Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

3021 - 3040 of 3641 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts
FWIW, I don't see how it could be 6 months. At this point, my best guess is 1 to 2 months. Yes, I mentioned summer but that seems very unlikely. But I'll be interested to hear what you learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
90 Posts
Great to see that arrived for you AirCoach! It looks much nicer than the OEM Honda one for sure! I have one question for those of you familiar with the Undercover Ultra Flex: Will the "trunk" lid hit the side rails, or will it raise fully when the cover is flipped open two times to the latch or upright rod lock position? I know opening one section will give me something pretty similar to the 40 degree like AirCoach has in the photo, and that will be fine sometimes for getting items in and out that are smaller etc. Is that narrower side rail as close as it looks in the photo, and others are bigger causing trunk lid to rail contact?

Learning from you all,
Thanks Team Ridgeline!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks for the update and the pictures. And the measurements of the the trunk lid. Relieves my worries on that score.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts
But
Great to see that arrived for you AirCoach! It looks much nicer than the OEM Honda one for sure! I have one question for those of you familiar with the Undercover Ultra Flex: Will the "trunk" lid hit the side rails, or will it raise fully when the cover is flipped open two times to the latch or upright rod lock position? I know opening one section will give me something pretty similar to the 40 degree like AirCoach has in the photo, and that will be fine sometimes for getting items in and out that are smaller etc. Is that narrower side rail as close as it looks in the photo, and others are bigger causing trunk lid to rail contact?

Learning from you all,

Thanks Team Ridgeline!
There are two sets of rails on the UnderCover Ultra Flex (and BAK MX4). So the rails jut more than an inch farther into the bed than the Rugged Liner picture just below (credit: AirCoach). And they do impede the trunk lid -- but not before it's something like 75 to 80% open. Most owners say they are satisfied with that once they have a chance to live with it.

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Didn't hear anything from Car-ID so I went to the site and checked on my order status. The ETA for shipping is now 2/23. My guess is that's just a standard two-week bump on something they don't really know. I'm undecided on whether I cancel now and just order something else. the Extang Encor or some of the Diamond Backs are looking tempting and may really be available.

I'm disappointed that CarID hasn't taken a more proactive approach on this issue...or at least answered an email or PM here.

Update: In response to my email I got a call from Car-ID today saying:

1. They told me it was in stock based on information from the distributor.
2. They charged me based on the same information.
3. They didn't have it in stock.
4. He thinks it will ship on or before February 23, but it might be later.
5. They can't keep my order, and refund my money and then charge me when they really have it. They will cancel the order though.

·
Super Moderator
4,728 Posts
But

There are two sets of rails on the UnderCover Ultra Flex (and BAK MX4). So the rails jut more than an inch farther into the bed than the Rugged Liner picture just below (credit: AirCoach). And they do impede the trunk lid -- but not before it's something like 75 to 80% open. Most owners say they are satisfied with that once they have a chance to live with it.

Looks like the rail used on this Rugged Cover is exactly the same as the outside rail on the Bak and UltraFlex. The mounting hardware connecting the rail to the existing screws in the bed look identical also. Overall this looks like a great cover and a definite improvement over the OEM. Honda may as well discontinue their product.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thanks AirCoach for the pics and description.

See the bed top rail is mostly covered preventing mounting of any type of bed rack like the Vantech.

My plans are to put my RTT over a rack or just 3x1.5" rectangular tubes over the bed rail. Will post pics when hardware arrives.

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts
Looks like the rail used on this Rugged Cover is exactly the same as the outside rail on the Bak and UltraFlex. The mounting hardware connecting the rail to the existing screws in the bed look identical also. Overall this looks like a great cover and a definite improvement over the OEM. Honda may as well discontinue their product.
I believe that every single Truck Hero tonneau maker, and that's the majority of them, is using this Truck Hero accessory rail for the 2017-18 Ridgelines. Despite my having railed against rails so often in 2016-17, we can finally see in this AirCoach picture series just how unobtrusive these rails are on their own. I'm completely OK with it.

·
Registered
276 Posts

For the pricing, I personally think Honda would be better off discontinuing THEIR tonneau cover and getting into a deal with Rugged Liner on this...and going for an even lower cost by ordering more. They could get the cost down, sell near the same price they are, install it for people, still make bank on it, and have happier customers.

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts
For the pricing, I personally think Honda would be better off discontinuing THEIR tonneau cover and getting into a deal with Rugged Liner on this...and going for an even lower cost by ordering more. They could get the cost down, sell near the same price they are, install it for people, still make bank on it, and have happier customers.
I've said it before, but you teed me up so well Rman1999 that I'm going to say it again: I think the Rugged Liner would be a good choice for Honda. But an even better choice would be for Honda to make a deal with Truck Hero for the auto manufacturer to distribute the Truck Hero accessory rail for the Ridgeline as a standard Ridgeline accessory. The Ridgeline desperately needs a standard way to attach accessories to the bed. I think this rail is better than the track systems offered by Toyota and Nissan. If Honda did that, we would have more tonneaus available to us. Companies like Leer and Truck Covers USA might decide to release tonneaus for the Ridgeline. Honda could sell the set for $129 list and we could all be buying them online for $89 or less.

Truck Covers USA | The Finest Roll Covers & Accessories on Earth

·
Registered
619 Posts
The dealer I bought from didn't mention the oem cover but had Access covers on a couple trucks and in stock. They were surprised I didn't want one from them for $900.

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts
The dealer I bought from didn't mention the oem cover but had Access covers on a couple trucks and in stock. They were surprised I didn't want one from them for $900.
I've never been a big fan of the Access covers. I like the company but the covers themselves look very retro, but in a pedestrian way. I'm not a big fan of soft covers anyway. You dealer didn't mention the Honda tonneau because they don't carry it. Only Honda carries it. None of the tonneau vendors have it either. You have to buy it from a Honda dealer, most of whom sell it for an enormous markup. It sells for about $700 if you know where to look.

Access, by the way, makes another desirable hard folding tonneau that is not available for the Ridgeline. It might be if Access could count on Honda to provide mounting hardware. It's the Lomax:

https://www.agricover.com/lomax/

The Lomax is all aluminum and very thin, roughly half an inch. It also doesn't use rain gutters. That's because it can overlap the bed rails and it's so thin you barely even notice. I have some questions about the durability of such a cover. They also make it in diamond plate, which might answer those questions. I've been watching this cover for about a year and a half. They only sell to the American car companies and Toyota. Several people have reached out to them to find out whether they might make a Ridgeline version, and the answer has always been no. It's surprising that they don't have Nissan though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I've never been a big fan of the Access covers. I like the company but the covers themselves look very retro, but in a pedestrian way. I'm not a big fan of soft covers anyway. You dealer didn't mention the Honda tonneau because they don't carry it. Only Honda carries it. None of the tonneau vendors have it either. You have to buy it from a Honda dealer, most of whom sell it for an enormous markup. It sells for about $700 if you know where to look.

Access, by the way, makes another desirable hard folding tonneau that is not available for the Ridgeline. It might be if Access could count on Honda to provide mounting hardware. It's the Lomax:

https://www.agricover.com/lomax/

The Lomax is all aluminum and very thin, roughly half an inch. It also doesn't use rain gutters. That's because it can overlap the bed rails and it's so thin you barely even notice. I have some questions about the durability of such a cover. They also make it in diamond plate, which might answer those questions. I've been watching this cover for about a year and a half. They only sell to the American car companies and Toyota. Several people have reached out to them to find out whether they might make a Ridgeline version, and the answer has always been no. It's surprising that they don't have Nissan though.
I had an ACCESS Roll Up Tonneau Cover on my '07 Ridgeline, it was a good cover. The only down side was that in a strong crosswind the vinyl cover at interstate speeds pulsated like a drum, this may have been accentuated by the turbulence created by gusset trim plate between cab and the box.

I, too, looked at the Agri-Cover's early in my search for a cover for my 2G Ridgeline with the thought being - no more vinyl, but since the folks in North Dakota elected not to join in the competition for the hard folding on a 2G Ridgeline , my search turned elsewhere.

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts
I’m leaning to the Pace Edwards as it seems more secure.
Which model? I think you're the first person who's ever mentioned Pace Edwards as a possibility in this thread. I've posted about the brand maybe once or twice. They definitely don't get enough attention.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I’m leaning to the Pace Edwards as it seems more secure.
Be careful that because they are retractable the rails will sit much lower and will impede the opening of your in-bed trunk. Also, the canister will be a space issue. If you live in cold climates, the mechanism might be subject to freezing. I had roll n lock retractable tonneau cover on my G1 and I had these issues. I now have the bakflip mx4 and although it doesn't lock the tail gate like the roll n lock did, i love the fact that my in-bed trunk now opens at almost 100% and that no canister to take up space. The good part about the retractables, at least for the roll n lock, i had less leakage than MX4.

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts
Be careful that because they are retractable the rails will sit much lower and will impede the opening of your in-bed trunk. Also, the canister will be a space issue. If you live in cold climates, the mechanism might be subject to freezing. I had roll n lock retractable tonneau cover on my G1 and I had these issues. I now have the bakflip mx4 and although it doesn't lock the tail gate like the roll n lock did, i love the fact that my in-bed trunk now opens at almost 100% and that no canister to take up space. The good part about the retractables, at least for the roll n lock, i had less leakage than MX4.
Your last point may be more illuminating about the MX4 than it calls out a strength of the Roll 'n' Lock. Actually it's sort of a battle of the form-over-function designs of both retractables and low-profile trifolds.

Most retractable manufacturers freely admit that retractables are nearly impossible to make watertight because of the way they are designed. Meanwhile, trifolds that rest on top of the bed caps are second only to one-piece designs at being relatively better at keeping things dry. But low-profile tonneaus (which rest between the the sides of the bed instead of overlapping the bed caps) have an inherent difficulty in keeping water out that's actually kind of similar to the retractable problem. Ever notice that the Retrax line and the BAKFlip line of tonneaus both have a similar looking wide top seal the runs down both sides? It covers a water-entry vulnerability — the edge between the bed rail and the tonneau.. The wide seal also seeks to prevent wind from blowing water under the edge and into the bed. That's why most low-profile tonneaus use rain gutters on the inside. I call them "gutters" but they are usually secondary parts of the tonneau rail that are designed to funnel water usually toward the front of the truck and out drain holes.

Let's add the Ridgeline into the equation and the second set of rails that are required to adapt the Ridgeline to the MX4's proprietary rails. A part of the water protection is the seal that's made between the outside of the rails and the inside of the bedcaps. There is usually a seal that runs along the top of this junction. The tonneau makers downplay this. But I'm not sure that the Truck Hero accessory rail does as good a job about this seal as their proprietary rails do. The Ridgeline's tonneau installation adds an extra variable there. That second set of rails, which goes between the proprietary rail and the bed rail, also has to pass the water that gets into those side seams across to the rain gutter. I don't know whether it's up to the challenge but it's a variable that I've wondered about. Most of these drawbacks are moot when the Truck Hero accessory rail is used by itself.

Owners of any tonneau that uses the accessory rail may want to comment or clarify. But what brought this on you might ask? AirCoach gave us a PDF of the Rugged Liner accessory rail installation instructions, and I was studying it. :nerd: :grin:

·
Registered
286 Posts
Based on my experience, I found the roll n lock was pretty tight. now let me elaborate, this is based on a car wash test and rain. When compared to mx4, I found roll n lock had much less leakage. However, it could very well be that the place where I had it purchased/installed did not install it with great scrutiny vs. if I had done it. I will need to look at my mx4 more closely in the summer. Also since the roll n lock is one big piece vs foldable, all the water channeled towards the tail gate. This could be due to the design of the G1.

·
Super Moderator
2,809 Posts
Based on my experience, I found the roll n lock was pretty tight. now let me elaborate, this is based on a car wash test and rain. When compared to mx4, I found roll n lock had much less leakage. However, it could very well be that the place where I had it purchased/installed did not install it with great scrutiny vs. if I had done it. I will need to look at my mx4 more closely in the summer. Also since the roll n lock is one big piece vs foldable, all the water channeled towards the tail gate. This could be due to the design of the G1.

Sorry was not at all disputing your experience! Question: Does the Roll N Lock have sealed ball bearing guide wheels of some sort on the sides of the cover? I assume it does but couldn’t find mention of them on the site. It wasn’t an exhaustive search.

3021 - 3040 of 3641 Posts