Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, using this forum a lot since I just replaced my '06 RT with a newer '13 RTL/Nav which I am crazy about. As with everyone else very disappointed in the Nav system and weighing the pros and cons of replacing the system with aftermarket. Wondering if anyone with experience in this area which has been thoroughly discussed here would like to share their thoughts or lend some advice?

I am very concerned about giving up voice control and some of the other great OEM benefits. How about this unit, the Jensen VX7012 or something similar with a motorized popup display? It seems to me this would just be the single Din radio replacement and allow leaving the factory HU untouched. Probably a lot of splicing to share speaker inputs and antennas etc., maybe a small nightmare but I would be willing to give it a try. Maybe get some input from the Crutchfield tech team before the purchase for their recommendations.

My thoughts are this would leave the OEM unit fairly intact and visible, and for navigation only this higher res and less archaic GPS display would pop up IN FRONT of the in dash display.

I will do some more research on my own but would greatly appreciate any input from the technically inclined members on this great forum. Thanks in advance for any assistance or ideas. Danny K.

My apoligies if this has been brought before up or if this thread is in the wrong place, kind of new here. :|

Attachments

·
Registered
784 Posts
Congrats on the new '13 RTL/Navi.

I've been looking at G1s of this vintage as well -- haven't found one yet that quite fits the bill. But I've seen several with and without Navi. With sophisticated smart-phone navigation readily available, I have wondered why anyone pays extra nowadays for an installed nav-system? What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
2010 RT - Bali Blue
4,631 Posts
You are better off Gutting the old Nav unit up and wiring up an aftermarket to run the screen. Since the NAV and Audio system is intertwined in the OEM radios, it is hard to split the two. Its like you want the cake and eat it as well, but cannot. I would say look to build a car-pc (if you are up for it) and get it fitted to the OEM setup.

·
Premium Member
2104 Honda Ridgeline SE
1,810 Posts
With sophisticated smart-phone navigation readily available, I have wondered why anyone pays extra nowadays for an installed nav-system? What am I missing?
I installed a Kenwood DNX893S. Its Garmin has got to know my routine and input my destination before I do. It has a lot of other useful features such as pictures of upcoming exits etc. When we have a bad ice storm Weather Warnings pop up on the screen. I have also had it show Amber alerts. I try to minimize my time messing with my phone while driving so my voice activated HU fits the bill. I like the HD radio best of all.

http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/...233-kenwood-excelon-dnx893s-hu-install-2.html

1 - 4 of 4 Posts