Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
No.

Perhaps crappy installs of aftermarket radios if they somehow damaged the wiring?

What vehicle specifically are we talking about?

Many/most new vehicles have infotainment systems that are fully integrated into many of the vehicles systems. If someone decided to swap in an aftermarket radio in such a vehicle without doing their homework it could wreak some havoc on the vehicles basic systems . . .

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,373 Posts
It'd help to know the specific nature of the 'starting problems' you're hinting (e.g. no 'key-on' start response at all, acting like a low/dead battery, or ...?)

FWIW I agree with @eurban, adding another crappy install issue that can cause 'starting problems' specifically ....

IF the install involves components (especially amplifiers, but sometimes basic HU's too) that are not properly configured to shut-down when the vehicle shuts-down (or shortly after on a time-delay), that can eventually cause 'starting problems' of the low/dead starting battery nature (due to ongoing 'parasitic' battery drain when the vehicle is off).

Improper configurations in this regard may include
  • component connection to wrong vehicle power circuit (un-switched vs switched)
  • improper configuration of 'remote-in' trigger wires
  • failure to properly configure 'remote-in' trigger options within the component if it provides those
  • failure to install external 'remote-in trigger' modules when required by certain components
Not common, and definitely in the crappy instill category, but I've run across it. These issues are independent of specific vehicle, can be screwed-up on any.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Make sure you purchase a radio with a wiring harness pre-made for your specific vehicle. It becomes "plug and play." No problems here.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No.

Perhaps crappy installs of aftermarket radios if they somehow damaged the wiring?

What vehicle specifically are we talking about?

Many/most new vehicles have infotainment systems that are fully integrated into many of the vehicles systems. If someone decided to swap in an aftermarket radio in such a vehicle without doing their homework it could wreak some havoc on the vehicles basic systems . . .
A new Pioneer radio professionally installed in a 2019 RL Sport by a Highly rated audio shop. Honda dealer is blaming them but I think BS, but I'm trying to find out if there is any truth to a Honda tech's statement that aftermarket radios "always' cause problems in Hondas.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Make sure you purchase a radio with a wiring harness pre-made for your specific vehicle. It becomes "plug and play." No problems here.
Yeah, a pro audio shop did it right, I'm pretty sure...Honda just can't figure out the problem and is blaming them, I think...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It'd help to know the specific nature of the 'starting problems' you're hinting (e.g. no 'key-on' start response at all, acting like a low/dead battery, or ...?)

FWIW I agree with @eurban, adding another crappy install issue that can cause 'starting problems' specifically ....

IF the install involves components (especially amplifiers, but sometimes basic HU's too) that are not properly configured to shut-down when the vehicle shuts-down (or shortly after on a time-delay), that can eventually cause 'starting problems' of the low/dead starting battery nature (due to ongoing 'parasitic' battery drain when the vehicle is off).

Improper configurations in this regard may include
  • component connection to wrong vehicle power circuit (un-switched vs switched)
  • improper configuration of 'remote-in' trigger wires
  • failure to properly configure 'remote-in' trigger options within the component if it provides those
  • failure to install external 'remote-in trigger' modules when required by certain components
Not common, and definitely in the crappy instill category, but I've run across it. These issues are independent of specific vehicle, can be screwed-up on any.
Three times in a few weeks my brand new (well now 2K miles)2019 Sport randomly won't start-electrical stuff flashes on but no crank, no start. 10 minutes later it starts like no problem, completely random or so it seems. Honda Dealer I blaming the audio shop that installed the aftermarket radio. A radio upgrade was part of the deal, and the dealer selected the radio and the audio shop but can't figure out the problem. So they are going to reinstall the radio themselves but one of the techs said aftermarket radios "always" cause problems, which seems unlikely to me.

·
Registered
2019 RTL-E (white on beige) in central Texas
1,373 Posts
... but one of the techs said aftermarket radios "always" cause problems, which seems unlikely to me.
Plenty of evidence on this and other forums to discount that offhand comment.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts