Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Green With Envy Moderator
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering an aftermarket security alarm for my Ridgeline. Do any of you have any experience with such systems? If so, what brand(s) would you recommend? Do you all think the Rdigeline even needs an aftermarket alarm?

I have never installed an additional alarm so that is why I have soo many questions. Thanks is advance for your input.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am curious why you think an additional security system is needed. I thought the OEM system on the RTL was adequate. I agree that a professional can get past about any system. That is one reason I got Lojack, to attempt at promptly getting it back if it is stolen or, God forbid, carjacked.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Besides unless you are installing some sort of not so passive deterant like an aggressive electrical shock, its just going to end up like every other alarm out there and just get ignored.

As a guy that dumped $600 into a system once only to have my car broke into and the contents taken I got to go with the stock alarm and good insurance coverage.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think there is a bigger picture here. What is to be gained by stealing your Ridgeline?
1. Too new for chop shops to want it for parts, like accords, mercedes and others that have interchangeable parts.
2. So few out there too easy to spot.
In my area, we have had many breakins. The police and our alarm co. have shown that the suggestion of an alarm system is just as effective as the real thing. Homes (like mine) advertising an alarm system were left alone in favor of those that did not.
A quick story that happened in Richmond, Va many years ago.
A local junk yard was broken into on a regular basis. The owner complained constantly that the police were not providing assistance to keep the felons from stealing his parts.
They told him that providing security for a junkyard was definitely not part of their job.
Soon after, a sign was posted at various locations around his yard that read,
" Guard dog on duty 3 days per week"
Theft stopped immediately. Hope this helped.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Compustar alarms are pretty good.

FM transmiters. The remote has LCD of car, lets you know if battery is low, sends you warning that attempts were/are being made. lots of other features. Visit their web site for more info.

http://www.compustar.org/

I'm not worried about the car being stolen, just the car audio equipment. I've got pain generators installed in the hatch of my Civic and razor blades screwed onto the deck and processors. I'll probably get sued by the thief and spend a small fortune cleaning up the blood on the carpet, but at least I'll know who he or she is. Pay back time later.

I've got the original pain generators (heavy duty and now banned) makes ears bleed and person pass out from exposure to extremely high frequency at high volume levels. Also back up siren and battery.

For the RL, I'll most likely go with a Compustar. It's ideal for someone like me who parks close enough to the workplace for the transmitter to work. These companies claim 6000 ft. range, but in reality, it works about a third of that. Depends on structure and other factors such as electrical interference.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I went with the DEI Viper alarm and auto start. The chip in the key prevents anyone from taking our RL's, but I've found that the factory alarm system wasn't sensitive enough. With the Viper I can adjust the sensitivity.

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all of the replies so far. I wanted to hear what some folks thought about getting the alarm as well as what brands are the best. I am not definitely set on getting an additional alarm and after reading the majority of the posts I probably won't get one. Thank you all very much for the input.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have been installing security systems as well as other mobile electronics professionally for over six years. I have always *upgraded* the security system in all of my cars. I haven't yet, but am going to install an Audiovox remote start alarm w/LCD pager. This requires a bypass module to remote start the truck because of the chip. With aftermarket security you can add additional shock sensors, like in a rear tail light, motion sensors, modules to roll your windows up and down, etc. Audiovox as well as DEI offer a GPS tracking system to personally keep taps on your vehicle via the internet. Audiovox's service is free when you buy the system, DEI's is not. I love aftermarket security mainly because most systems come with a lifetime warranty, and you don't have to put up with an annoying horn every time you set the factory alarm. Call me bias, I OWN MY OWN CAR STEREO SHOP. HA!

·
2,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for your input, 12VoltRidgeline. I still haven't decided if I am going to get an extra alarm or not.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
12VoltRidgeline said:
Call me bias, I OWN MY OWN CAR STEREO SHOP. HA!
Any good looking HUs with NAV coming out to fit the RL DIN? I opted for the RTS so now I am looking for an after-market NAV setup.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Ever thought of having a custom installation done with Drivesoft? Find a screen that fits the width and flush mount the screen with a custom trimplate. The Drivesoft would handle any media you could throw at it.(NAV, video, audio, game system, camera, etc.) If you really don't want to go too high dollar, Pioneer offers a few different NAV packages where you can go with an add-on 8" touch screen or an in-dash motorized screen. Both run just about $2000 or so. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do yet, but I'll keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
2,879 Posts
I had Lojack on the vehicle before my Ridgeline. How I have this new system that works off GPS satellites called MobileGuardian. You should check it out! http://www.mobileguardian.com

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Toobuku said:
I had Lojack on the vehicle before my Ridgeline. How I have this new system that works off GPS satellites called MobileGuardian. You should check it out! www.mobileguardian.com
For anyone trying to follow this link it is http://www.mymobileguardian.com, pretty interesting info. I have used Lojacks in the past, but never had to activate one. The extra security is comforting though. Beyond a vehicle recovery system, I can't think of a good reason to add an additional security system to the vehicle. Just because it is louder and more annoying, do you think anyone in the parking lot is going to give it a second glance?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Most of my customers add aftermarket security sysems mainly for convenience. With aftermarket security, you can add features including: remote start, window modules to roll up/down windows w/remote, LCD pager's that tell you what field was broken, GPS tracking which enables you to always know the security status and where abouts of your vehicle, trunk pop solenoids to remotely pop your trunk if the factory security system won't, the list goes on and on. Now days it's not so much adding aftermarket security as it is adding remote activated convenience that most car manufacturers don't offer. Factory remote start on my Ridge would make me think twice about aftermarket, but it's not offered. The decision is a little easier for me because I know the installer working on my Ridge is MECP certified and has over six years experience in custom mobile installation, not to mention that installer is ME. Besides, most insurance companies give you a lower rate when you have a security system with an auto arming/locking feature. It pays for itself. Only here to help, any questions please ask.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I will be seriously considering a remote start. I live in Minnesota and it gets damn cold here in the winters. Having the car running and the seat warmers going by the time I get there would be AWESOME! :D

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
12VoltRidgeline said:
Besides, most insurance companies give you a lower rate when you have a security system with an auto arming/locking feature. It pays for itself. Only here to help, any questions please ask.
With a Lojack, I already would get the maximum discount that insurance companies give for security systems. It does get cold in Mass but nothing like Minnesota and somewhat less so that I was used to up in Maine. And while remote trunk on my Civic would be nice, I find myself walking past the driver's door most of the time, so I just open the door and pull the latch. The RL already has windows down on remote, but not back up. I can however see how someone may want several of these features. That being said these are not simple security systems because most of the features you discuss are not security features.

·
Registered
91 Posts
As I said before, now days customers look more for the convenience of aftermarket security systems rather than what security features they offer. Most alarms on the market will have nearly identical security features: starter disable, shock sensor, inputs for hood/trunk pin, door trigger, and an annoying siren. Most will even offer to pay a set amount of money towards your deductible if someone steals it.(some up to $5000) Remember, remote start is also there to warm up your engine as well as cool down the inside for those hot afternoons. I live in central California, it gets up to about 106 in August, which means closer to 140 in the car. I don't have any kids, but if I did, I'd like to know there in a safe secure environment at all times. If this means springing for a remote start alarm to cool my vehicle in the hot summer, I'm all for it!

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
12VoltRidgeline said:
I live in central California, it gets up to about 106 in August, which means closer to 140 in the car. I don't have any kids, but if I did, I'd like to know there in a safe secure environment at all times. If this means springing for a remote start alarm to cool my vehicle in the hot summer, I'm all for it!
Try the desert out in east San Diego County (OUCH!). Family has a house out there. My wife is from San Diego area, and her entire family still lives out there. I have been in California in the middle of August, I wish I hadn't. It was fine near the water but inland it was torture, although Disney wasn't too bad, guess that is close enough to the water. In fact they get so used to it that they didn't recognize that their AC in their car was dying till I mentioned it to them (nor that the tires on their car needed to be replaced but that was a different story).

·
Registered
91 Posts
So you kinda feel my pain. Nothing like a hot day and an even hotter vehicle!
Unfortunately, being in Fresno, I'm a good hour + to the nearest lake and maybe double that if we're talking the ocean/beach. I heard Fresno used to be a desert, I would believe it. Summer in the high 90's to low 100's, lots and lots of rain, and a very cold icy winter. Not much snow though, maybe an inch every half century, if it snows. It's definitely not a natural occurance. Anyway, how are you enjoying your RidgeLine?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts