Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I am in the market for an after market Nav that will work in my RL. Since I have no knowledge or experience with this new technology, any tidbits would be helpful. Also want to know if the system is portable to transfer from one car to the other? :confused:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
For dead reckoning, maybe?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hey Mugen1, try this out. Should be a blue wire with a white trace located at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The PCM should be located behind the passenger side headlight. Wire should be in Connector A Pin 29. I say should because I haven't personally checked this wire yet. I got my information from Directechs which is the Dealer Tech department for Directed Electronics. I hope this helps. Please let me know how everything works out.

·
Registered
146 Posts
12VoltRidgeline said:
Hey Mugen1, try this out. Should be a blue wire with a white trace located at the Powertrain Control Module (PCM). The PCM should be located behind the passenger side headlight. Wire should be in Connector A Pin 29. I say should because I haven't personally checked this wire yet. I got my information from Directechs which is the Dealer Tech department for Directed Electronics. I hope this helps. Please let me know how everything works out.
I just got the service and electrical troubleshooting manuals from Helm today :) I'll see if that pin seems valid. The signal is available (of course) on models with Nav, on one of the connectors going to the DVD unit under the driver's seat. The service manual indicates that these connectors are not installed in non-NAV vehicles (sorry!) I'll see if I can find the other end of the connection.

I haven't had much quality time with the manuals yet. The service manual is 2 1/2 inches thick on 8 1/2 x 11 stock! The electrical manual is a little over an inch thick. Lots 'O Stuff to look at.

A couple interesting things noticed so far:
1) The NAV screen is fed video in RBG format! (very hackable)
2) The "hidden" test screens in the NAV are clearly documented in the manual.
3) The NAV system is monitored by the alarm system and will set it off if removed. (and vehicle locked)
4) The outside temperature reading can be recalibrated plus/minus 5 degrees F using the odo/trip reset button.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
I've had a Garmin 2610 for several years and have just bought the Ridgeline with Nav. My first impressions are that the Garmin is superior in most ways, from it's ease of use (address entry etc), to it's voice prompts, which seem more timely and accurate than the Alpine unit. I also like the fact that you can pre-plan routes via your PC. It would be good if the Honda DVD has some PC software. The 2610 doesn't have dead reckoning and I don't think I ever needed it. I lived in San Franciso at the time and all GPS units, dead reckoning or not, suffer from loss of signals in built up, sky-scraper ridden areas. The dead reckoning is only supposed to fill in signal gaps measured in minutes, rather than pro-longed loss. The 2610 would complain about signal loss after about 30 seconds, which wasn't really a problem. I mean, how many times are you under ground and have a choice of turns to make?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Until I got the Ridge, I used to use a laptop with Delorme Street Atlas running with a gps. It was cool and worked just fine for the past 6 years.

However, you would always wonder when they would update the data so you weren't always running off the road in certain areas...sometimes hundreds and hundreds of feet away from where the map "says" the road should be. (Even after Bill Clinton signed the law to allow "Selective Availablitity to be turned off, thus improving the gps position fixes)

That was then. Now the Alpine Nav in the Ridge may be a couple years behind "current tech", but it has a really nice, subtle feature that shows up by not being obvious.

That is to say, the Ridge's Nav ALWAYs seems to be spot on the road. Is the "verified data" that accurate. I think not. Well, I found in the Service Manual, a description of why this seems to be happening. The Nav uses the GPS data to locate your position, and instead of just plotting it on the map, it locates the nearest, suitable road in the graphic -- and plots you to be on it! Seems to work well, even in the cases where two roads run side by side.

Not bad.

·
Registered
123 Posts
kd4z,
My brief experience is similar.
I have had Garmin 2610 since Dec 04 (didn't know they were around two years ago) and before that a Magellan Sportrack Pro and Lowrance GM 100 for in car Nav. The 2610 is dedicated in car (no battery but can be hooked up to PC USB) with about a 4" diag vivid color lcd screen.

When test driving a NAV Ridge last Sat with nav on, I passed a turn due to gps indication on map of where I was and had to make a youie (the Honda nav showed me approaching the turn I had just missed). The Garmin 2610 was much more accurate guiding to turns. I thought this might be a fluke as I had "navigated" to this remote dealer 70 miles away and was not familiar with 2610 performance in this area though I have been a thousand miles from home and seen no diff in 2610 accuracy.

I'm taking deliv of a Nav Ridge inspite of the Nav gps shortcomings cause I'm tired of placing and removing the 2610 to remove it from temptation and the sat radio as well.

When I test drove, I looked for a location I could place the unit on the Ridge dash, but felt it would obstruct too much front window area and didn't see any "in front of dash" locations I liked as I have in my Odyssey. On the Ody it sits on the steering column behind the wheel and partially obstructs the speedo. This is not a problem except when I navigate as the 2610 speed readout (simultaneous with map) is much more accurate than the Ody speedo - almost 5mph at 65 !? When navigating, I "page" through to speedo/odo screen for speed or glimpse the speedo needle sticking above the guage.

I can't get along without these gps navigators, as son says " He can't find the bathroom without a gps" (only did that once actually). Expect the Honda nav to be workable and more secure. The 2610 will go into wife's pilot (or not - she knows where she is going), or onto eBay and be replaced with a handheld.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Online shopping for Nav units. Saw the Panasonic and the Pioneer with slide open monitor...Any opinions, Pro's or Con's on these products. They really look great!! The Panasonic I think has XM radio?

·
Registered
146 Posts
moonkat,
I'm sure you will get to like the Ridge's Nav as well or better than the handheld units. The display is easy to see and does well in bright conditions.

The data accuracy may be different in your area. In the places I have used it for real navigation of unseen turns, the Nav not only has hit the exit in time, it counts down the feet exactly to within 10 feet. It seems to do exits really well for me. I really like the way it magnifies the actual graphic image of the turn so you can see just what kind of interchange to expect.

Granted, it gets it's left and right backwards sometimes ("turn left" when it displays a right turn :eek: ) but not often.

I got a nice taste of how well the Human Interface is designed when I was able to get it to plot a route to the nearest Italian restaurant after only driving about 5 mins away from the dealership. No book required here to do most of the main features.

My only wish list items for the Nav at this point are: 1) Turn off the damn (useless as a legal binder) nag screen at startup and turn off the message that interrupts the music to tell you that you are travelling on an "unverified road" (I already know I'm not driving on a road!)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Pioneer now offers a few NAV pieces. The AVIC N-2 which is a din size motorized head unit. It is capable of playing DVD movies, but the speed sensor will not allow you to watch a DVD while driving (on the AVIC N-2 screen, but will display on other screens in vehicle if connected) They also offer a motorized double din headunit, the AVIC D-2. It features a 6.5" touchscreen that is motorized. Screen slides down displaying two slots, 1 for DVD NAV and the other for CD/MP3 etc. but not DVD. I have installed more than a dozen or so of Pioneer's last NAV pieces, which was the AVIC N-1, and I love them! Not to rough to install and they work great. Be willing to spend around $2000 depending on where you live, and who does the installation. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
123 Posts
kd4z
Thanks for the reassurrances !
The Garmin 2610 maxes out at 100 foot distance to turn and does not do 10s of feet before turn.

Nag screen come with the territory. All the gps's I've had had one.
The upside is that they did not enable voice. How would that be for nagging?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
12VoltRidgeline said:
Pioneer now offers a few NAV pieces. The AVIC N-2 which is a din size motorized head unit. It is capable of playing DVD movies, but the speed sensor will not allow you to watch a DVD while driving (on the AVIC N-2 screen, but will display on other screens in vehicle if connected) They also offer a motorized double din headunit, the AVIC D-2. It features a 6.5" touchscreen that is motorized. Screen slides down displaying two slots, 1 for DVD NAV and the other for CD/MP3 etc. but not DVD. I have installed more than a dozen or so of Pioneer's last NAV pieces, which was the AVIC N-1, and I love them! Not to rough to install and they work great. Be willing to spend around $2000 depending on where you live, and who does the installation. Hope this helps.
Thanks 12VoltRL, I know it is a beautiful piece of work!! Too much money for me.. :(

·
Registered
307 Posts
12VoltRidgeline said:
Pioneer now offers a few NAV pieces...
Good info, thanks.

I like the idea of a GPS, but I'm at an awkward age relative to eyesight--everything "close" is a struggle for me, and soon I'll need reading glasses. So all these handheld units w/4" screens (or less) are fine if I'm sitting still and holding it close to my face, but NG for anything else.

So the bigger the NAV screen the better. I suppose I would need to rig-up a laptop PC to really do me right, but I've seen folks do that, and usually it looks impossibly geeky... Sigh. :eek:

·
Registered
10,043 Posts
laserfan said:
I suppose I would need to rig-up a laptop PC to really do me right, but I've seen folks do that, and usually it looks impossibly geeky... Sigh. :eek:
Hey, I resemble that remark :)

My PC based NAV works great. Eventually I will purchase a standalone system, but I'm not going to pay $1100 for one. Until then, it's the PC on the console.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just a thought, some vehicles have a good soource for a speed sense at the harness behind the gauge cluster. BE EXTREMELY CAREFUL. Most of the wires in that harness are fairly sensitive.

·
Registered
307 Posts
shovelhd said:
Hey, I resemble that remark :) My PC based NAV works great. Eventually I will purchase a standalone system, but I'm not going to pay $1100 for one. Until then, it's the PC on the console.
I have an old Apple PowerBook (the original Sony-mfred one) that would look great (it's grey) and fit OK (it's small) but the thing is B&W :eek: and even if it DID run any GPS software (it won't) it huffs-and-puffs-out maybe a millionth of a gigaflop per century or something. Wish tablet PCs weren't so expensive--I'd join the geek squad!

1 - 20 of 113 Posts