Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at installing a Kenwood DPX-500BT head unit in my '08 Ridge RTL, no nav. A note on the Crutchfield site says the subwoofer will not work with this unit, and with many other aftermarket HUs. Anyone know why, and most important, if there's a work around? (I'd rather not have to spring for a new sub and amp.)

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
The amplifier for subwoofer is built into the stock HU. Aftermarkets usually don't have that... they expect you to have a separate amp & hook the sub up that way. Most here do just that (install separate amp), or
2) skip the subwoofer
3) use rear feed with crossovers??? (I really don't know this stuff) to feed the sub

....... you can read MANY MANY threads here on the subject & get some very good advise from some real audiophile members. I'm sure some will chime in shortly... maybe even point you to some pertinent links (again there are MANY).

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
The amplifier for subwoofer is built into the stock HU. Aftermarkets usually don't have that... they expect you to have a separate amp & hook the sub up that way. Most here do just that (install separate amp), or
2) skip the subwoofer
3) use rear feed with crossovers??? (I really don't know this stuff) to feed the sub

....... you can read MANY MANY threads here on the subject & get some very good advise from some real audiophile members. I'm sure some will chime in shortly... maybe even point you to some pertinent links (again there are MANY).
Bottom line is if you desire a sub, and a new head unit, you will need to add amplification of some kind to the mix to drive the current sub. Numerous threads on this including installs behind the passenger seat where the existing sub unit is located and others.

The majority of new HU installs happen when people are looking for better integration of Bluetooth, DVD, or connecting alternative sources. If they also love good sound, they typically include a new sub and amp as well as all new speakers (the honda speakers are pure junk).

The Honda sub is also a piece of junk and you don't need much to drive it. If you are an audio nut, and can live with the current head unit, I might suggest a tweeter upgrade (search the forum) and/or speaker upgrades in the doors. Both will significantly improve your experience for only a little money and no tearing up the interior or using up valuable storage space for equipment.

My experience with this (twice) is that you can get a great listening experience by spending about $300 for just speakers and keep the Honda HU, or about $1200-1500 if you want to go all the way with a new HU and amp/sub. YMMV

Good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts