Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner

3601 - 3620 of 3665 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
Here's a list of tailgate seals from various manufacturers. You may be able to find them cheaper from other sources, such as etrailer.net, Amazon.com or RealTruck.com. I didn't make a study of the pricing. Prices do not include tax and shipping charges.

The ESI product is a great design for Ridgeline owners who are having trouble with the opening their tailgates. The tapered design is less likely to put pressure on the door. Although I've never used the ESI product, it's the one I would choose.

ESI Ultimate Tailgate Seal with "Taper Seal", $21.95 (Amazon)

-- Other notable tailgate seals --
Some of these may well be the ESI product. Some of them are clearly not , judging from the photographs.

Agri-Cover TrailSeal, $25.50

Extang MaxSeal Tailgate Seal, $31.70

Lund 30002 Tailgate Seal, $29.99

Pace Edwards WeatherGate Tailgate Seal, $28.26

Truxedo TruxSeal, $23.36

·
Registered
623 Posts
Extang MaxSeal Tailgate Seal, $31.70 was what I tried that bound up the tailgate, and with that experience I would not attempt again to use any "bulb" type seal, which all of these appear to be?

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
Extang MaxSeal Tailgate Seal, $31.70 was what I tried that bound up the tailgate, and with that experience I would not attempt to use any "bulb" type seal.

Bill
Great info. So, cross that one off the list. Based on the installation video of the Agri-Cover product, TrailSeal, I wouldn't recommend it either, at least, not in the way that they show installing it. It has a taper too, but they show it with that big side toward the crease. When I have some time I'm going to look up some ESI installation videos.

Just looked at this video on the ESI website. You might find it interesting,@wjfyfe. It's about how to position the bulb to not put too much pressure on the seal and the door. That's the whole idea behind this tapered seal thing.

·
Registered
623 Posts
For the price I just ordered this just to see if this system is viable as a tailgate seal.

Bill

·
Super Moderator
2,833 Posts
This thread is getting way too serious! Just use this SlabGasket driveway seal. Happy Labor Day.
Hey, look, it tapers! I like it! ;)

·
Vendor
1,765 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
For the price I just ordered this just to see if this system is viable as a tailgate seal.

Bill
A quick down-n-dirty install to just see if this is a viable option. Not real elegant but it appears that it should do the job though a possible issue is that this 7/8" weatherstrip just marginally fills the gap, especially across the bottom. Other than non-coverage in each of the bottom corners, overall it is appearing to seal without putting any pressure and binding the tailgate. Obviously it would also be better if it can be found in black?

Bill

·
Registered
623 Posts
We were asked today why we went for a soft tonneau cover, wouldn't a hard cover be more secure? My answer was that yes, a hard cover may be marginally more secure, but the fact is that all any tonneau cover is doing is keeping cargo out of weather and sight, so hopefully out of mind. None of the covers are designed to be structurally secure, so basically it is there just to help keep an honest person honest. So, when it comes right down to it if that burglar is determined to get into the bed, we would much rather that they take a knife to the soft top rather than a crowbar .....................

Oh, by the way, using that v-seal weather stripping I was experimenting with, well, I washed the Ridgeline today and when the seal got wet it just peeled right off, so it is back to the drawing board I go.

Bill

·
Registered
134 Posts
I just got the Truxedo LoPro because I had one on my Tundra for 8 years and it held up very well. Looks great on the RL and seems to be as well made and integrates well. Had a huge rain storm here in Montana last week and not a drop inside. I like the roll up soft tops better than the try fold because I can use the whole bed that way if need be. $499 was the cost and the people who did my clear bra put it on

·
Registered
38 Posts
I just got the Truxedo LoPro because I had one on my Tundra for 8 years and it held up very well. Looks great on the RL and seems to be as well made and integrates well. Had a huge rain storm here in Montana last week and not a drop inside. I like the roll up soft tops better than the try fold because I can use the whole bed that way if need be. $499 was the cost and the people who did my clear bra put it on
Does this model have rails that prohibit the in-bed trunk lid from opening fully?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just switched out from the Extang fold 2.0 to the Diamondback SE. Couldn’t be happier. I always had the issue of pushing my rtic cooler out of the way of the trunk to get stuff. Now that the Diamondback opens from both ends. I just leave the cooler to the front and still can access it. My issues are solved.

Attachments

·
Registered
302 Posts
Does this model have rails that prohibit the in-bed trunk lid from opening fully?
I'm pretty sure it does prevent the trunk lid from opening to it's full height. That was always my concern as well. But from what I can see, it really doesn't cause any issues from accessing the storage area. The trunk lid still opens to an accessible height. I'm also considering getting the Low Pro as I had one on my previous truck.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Here's a list of tailgate seals from various manufacturers. You may be able to find them cheaper from other sources, such as etrailer.net, Amazon.com or RealTruck.com. I didn't make a study of the pricing. Prices do not include tax and shipping charges.

The ESI product is a great design for Ridgeline owners who are having trouble with the opening their tailgates. The tapered design is less likely to put pressure on the door. Although I've never used the ESI product, it's the one I would choose.

I bought and installed the ESI seal. Price was $21.95 on Amazon, current link is https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IPQWXZQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm very happy with it. Below are some pictures of my install on my 2017 RTL-E, with its Rugged Liner tonneau top. It was easy to do, and it fills the gaps nicely So far it seems to prevent dust from being sucked into my bed. I installed it on a warm day on a clean bed, then used 70% isopropyl (rubbing) alcohol (they also give you a swab of that to use) to final clean where its adhesive strip went, then used a rubber roller to press it firmly. They give you more than enough to complete the G2 Ridgeline install (I had about 2' left over). I'm going to use the leftovers to do better-cut replacements of the short two bottom pieces on each side.

DISCLAIMER: It's possible that the tailgate-to-body gaps may vary by Ridgeline (depending on how it was adjusted by the factory), so your results with the ESI seal may vary (i.e. - your seal may either not fill the gap, or may be too tight). So your results may vary (but I suspect my good results may be more common than not).

View from back (on the long bottom piece, its wide hollow end faces upwards)

Left side closeup (the wide hollow end faces inwards at sides, and downwards at top)

Right side closeup (the wide hollow end faces inward at sides, and downwards at top)

It seals nicely when the tailgate is closed. The sides also seal equally nice.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just switched out from the Extang fold 2.0 to the Diamondback SE. Couldn’t be happier. I always had the issue of pushing my rtic cooler out of the way of the trunk to get stuff. Now that the Diamondback opens from both ends. I just leave the cooler to the front and still can access it. My issues are solved.
What did you do with the old cover? Sell it? I need one

·
Registered
271 Posts
Being able to access from either end - that'd sure make a cover easier to live with. Will it be hard to remove altogether if you need to? Any pictures from the outside and maybe of the rail system would sure be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Just found the Diamondback video. Wow, that's quite an enhancement, and looks like straightforward install/operation: https://www.autoanything.com/tonneau-covers/diamondback-se-truck-bed-cover

Would still love a pic of the RL with it installed. Thanks.

3601 - 3620 of 3665 Posts