized the intake and exhaust system for maximum power?
yes, but within certain parameters. Weather considerations, sound level, over all power, etc are something that aftermarket intake and exhaust makers don't have to worry about.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Jeez, it appears from all the folks that took Thermo that the demographic for a Ridgeline buyer is a middle-aged geek :D

I got the highest grade in a Thermo class with 225 students, so I suppose that makes me a super-geek :eek:

·
Registered
10,401 Posts
shingles, that's exactly the point I was trying to make. Horsepower is hidden in compromises.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds good. Which FM do you have, and if you get a chance post up some drive by & acceleration type of vids.
It is not a flowmaster it is actually called a flowsound. It is a cheaper version of the flowmaster 40 series. They are completely identical

1 - 20 of 29 Posts