Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a company that will offer an aftermarket exhaust system for the 2017 Ridgeline?

I know Magnaflow offered one on the Gen1 so I emailed them a few minutes ago and am waiting a response, will post here when they respond.

For anyone who had one on your Gen1, what was the MPG gain?

here's a vid of a Gen1 with aftermarket exhaust system, sounds good.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Ridgeline RTS in Steel Blue
7,262 Posts
Borla and Gibson also offered aftermarket exhausts for the G1. I'd just contact all the big players...

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
The borla on the G1 sounds great. I don't think I would go for an exhaust system on the G2 though.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not its the same engine?

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
The trick will be for it to sound good (a little louder than stock) when you want it, but not loud all the rest of the time.

A loooong time ago I worked at a muffler shop, I have thought about temporarily removing one of the two stock mufflers (one is probably more of a resonator). Since the Catalytic converter does some muffling, one muffler might be all it needs. If it worked out, for a permanent solution, I would like to run a 2 1/4" pipe all the way from the Catalytic converter to a single muffler and then out the back.

Also, any good local (usually non-chain shop) shop can custom bend and build any system you want, probably for less than a mail order one. The local guy will also have a good idea what the sound will end up being like if they have a lot of experience. We did race cars, street rods and everyday vehicles, we had access to all the popular manufactures and like I said, had a pretty good idea what a certain muffler and pipe diameter would end up sounding like.

I remember one time a customer had a straight 6 cyl. 1965 Mustang with a split exhaust manifold so it could have dual exhaust. The Mustang owner insisted on glass pack mufflers. The owner of our shop said it was going to sound terrible, but that is what the Mustang owner wanted. Yes, it sounded terrible! Another guy came in with a old Hot Rod that had a flat head V8 and wanted new dual exhaust. I asked the shop owner what mufflers we were going to put on it and he said "None", just straight pipes! I was surprised to hear it had a nice mellow tone with just the straight pipes!

·
Registered
132 Posts
The trick will be for it to sound good (a little louder than stock) when you want it, but not loud all the rest of the time.
That's the key. My previous roomates drove a 5.0 Mustang with aftermarket exhaust, and a WRX with the upgraded exhaust. I could hear both of them coming a half mile away, and it was physically painful to sit in the back for more than a short ride.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im not interested in loud, im interested in something that will increase my MPG, i dont know a lot about exhaust systems, but what would my best bet be if i wanted to get better MPG? I thought better flow and less restriction would mean better MPG.

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
In general, for both intake and exhaust:

Smaller diameter pipe drops horsepower, but increases power/torque at lower rpms. Conversely, large diameter pipe will kill low-end power, but you won't care so much because your engine will make a LOT more power on the upper end of the rpm range.

Length of pipe affects power, also. In general, longer pipes put the power low in the rpm band, whereas shorter pipes put the power higher in the rpm band. If you can adjust the length of the pipe just right, you can have backpressure between exhaust pulses that will actually scavenge, or help suck out, the exhaust gases from the cylinder. Same deal for the intake, if you adjust the length just right, it will help pull air into the cylinder in a synergistic effect, similar to supercharging, but by using air pressure pulses only. Chrysler did this with RAM intakes on their 426 RACE Hemi back in the 60s, when NASCAR was real. Based on the length of the intake/exhaust pipes, you can maximize power delivery within a specific rpm range. However, it takes quite a bit of science mixed with trial/error, and is usually reserved for high-budget racing development.

In answer to your MPG question, the stock setup is probably best. You could probably go with longer, smaller-diameter pipes to pick up a little MPG, but will lose a lot of power. Honda likely put a lot of R&DJ into the powertrain to get the best overall compromise. Aftermarket intakes and exhausts are generally larger diameter to provide more power, and only in very rare cases do you pick up MPG. Save the money you would have spent on those aftermarket parts and use it to buy gas instead. Aside from sound, you can only do so much when catalytic converters are involved.

Years ago I had a '76 Dodge Charger with 400c.i. big block engine. This car did not come from the factory with catalytic converters, so you could make a lot more improvements in the intake/exhaust system. I converted the single exhaust to a true dual exhaust, dropping the single 1.75" pipe for twin 1.5" pipes with a crossover (balance) tube ahead of twin turbo mufflers. I also switched the anemic 2v carb for a Carter Thermo quad 4v carb. Those two changes gave me a 4 mpg increase, and much better driveability with increased low-end power and throttle response. That was the good ol' days....

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Are WE riding this wagon now ?? :grin:

CAI...now searching for exhaust ?? :surprise:

Friends of mine mentioned custom pipes shops ( not my usual route nor have I ever )

They said that you keep your stock catalytic converter and things...just the custom shop bending some pipes ...etc.

Please enlighten me :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Are WE riding this wagon now ?? :grin:

CAI...now searching for exhaust ?? :surprise:

Friends of mine mentioned custom pipes shops ( not my usual route nor have I ever )

They said that you keep your stock catalytic converter and things...just the custom shop bending some pipes ...etc.

Please enlighten me :)
Are you asking what a muffler shop could do for you? As in something custom?
They can make an exhaust system for you, most likely from the catalytic converter back. Single pipe out back, just like factory; dual pipes; in front of the rear wheel; etc. How big is your wallet?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Are you asking what a muffler shop could do for you? As in something custom?
They can make an exhaust system for you, most likely from the catalytic converter back. Single pipe out back, just like factory; dual pipes; in front of the rear wheel; etc. How big is your wallet?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
but here's a hurdle... unless you have access to tools...you won't get the exact length/sound you want ( hatch job :) )

That's where name brands comes in...with sample sounds...instead of YOU/ME trial & errors ?:|

·
Registered
1,505 Posts

That's the key. My previous roomates drove a 5.0 Mustang with aftermarket exhaust, and a WRX with the upgraded exhaust. I could hear both of them coming a half mile away, and it was physically painful to sit in the back for more than a short ride.
By your wise experience...I'm going to stay put with just the AEM Air intake and stay with stock exhaust...kinda like a sleeper grumble/growl :grin:

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/2218529-post64.html
yup ! :|

·
Premium Member
4,231 Posts
Catalytic converters is required by law, plus your engine's computer will go wonky without it. The converter is necessarily restrictive, to clean emissions. Thus, aftermarket mods on most all cars post-1973 or so, are cat-back systems. So, you can't get too much extra breathing.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Im not interested in loud, im interested in something that will increase my MPG, i dont know a lot about exhaust systems, but what would my best bet be if i wanted to get better MPG? I thought better flow and less restriction would mean better MPG.
I'm fairly certain it would take you more years than it's worth to recover the cost of a modern stainless steel aftermarket exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
Catalytic converters is required by law, plus your engine's computer will go wonky without it. The converter is necessarily restrictive, to clean emissions. Thus, aftermarket mods on most all cars post-1973 or so, are cat-back systems. So, you can't get too much extra breathing.
There are high flow aftermarket cats. Actually they are very common. Some choose to completely decat and retune, most use a high flow cat in place of the more restrictive OEM unit. So the aftermarket provides exhaust systems with cats to scrub the emissions and at the same time more airflow. Win/win.

·
Registered
2014 Sport
3,343 Posts
Hi flow cats will not clean as well as stock and I doubt they are technically legal for street use.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
There are high flow aftermarket cats. Actually they are very common. Some choose to completely decat and retune, most use a high flow cat in place of the more restrictive OEM unit. So the aftermarket provides exhaust systems with cats to scrub the emissions and at the same time more airflow. Win/win.
I wouldn't want to "illegalized" the vehicle now ! >:)

Already asking for trouble with dark tint...but driving well and not hooligan-ing !:grin:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts