Honda Ridgeline Owners Club Forums banner
3821 - 3840 of 3857 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
I am looking at tonneau covers, and looking for some advice. After a fair amount of research, it seems like the Lomax is a good fit for me because of how easy it is to remove, it is pretty watertight, and it preserves bed height under the cover.
But what I am struggling with is that while 80-90% of the time a tonneau will be perfectly fine for my needs, there are times where I may need more useable covered space than a tonneau, which has made me consider a cap. We often go camping or on long road trips where I likely can't fit all my gear under the tonneau or inside the cab. I often bring kayaks, mountain bikes, skis, or other outdoor gear (in addition to camping gear) so all that stuff adds up.

I don't really like the idea of having a hardshell cap on my truck permanently/100% of the time, especially if it is heavy and requires 2 people to remove. My wife has back issues and I don't want her to have to help me install/remove on a whim. I also don't like the idea of having more obstructed rear/side vision all the time. Outside of the bigger trips we take, the tonneau makes much more sense day to day and week to week.

As far as needing more space than a tonneau for covered loads, I think security is a lesser (although still somewhat existent) concern than protection from weather. Something better than just throwing a tarp over things is what I'm thinking of. I've considered using the OEM cargo net but I don't know how compatible it is with the Lomax (or other similar tonneaus) installed. And it won't offer weather protection.

So I'm looking at a few different potential options:
  • I could get a Lomax tonneau (or similar) and due to its ease of removal, remove when needed to put on a lightweight (soft) cap that is fairly easy to install/remove only when I need it? What soft/light cap products might I consider? The only ones I see are Softopper and Fas-top (more on that one next) - so does anyone have experience with the Softopper? Would it be compatible with the Lomax rails which stay in place when the cover is off?
  • I could get a Fas-top, which converts from tonneau to soft cap and that would mean no need for the Lomax. I'm not sure if the tonneau will be as roomy underneath or as nice as the Lomax though. Does anyone have experience with this or know of any similar products?
  • Is there any other product (or combination of products) that I may want to consider here? I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks in advance for your help.
If you want a cap, you might be able to find one light enough to remove & replace yourself. I had one on my Chevy years ago that I would get under it like a turtle and push up with my back and walk it down to the end, and then I could tilt it down & remove it, then reverse the process to put it back on. On my G1 RL I had a heavier cap and I never removed it. I really liked all that room inside the cap, but with my G2 I went with a tonneau because I also did not like the obstructed rear/side vision, partly for safety and partly for pleasure--it is just nicer to be able to see all around you when driving in the beautiful countryside. Since the RL bed is so shallow though, you are quite restricted in what you can carry under a tonneau.

Another option to consider is the Diamondback tonneau. You can carry a lot on top of it. I think the regular one is rated for 400 lbs. but you could probably do more if it were distributed properly. Or you can get the HD version and carry even more weight on top, including an ATV if you want. It comes with 4 cleats on top, but it doesn't cost much more to add 2 or 4 more cleats (I probably would have ordered it with 8 cleats if I had known of that option.

I was disappointed in the Fas-top website. They couldn't even be bothered to put a video on there to show how it works, and they dodged the question about security.

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I think I would suggest the Fas-top, (intriguing, if it works as well as it is advertised).................................
Bill
OK, I keep returning to this Fas-Top idea:

By chance does anybody have any first hand experience with this product?

Bill

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another option in which you did not mention is an appropriately sized trailer, be it utility, camping, other.

Bill
Bill, we are actually thinking of getting a small camping trailer, but it's probably a year or two down the road (I'm currently interested in a few different A-Liner and Forest River R-Pod models). I don't know if that would fully address my capacity for gear storage, as there may be trips where I'm not taking a camper but want more storage room. But do you happen to have any small utility trailers in mind that I might want to consider?

If you want a cap, you might be able to find one light enough to remove & replace yourself. I had one on my Chevy years ago that I would get under it like a turtle and push up with my back and walk it down to the end, and then I could tilt it down & remove it, then reverse the process to put it back on. On my G1 RL I had a heavier cap and I never removed it. I really liked all that room inside the cap, but with my G2 I went with a tonneau because I also did not like the obstructed rear/side vision, partly for safety and partly for pleasure--it is just nicer to be able to see all around you when driving in the beautiful countryside. Since the RL bed is so shallow though, you are quite restricted in what you can carry under a tonneau.

Another option to consider is the Diamondback tonneau. You can carry a lot on top of it. I think the regular one is rated for 400 lbs. but you could probably do more if it were distributed properly. Or you can get the HD version and carry even more weight on top, including an ATV if you want. It comes with 4 cleats on top, but it doesn't cost much more to add 2 or 4 more cleats (I probably would have ordered it with 8 cleats if I had known of that option.

I was disappointed in the Fas-top website. They couldn't even be bothered to put a video on there to show how it works, and they dodged the question about security.
tmz, I'm assuming you are referring to a hard shell cap? I'm open to suggestions for one that might be light enough, but I haven't found one yet that would be lightweight and also fit the Ridgeline.
I totally agree with you about the obstructed vision - I would prefer to not have a cap permanently on my bed for that very reason.

As far as carrying stuff on top of a tonneau such as the Diamondback, that's a good idea that I hadn't really explored. I guess you just use the cleats to tie stuff down, or get the Front Runner rack system that mounts to the top of the Diamondback? If I could use my Yakima rooftop cargo box with the Front Runner rack, then this might be a good solution. Or just using the cleats. Any other methods of mounting gear on the top of it?

I don't know why it's not on the website, but Fas-Top does seem to have an install video here (in addition to the video that Bill posted):

OK, I keep returning to this Fas-Top idea:

By chance does anybody have any first hand experience with this product?

Bill
I'm really liking the concept of the Fas-Top, but my only concern is that it seems like there aren't a ton of reviews or user feedback out there about how well it works (especially for the Ridgeline, but even for other trucks). It doesn't seem as "proven" as some other widely-used caps or tonneau covers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yesterday I installed the Honda OEM tonneau cover on my 2020 RTL-E. It was super easy to install and I really like it so far. As many have stated on this forum the trunk lid does open to about 80% which gives you pretty good access to the trunk. However at 80% open it does block the bed lights from shining into the trunk. You fold back one segment of the cover and the trunk opens 100%. I’ll be watching for leaks and might have to try some of the remedies mentioned in this forum.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Yesterday I installed the Honda OEM tonneau cover on my 2020 RTL-E. It was super easy to install and I really like it so far. As many have stated on this forum the trunk lid does open to about 80% which gives you pretty good access to the trunk. However at 80% open it does block the bed lights from shining into the trunk. You fold back one segment of the cover and the trunk opens 100%. I’ll be watching for leaks and might have to try some of the remedies mentioned in this forum.
There are several different rechargeable magnetic LED lights available that can be used to supplement the bed lighting when not reaching inside the trunk. I have a set myself and they are very well worth the money. Here is one such discussion:

Reactions: nickison

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are several different rechargeable magnetic LED lights available that can be used to supplement the bed lighting when not reaching inside the trunk. I have a set myself and they are very well worth the money. Here is one such discussion:
Thank you. I really did look in this forum but there’s so much info it’s easy to overlook something.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Thank you. I really did look in this forum but there’s so much info it’s easy to overlook something.
I put the motion sensor rechargeable ones in. Perfect fit, no wiring to run and I only have to charge them around twice per year. They turn on instantly when the trunk is opened. NOTE: You don't want to have a basketball in there rolling around, or you might be charging them daily in that case lol.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Do they come on when driving?
They should not, unless you have something moving around inside your trunk. That would most likely trigger them.

Reactions: Solo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Diamondback SE & Bed Mat installed this weekend. Happy with both. Had 2 days of pouring rain here this week and the bed was dry. I'm sure something dripped in but everything was dry to the touch this afternoon. I hadn't opened the Diamondback since installation last Sunday so the weather stripping could cure per the instructions.
View attachment 400103 View attachment 400105
I’m lookimg at the Diamondback SE . Can you confirm that the internal trunk lid will open 100%. I need it to fully open. It looks close in the pics. Thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’ll take photos when I’m out of work. But it’s awesome. I called Diamondback and got the black hinges and bolts to match. The new ones come standard all black.
I transport a lot of gear in my truck. From tac gear, Nightvision and rifles at times. and the Diamondback is the only one I trust. The locking aspect is perfect.
View attachment 396955
I just bought a 21 Sport and I’m interested in the Diamomdback SE. I need the internal trunk lid to open 100% fully. Does the cover impead the internal lid in any way? It looks close in the pics. thanks

·
Registered
2019 Ridgeline Touring
148 Posts
I have the HD model and the inner cover does touch the inside of the rear section when both are open. It is very close to being fully open so it hasn’t been an issue for me taking big awkward things out of the trunk. Just have to watch that the trunk cover doesn’t hit the DB cover as it swings open or the plastic cover could get scratched or dented.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have the HD model and the inner cover does touch the inside of the rear section when both are open. It is very close to being fully open so it hasn’t been an issue for me taking big awkward things out of the trunk. Just have to watch that the trunk cover doesn’t hit the DB cover as it swings open or the plastic cover could get scratched or dented.
Thanks for replying. My needs for the internal trunk demand that it open pretty much all the way. I can spare maybe an inch or so. I really hate to ask, but would it be possible at some point for you to get me the measurement from the back end of therail cap to where theDB bracket starts? Orthe distance theinternal lid goes before it hits? I’ve attached some pics showing the measurement to full open.

thanks so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
218 Posts
As a follow up review to the Rugged Cover I have had for well over two years now, I will say that while it is a cover, it certainly is not rugged. I am not abusive or especially hard on it, but it has accumulated a number of dents and scratches. I don’t unfold it or take it on and off a great deal, but it looks fairly beat up anyway. I don’t think I would get another one based on that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
With the truckbed box looking like a normal pickup, we will now see the availability of top-mounted tonneau covers.

Much better look, and better aerodynamics.

And with that we will have the situation that items can be a tiny bit taller going under a cover, than a Gen1 with tonneau. This, because the tailgate of a Gen2 is about 3/4" taller than a Gen1.

Do you suppose Honda gave sufficient spec information to all the well-known tonneau makers, in advance of this June release, so that they can be ready?
I have a BakFlip for sale here: FS: Bakflip Model F1 tonneau cover for Gen2 Ridgeline

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey all, so my Truxedo Sentry Ct cover came in from Burtman Industries. Took about 7 business days to arrive and was provided with a tracking number once shipped. Overall I was happy with the experience from Burtman Industries and the cover.

The install was super easy but it took a couple attempts to get the rails correct. The first attempt I am not sure what exactly happened but when I went to roll the cover closed one side of the cover was not entering the rails and the cover was going on top of the rail as if the cover was crooked. When you close it the velcro contacts so it isn't like you can adjust it as you are closing. I had to readjust the rails and now the cover operates as it should. It sits rather flush and looks really good. The tailgate opens and closes both ways without having to open the cover. However if you close the tailgate without opening the cover the seal will not sit on top of the tailgate top as in the first photo. So I open the cover (only unlocking it not rolling it all the way back) and then close the tailgate so the seal sits right. Hope this helps someone.

Now I have a locking cover and the honda OEM tailgate lock(rekeyed to match my car's key) and am very happy. both installs were super easy so would recommend if you are thinking of it save the money and do it yourself.

How secure would you say this is? Essentially, does it keep out opportunists (versus targeted theft - which almost no cover can prevent against)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading though this and other threads for a year and a half I finally made a decision and went with the Diamondback SE, thank you to all those thorough reviews everyone has submitted!

Got lucky and snagged an SE model from Diamondbacks Outlet so it was slightly less spendy (diamondbacks quality control must be on point because for a rejected product I can barely notice the imperfection, and that’s with them being very clear in where the “dent” is).

I got it because the ridgeline has such a shallow bed I wanted something that I can load gear on top of the cover (think large coolers and the like), and have a system for transporting bikes and my 14’ Porta-bote (google them, it’s awesome). I will eventually add the diamondback cover mount and possibly the HD cab guard to use as the ladder rack setup for the boat (for right now Ill be using a set of rhino racks that I’ll install this weekend). Side note I can attest that you can 100% walk around on it (I’m 200lbs), and fully expect this cover to outlive the truck.

@Sticks34 I’ll try to remember to take photos of those measurements later.

·
Registered
143 Posts
After reading though this and other threads for a year and a half I finally made a decision and went with the Diamondback SE, thank you to all those thorough reviews everyone has submitted!

Got lucky and snagged an SE model from Diamondbacks Outlet so it was slightly less spendy (diamondbacks quality control must be on point because for a rejected product I can barely notice the imperfection, and that’s with them being very clear in where the “dent” is).

I got it because the ridgeline has such a shallow bed I wanted something that I can load gear on top off the cover (think large coolers and the like), and have a system for transporting bikes and my 14’ Porta-bote (google them, it’s awesome). I will eventually add the diamondback cover mount and possibly the HD cab guard to use as the ladder rack setup for the boat (for right now Ill be using a set of rhino racks that I’ll install this weekend). Side note I can attest that you can 100% walk around on it (I’m 200lbs), and fully expect this cover to outlive the truck.

@Sticks34 I’ll try to remember to take photos of those measurements later. View attachment 415457 View attachment 415460 View attachment 415459
You’re not lying. The Porta-bote looks pretty cool.

What model do you have?
EDIT - disregard, I see it’s called the 14 foot

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for replying. My needs for the internal trunk demand that it open pretty much all the way. I can spare maybe an inch or so. I really hate to ask, but would it be possible at some point for you to get me the measurement from the back end of therail cap to where theDB bracket starts? Orthe distance theinternal lid goes before it hits? I’ve attached some pics showing the measurement to full open.

thanks so much!
@Sticks34 below are some measurements that you hopefully find helpful. The bed-trunk lid doesn’t come into contact with the Diamondback side rails, but does touch two support posts on the center rail of the diamondback cover (see image).

and for anyone else interested I took a couple other photos of the in bed clearances with the diamondback SE closed at the two lowest points of the cover(I would assume the HD model would be extremely similar). One right in the center of the bed and the other at both sides just inside the wheel wells. I was very impressed to see a YETI 65 can slide all the way under the SE.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I read your post about the OEM cover... i think that was 4 months ago... Do you like the OEM version now that you've had it a while? does it keep the water out when traveling?
Thanks.

3821 - 3840 of 3857 Posts